Low carb to burn fat

I know it's not super realistic to stay on a low carb diet forever but just curious if it really does burn fat storages?

and possible to slowly up your carbs again once you get where you want to be?

also is it the best option when you're getting close to goal weight?

Replies

• Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Been there, done that. Essentially all you are doing on a low carb is cutting calories by not eating carbs. (as protein and fiber and fat help fill you up.) Stick to a balanced healthy diet, and you will have longer lasting, more sustainable, and better success.

The low carb DOES work to an extent, but no better than a calorie controlled diet. (Speaking about both from experience)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member
    I know it's not super realistic to stay on a low carb diet forever but just curious if it really does burn fat storages?

and possible to slowly up your carbs again once you get where you want to be?

also is it the best option when you're getting close to goal weight?
    Low carb generally will use fat for it's preferential fuel source, but those are dietary fat, not body fat. People confuse this all the time. Everyone loses weight when our metabolism needs to make up the calorie difference when we don't supply the body with enough of those dietary fuels. In other words we use body fat for fuel when we're in a deficit, not because we removed carbs.
  • RunnrMike
    RunnrMike Posts: 14 Member
    Well, I've been on a low carb diet since Jan 1 and I've lost 14 lbs so far. I've never been able to lose more than 5 lbs with my other attempts (typically, cut back on food in general and work out). I read a book on the topic and then decided that I should try it on a trial basis just to see if what they're saying is true. Seems legit to me. This past weekend I had a regular meal, with carbs from corn chips and rice (it was worth it) and gained almost 3 lbs. So, I would think that once you get to your ideal weight range, you can manage it by allowing for carbs every now and then. Carbs are less harmful if you have them in conjunction with a good workout. I found the following blog as helpful in learning more about this approach. http://eatingacademy.com
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Well, I've been on a low carb diet since Jan 1 and I've lost 14 lbs so far. I've never been able to lose more than 5 lbs with my other attempts (typically, cut back on food in general and work out). I read a book on the topic and then decided that I should try it on a trial basis just to see if what they're saying is true. Seems legit to me. This past weekend I had a regular meal, with carbs from corn chips and rice (it was worth it) and gained almost 3 lbs. So, I would think that once you get to your ideal weight range, you can manage it by allowing for carbs every now and then. Carbs are less harmful if you have them in conjunction with a good workout. I found the following blog as helpful in learning more about this approach. http://eatingacademy.com

Low carb diets work for most people because it's a way of cutting your caloric intake. It's much harder to eat 2000 calories from soely fat and protein then it is from fat protein and carbs.

Also, on a low carb diet you will not retain as much water weight. Corn chips are high in sodium and sodium causes you to retain more water, therefore those 3lb were most likely all water weight. That usually drops after a day or two as long as you have a high water intake.

Personally I don't think low carb diets are worth the hastle, especially if you rely on the scales as one meal with high carbs could cause you to retain a lot of water. The only time I'd ever go on a low carb diet is if I was trying to look shredded for something (e.g a holiday or a compeititon) and that would be a maximum of two weeks.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess those 3lbs weren't all fat. And lol to Attia and his buddy Taubes
  • neanderthin

Low carb diets work for most people because it's a way of cutting your caloric intake. It's much harder to eat 2000 calories from soely fat and protein then it is from fat protein and carbs.

Also, on a low carb diet you will not retain as much water weight. Corn chips are high in sodium and sodium causes you to retain more water, therefore those 3lb were most likely all water weight. That usually drops after a day or two as long as you have a high water intake.

Personally I don't think low carb diets are worth the hastle, especially if you rely on the scales as one meal with high carbs could cause you to retain a lot of water. The only time I'd ever go on a low carb diet is if I was trying to look shredded for something (e.g a holiday or a compeititon) and that would be a maximum of two weeks.
    Getting sugar cravings under control, reducing the overall glucose load that most obese people could do without and the satiating effects would the only justifiable reasons in my opinion
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    No reason to ever go low carb, ever.

When you cut weight, it comes from lowering carbs only because it's NOT an essential nutrient. So on a cutting phase or weight loss phase your carbs will be a bit lower. When you eat at maintenance calories, they will be higher.

When you are on a low carb diet, and go and eat carbs all day, you WILL see a weight gain from GLYCOGEN LEVELS & WATER WEIGHT, IT WILL TAPER OFF IN A FEW DAYS.

The only reason you see competitors on stage using low carb diets are JUST to get absolutely shredded for ONE DAY on stage, after that they eat carbs. So if your not competing on stage there's really no reason to cut carbs out entirely, or go low carb.

