Can I lose weight without going low carb?

Options

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Of course you can lose weight without eating low carbs. I don't know anyone that's ever suggested otherwise. It's simply that some people find it easier to lose weight when eating low carb.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yup, I love carbs too much to give them up and I've lost lots of weight.
  • joandue
    joandue Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Of course you can... I have. I will never give up carbs.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Anyone that can rock a beard such as yourself is someone that knows it all! Nice day to you my friend.

Valid point. Or not... it's still a calorie deficit that created the weight loss.
  • didislim
    Options
    I used to think low carb ( South Beach) was the only way I could get my body to lose weight. Then, I lost a bunch of weight on WWs and I am now losing very easily on the MyFitness Pal plan. I'm just logging my foods as I eat them during the day and I'm losing 1 pound a week. Plus, I can eat anything and don't have to deal with those insane exchanges on WW.
    I had felt like my metabolism ground to a halt in the past few years with getting closer to menopause. Now, I'm finding that I was just taking in too many calories, like everyone else.

Thank you so much for your response. I am getting a variety of responses, and although its great I am finding some people critiquing my past diet choices. I understand that losing weight on the diets I did in the past were wrong which is why I am here. I am 50 pounds overweight. So I can lose 8-10 pounds a month. I don't have 20 or 10 pounds to lose I have much more. I don't understand why people are telling me that it is wrong to lose 10 pounds a month.
    I didn;t think my weight loss goal was ridiculoius, but I guess I will reevaluate. They reccomend 1-2 pounds a week. so then whats 8-10 pounds a month?

Anyways...thanks again.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes please do! Research good carbs eliminate bad carbs as much as possible.

Yes, exactly what she posted. There is a difference.

Carbs are starches, sugars, and fiber. Almost all carbs contain some proportion of all three, especially veggies. How are you going to dissect a vegetable in such a way that you are only eating the good parts? Unless you mean peeling the skin off or whatever...
  • didislim
    Options

Thanks so much for your response and for answering my question instead of critiquing my past diet choices like some others. Thanks so much for the encouragement.
  • roniredd
    Options
    Of course! I love carbs ... all of 'em!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    After my husband was told by his doctor to get his carbs to 100grams a day, he lost weight. I believe it was 20 pounds over a six month period(give or take). He also exercised, so I am sure that helped.

But, to answer your question, I think you can loose weight without going low carb.
    your husband lost weight because he was eating fewer calories. the carb restriction was a caloric restriction.

After giving your comment so thought and given the fact that I am stubborn, I do not agree with your statement. He didn't reduce his caloric intake. He was eating protein enriched foods which did not equal FEWER calories. He found a good balance between what the dr wanted and not feeling hungry all the time.

that's fine that you disagree with my statement, it doesn't mean you're right. You can't argue against calorie deficit = weight loss. There are a hundred thousand ways to approach that equation. Carb reduction is one of them.

was your husband logging his calories? No? Well, most likely case was that he was eating at a deficit. Problem solved.

Assumptions on here run amok. To answer your question he was logging his calories. Are you saying that foods rich in protein and low in carbs are low in calories as well?
    you can almost hear the point whooshing over your head.

he was at a caloric deficit. He was eating less than his TDEE. That's how he lost the weight.

I heard the whoosh all the way over here. :smokin:
  • didislim
    Options
    I tried low carb, and didn't like the way it made me feel after a few days. Actually I didn't end up losing either, I gained. As soon as I went back to just counting calories and staying within my macros, the weight was coming off.

Hi there! Thanks so much. Actually I always lost weight with low carbs but I too felt very lightheaded, cranky, irritable. Like I was having Low blood sugar. I don't have any problems with Diabetes or Hyperglycemia so I am fine with respect to that. I also don't believe I am insulin resistant. I would always end up binging after being off the diet especially because of frustration with weight gain once I re-introduced carbs. Plus who wants to eat meat and veges everyday without the occasional sweet potato or brown rice?
  • didislim
    Options

Thats so awesome! I am glad to hear. I see that you have lost an impressive amount of weight! Please Can I ask how long did it take to see the weight come off? How did you lose the weight? Did you exercise and calorie count? What kind of workouts did you do? and for how long?
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    After my husband was told by his doctor to get his carbs to 100grams a day, he lost weight. I believe it was 20 pounds over a six month period(give or take). He also exercised, so I am sure that helped.

