Gained 5lbs after Running a 5K. What Happened?

Options
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday, I ran a 5k, played volleyball for 1 hour and walked an additional 2 miles. I also monitor what I eat, and only consumer 1,200 calories a day, 120 carbs and 40 grams of fat. Anyway, yesterday was the most active I have been for awhile, so when I stepped on the scale this morning, I was shocked that I had gained 5, YES 5! pounds in one day.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? I am NOT starving myself, before anyone mentions that. I eat when I'm hungry, I'm just not hungry much because when I do eat, I eat the right food that fills me up.

So, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Replies

• djs2303
    djs2303 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Muscle....quite simply you've most likely increased your muscle mass, as muscle is denser then fat
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are retaining water for repair.

Though I would suggest 1200 is too low for that much activity.

eta: you most certainly did not gain 5lbs of muscle in one day. As women, it would be hard for us to gain 5lbs of muscle in 6 months without a serious hypertrophy routine.
  • starrsearching711
    Options
    I know I couldn't have gained 5lbs of muscle, I was just shocked that I gained 5lbs! I stepped on and off several times, and even walked around for a bit before getting on again. And, sure enough, the scale stayed the same. I'm still in shock.

So do you guys think I'm just retaining water? And well, lots of water?
  • djs2303
    djs2303 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sorry ive not read it thoroughly, didn't realise you meant in one day o.O
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Muscle....quite simply you've most likely increased your muscle mass, as muscle is denser then fat

I really, really, really hope my sarcasm detector is broken.

computer-facepalm.gif

It's probably water...
  • RGv2
    Options
    Sorry ive not read it thoroughly, didn't realise you meant in one day o.O

Even if it was 1 year it would be impossible.

OP has an extremely low calorie intake for the activity they are performing, and from how the post reads, is doing zero strength training.

OP, why do you eat so little while being so active, especially at your age?
  • ineedscissor
    ineedscissor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Questions:
    -Did you use the same scale both times?
    -How long between the weighing?
    -Did you poop/eat before or after weighing?

I just ask because I thought that a couple of pound shift from day to day is fairly normal, especially with the pooping and eating that occurs sporadically during the day. And I know that the scale at home is lighter then the scale at work, but heavier then the one at my parents house. If I had to guess, I would say check again in a week, and If the weight is still a concern, then wonder.
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options

You cannot gain muscle doing cardio on a deficit. Physically impossible.

Most likely it's water retention. Your muscles are fatigued and are holding onto as much water as they can to recover.

Give it a couple of days, drink lots of water, eat some protein, you'll be fine.

PS also I just re-read: that much exercise on only 1200??!! Try upping to 1400-1500.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are retaining water for repair.

Though I would suggest 1200 is too low for that much activity.

eta: you most certainly did not gain 5lbs of muscle in one day. As women, it would be hard for us to gain 5lbs of muscle in 6 months without a serious hypertrophy routine.

This.

How much water did you drink on the run? How much did you eat?

Your weight is made up of a lot of things including the things in your stomach and digestive tract.

Don't panic. You're doing all the right things and I expect you'll drop it all again by tomorrow.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Questions:
    -Did you use the same scale both times?
    -How long between the weighing?
    -Did you poop/eat before or after weighing?

I just ask because I thought that a couple of pound shift from day to day is fairly normal, especially with the pooping and eating that occurs sporadically during the day. And I know that the scale at home is lighter then the scale at work, but heavier then the one at my parents house. If I had to guess, I would say check again in a week, and If the weight is still a concern, then wonder.

My weight varies more than 5 lbs during the day. This morning I weighed in at 123.6. Yesterday I was 129.2 mid day. It happens.
  • CheerfulMom4
    CheerfulMom4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates like that too.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    in one day?
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not weighing yourself on consecutive days. Once a week would suffice. Weight can fluctuate greatly from day to day.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Water weight for muscle repair! Relax.. you just ran a 5K!!
  • starrsearching711
    Options
    Although the calorie intake may be low, I feel like I'm always eating. I'm always munching on something, usually freeze dried apple chips or something similar. After my runs, I usually have a caramel rice cake, with lowfat peanut butter and a banana, which fills me up really quickly. And then I have dinner within the hour. I'm most active at night, so during the day when I'm not active, I'm just not hungry. I have a small breakfast and lunch and fruits throughout the day.
  • starrsearching711
    Options
    I probably drink 1.5 gallons of water per day. It varies.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Although the calorie intake may be low, I feel like I'm always eating. I'm always munching on something, usually freeze dried apple chips or something similar. After my runs, I usually have a caramel rice cake, with lowfat peanut butter and a banana, which fills me up really quickly. And then I have dinner within the hour. I'm most active at night, so during the day when I'm not active, I'm just not hungry. I have a small breakfast and lunch and fruits throughout the day.

That still doesn't mean you're properly fueling yourself......

I would say if you run 3-4 times a week your BMR alone is closer to 1600 calories....
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

That still doesn't mean you're properly fueling yourself......

+1
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    No you don't gain muscle in a deficit. It's water
  • starrsearching711
    Options
    I talked about this concern with my PCP, and he said that as long as I don't feel hungry, I shouldn't eat. Thoughts?