WEIGHT LOSS COMES FROM A DEFICIT IN CALORIES, NOT A DEFICIT IN CARBOHYDRATES.
  • neanderthin

When you cut weight, it comes from lowering carbs only because it's NOT an essential nutrient. So on a cutting phase or weight loss phase your carbs will be a bit lower. When you eat at maintenance calories, they will be higher.

When you are on a low carb diet, and go and eat carbs all day, you WILL see a weight gain from GLYCOGEN LEVELS & WATER WEIGHT, IT WILL TAPER OFF IN A FEW DAYS.

The only reason you see competitors on stage using low carb diets are JUST to get absolutely shredded for ONE DAY on stage, after that they eat carbs. So if your not competing on stage there's really no reason to cut carbs out entirely, or go low carb.

You mean, in your world.
  • martyqueen52

You mean, in your world.

No, I mean, in general. Thanks though :)
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Okay - so I could do this for say 2 weeks before my wedding and should see results? but until then just keep working at a calorie deficit
  • martyqueen52
    Okay - so I could do this for say 2 weeks before my wedding and should see results? but until then just keep working at a calorie deficit

Sure. Or, if you really wanted, you can go low carb for a few weeks to look not so "full" as they say. But don't be surprised when you drop a few lbs of water weight and it comes back when you up your carbs again.

But eating at a deficit will always be the key point in weight loss. No matter if you eat Reese's Cups and ice cream all day, as long as that deficit is there, you WILL drops the lbs. Good luck and congrats!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Like a PP said, low carb is a way to cut down your eating by making you feel more full so you eat less calories. Just a means to a deficit.

If you don't have a lot of weight to lose left, have you been using low carb to lose the weight? If you've lost weight using low calorie, I would personally just stick to what I know. It'll take longer to lose weight as you get closer to goal weight.

I eat low carb to lose weight, but if your profile pic is even somewhat accurate I have more weight to lose than you do. I was successful in losing weight and maintained it until I got pregnant. (I ate carbs again and didn't stick to specific Atkins phases although I loosely followed it). For those on Atkins there are 4 phases...and you may be in about the 3rd phase.
    The Program: Phase 3

From Atkins website on phase 3: "You’re probably now just 10 pounds from your goal weight, which you’ll achieve in Phase 3, Pre-Maintenance (Fine-Tuning). In this Phase, you will gradually see how much you can raise your daily Net Carb intake while exploring the final three rungs of the Carb Ladder." In phase 3 you eat whole grains, starchy veggies and additional fruits (like pears....berries were introduced earlier). In this phase you lose may lose only 1lb a week which is very different from the induction phase (the 1st phase). Which is basically what you may lose doing what you already are.

Don't take this the wrong way, but don't rush this last bit of weight and get obsessive over it. If you choose to do low carb and start at induction, then you will gain a few pounds once you start eating more and more carbs.
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    I am under a Doctors supervision on a very low carb low cal weight loss program for 12 weeks. They have been trying all kinds of things with me in the past and this is the first one that I have seen results on. I have done this same cal range but not low carb and never lost a lbs. So for me this low carb low cal is really working well. Good luck.
  • allana1111
    Yeah using portion control and exercising is what helped me drop the first 15 lbs but now its gotten hard.. and I have stubborn fat on my inner and outer thighs, so I thought maybe cutting carbs would help burn that fat up
  • allana1111
    also those with success on low carb, did u eat as much other food as you wanted? or did u watch calories too?
  • RunnrMike
    RunnrMike Posts: 14 Member
    I use MPF to track carbs and protein counts, but by default it counts calories as well. While I do not try to eat below my recommended daily calorie goals, I find that I rarely go above the daily goals because I'm simply not hungry enough to eat so much to go over the daily limit. To me, that's been the biggest difference with this diet, I'm not hungry very often and have not once had a case where I desired to bing eat, like I used to when eating chips, ice cream, oreo's, etc.

I know there are a lot of opinions out there about what diet is the best and even the experts will tell you that the low-carb approach is not the best for everyone. I do not care to enter into arguments with those who disagree with the low-carb approach; it's like politics & religion, nothing will ever change their mind so its pointless. All I can share is my experience. Facts: lost 14 lbs since Jan 1st, do not have a desire to bing eat, I feel like I have more energy and am more alert mentally, my muscles recover better after my workouts (after running in particular is most noticable). I'm no expert, just a guy who needed to lose some weight & found something that works for me. I encourage everyone to do their own research and come to their own conclusions, experiment if you think something sounds good. You really won't know for sure until you try.
  • martyqueen52
  • neanderthin
  • martyqueen52
    Because scientific studies with actual proof are fiction, srs.