But, to answer your question, I think you can loose weight without going low carb.
    your husband lost weight because he was eating fewer calories. the carb restriction was a caloric restriction.

After giving your comment so thought and given the fact that I am stubborn, I do not agree with your statement. He didn't reduce his caloric intake. He was eating protein enriched foods which did not equal FEWER calories. He found a good balance between what the dr wanted and not feeling hungry all the time.

that's fine that you disagree with my statement, it doesn't mean you're right. You can't argue against calorie deficit = weight loss. There are a hundred thousand ways to approach that equation. Carb reduction is one of them.

was your husband logging his calories? No? Well, most likely case was that he was eating at a deficit. Problem solved.

Assumptions on here run amok. To answer your question he was logging his calories. Are you saying that foods rich in protein and low in carbs are low in calories as well?
    you can almost hear the point whooshing over your head.

he was at a caloric deficit. He was eating less than his TDEE. That's how he lost the weight.

I heard the whoosh all the way over here. :smokin:

I concede!I know not what I speak of! Sorry that I even said anything about my husband and his loosing weight doing low carb. I should know better!I will not speak on this topic again until I am as well versed and educated as the rest of you.
  • msdeb424
    msdeb424 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I set my macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat as a general goal.

Can you change your macros on mfp so they refect the lower percentage?
  • ebeth_s
    ebeth_s Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was on severely restricted protein intake for more than 10 years due to kidney issues. I lost 30 pounds twice by watching calories. I was eating plenty of carbs, just less of them. Unfortunately, I was given steroids both times I lose, and I gained it back. Now I'm cleared for higher protein, but I'm still higher on carbs. I've lost almost 40 this time.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Don't be afraid to try low calorie - it comes off slower than low carb, but it stays off!

it's irrelevant what you eat as long as you're at a deficit of calories....whether you eat carbs or not shouldn't have any effect on how fast or slow the weight comes off. The less you eat of whatever, the faster it will come off....of course there comes a point where that's unhealthy.
  • paulwilsonthaman
    Options
    Hey, I know how hard it can be to lose weight I struggled for many years trying to lose my fat. The problem is that all the methods out there are really hard to set through. Most of the times I just gave up and felt really guilty afterwards. But I’m glad I eventually found an easy method that really helped me losing weight. And going low carb isn't the only solution. I made pictures from before the program and after and sometimes I can’t even believe my own progress. Now I try to help other people so If you want to see my pictures for motivation or hear about my method I will gladly help you out. Just send me a mail: pauljesswilson@hotmail.com
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Rather than going low carb, I aim to increase my protein. That automatically brings my carbs down a bit, but not low carb. I'm aiming for 45/25/30 (C/P/F). Once I get used to meeting those macros I will try 40/30/30, which seems to be the norm. Right now I am losing 2 lbs per week by meeting my protein goal.
  • BenPVolk
    BenPVolk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to eat primarily carbs in the morning and primarily proteins at night, and that one thing was a game-changer for me.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    <<<supposed to being eating a low carb, low gluten diabetic diet. I haven't and I'm still loosing weight.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight every week ( for the most part ) and I am definitely NOT low carb. I think a lot of diets with names and specific rules are over-rated. I think the only really good diet to follow for health reasons is the DASH diet ( which emphasizes fruits, veggies, lean meats, low sodium and high potassium ) combined with a deficit for weight loss. If interested, look up the DASH diet and you can combine it with a deficit or some other advice from other standpoints.

There is not a certain food group that is worse than the other. All can cause weight gain if consumed in excess. Carbs and protein turn into fat if consumed into excess; not just fat foods. Low carb, high protein, low fat, etc etc... it doesn't matter. You lose weight by consuming less calories than you burn. You can lose weight by eating a slice of cake all day, just as long as you are within a deficit. Now that is not the most nutritious way to lose weight, but you will lose weight if you eat 1200 calories of cake everyday and burn 2000 calories a day.

Eat at a deficit. Obviously the food you eat should be healthy. Most healthy foods are low calorie and often filling, so you won't feel the need to eat more. Emphasize whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean meats, legumes, and low fat dairy.

Moderation is the key. If you want a treat, then have it. It will drive you crazy if you do not.