Another question for cyclists (from a novice)

Options
My cycling experience is some sporadic spinning classes, and outside rides (spring-autumn) of 6-10mi. I'm a runner and ride my bike to cross train.

I'm looking at an untimed local charity ride (not race) with distance options of 15mi or 5mi. The ride has "race support" which I'm assuming is like the race support I get in foot races (water, Gatorade, etc?). I'm looking at the 15mi for the challenge and experience. (There are also 30mi, and a 60mi distance rides in this event, but those are well beyond me right now.)

What do I need to know to be prepared for the 15mi? What should I expect? I've never done a group ride before, so ALL info/advice would be appreciated!

Oh, if it is important, the ride is in the middle of May. I'm training for a half-marathon at the end of May, so I can fit in training rides or spinning classes 2x/week.

Replies

• IronmanNYC
    IronmanNYC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To be honest, a 15mile ride on 6-10mile training rides doesn't seem like much of a challenge. That probably wouldn't be much longer time-wise than your spinning class. I'd say go for the 30 mile ride. That would equate more like your half-marathon time, so you'd have endurance to do it. Cycling is actually good cross-training for running.

Usually the rides have rest stops, where you actually stop, get off the bike and grab some water, gatorade, and something to eat like Powerbars or who knows...cookies? Usually rest stops are at every 5-10 miles, which makes it easy to just think in terms of getting to the next rest stop.

The good thing about group rides is you tend to find people at your speed so you kinda get motivation from them to keep on going. I'd say just go your normal speed and you'll have some people pass you...you can latch on for a little bit, then let them go. In any case, you'll end up going faster than if you're just out there alone.

Good luck in both the ride and the HM.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above - if you regularly ride 10 miles, 30 should not be a problem.

Time in the saddle may be the only area you suffer so get some padded shorts and you'll be fine. Take some water and a protein flapjack, although chances are you won't need them until the end.

Enjoy your ride!
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Good advice already here. 15 miles is pretty easy unless it's incredibly hilly.

Race support is much like you expect, though the ride will probably have a SAG wagon to help with serious mechanicals or medical emergencies. You should be able to change a flat tire without having to rely on the SAG though.

I second the notion of getting time in the saddle and a pair of bike shorts. Makes a huge difference.

While I would also encourage you to consider a longer ride, it sounds like there's only a couple of weeks between the ride and your half, so I think you might be best to stick with 15 this time and maybe consider a longer ride in the future. :)
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Your comments are so helpful! I am sticking with the 15mi, simply because this is my very first group ride experience. If all goes well, and I enjoy it as much as I think I will, I will definitely be up for the 30mi in the future! I believe it is an annual charity event, but this is the first I've learned of it. I am well acquainted with the foot race events & running clubs in my area...but cycling is a new arena for me. I have lots to learn!

Oh, and I haven't done the spinning class or outdoor rides since last autumn. I'm going to start including spinning in my training each week, I just need to choose the class that fits my schedule.

So, where do I find the padded bike shorts (should I be looking for something specific in design?), and I know I need a new bike helmet. Suggestions?

I guess I need to learn to change a flat then too!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Might want to check out the Bike Shops in your area. A lot of them may have free group rides, so you can get used to riding distances and also riding in a group.
    So, where do I find the padded bike shorts (should I be looking for something specific in design?), and I know I need a new bike helmet. Suggestions?

Biking shorts w/Chamois is the type of shorts you want. They come in a variety of styles - some look just like regular shorts while others are more the "cycling" spandex type/look. Check out Performance Bicycle online. They usually have some pretty sweet deals going on.
  • jjking54
    Options
    Might want to check out the Bike Shops in your area. A lot of them may have free group rides, so you can get used to riding distances and also riding in a group.

Biking shorts w/Chamois is the type of shorts you want. They come in a variety of styles - some look just like regular shorts while others are more the "cycling" spandex type/look. Check out Performance Bicycle online. They usually have some pretty sweet deals going on.

They're mostly "chamois" these days, as in chamois in name only, but that's ok. The new pads are an advancement (some disagree) over the old chamois.

Performance is a good suggestion, as is a local bike shop if you have one. A local bike shop is so much more than just a place to buy bikes and stuff. Like Leadfoot says, lots of them have group rides (some even have teams) and they often provide excellent support and service after your purchase. If you have the opportunity, and your LBS is a good one, definitely support it :)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    You are only doing the 15 mile ride and during your cross training months you do between 6-10. I am assuming you are doing that WITHOUT padded shorts. There is absolutely no reason to go out and buy the padded shorts just yet. They can get expensive and if you really like the group ride feel you are going to want to invest in a good pair or 2 or 3. My vote is wait until you do the ride, see how you like it and if you decide to go for longer distances the go for the shorts and a whole laundry list of other things you are going to want.

You should familiarize yourself with basic maintenance before you head out. SAG is there to help but depending on the number of riders involved the wait can be pretty long.
  • girlschmoopie
    Options
    Again, very helpful, all of you! Thank you!

So, I do have a local bike shop, I have to make a plan to get over there. It is actually where I got my bike, and it totally forgot about them <blushingwithembarrassment!> I don't remember if they have much in the way of clothes, but I think I will browse around and see what kinds of prices are so I know for future reference. If they are reasonably priced, I'm open to the investment, I know I will use them, even if just for riding singly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Really think you will be disappointed if you only do a 15 miler - if you are training for a half marathon then 30 is well in your capabilities. I did a few 60 mile charity rides on my old steel frame mountain bike when I was starting out but wouldn't recommend that unless you have a screw loose.....

This time of year can be a good time to shop online for bike gear as they are clearing old stock ready for the new season.

Youtube is your friend if you don't have someone to teach you how to change a flat.

Try and travel light on the event.
    Mapping on your phone is handy if you get lost!
    You won't need any special nutrition for 15 miles, just stay hydrated.
    Only stop when you really need to unless you are doing it just as a relaxed social ride - stops kill your average speed.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    15 miles? That's a nice warmup spin. ;)

I'd say you'll want some decent shorts, the RBX from specialized are well padded and low cost.

You'll want about 26 ounces of water, and personally I'd throw two scoops of cytomax in it, then go out there and get it done.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So as Si says, make sure you can change a puncture. Your local bike shop will show you how. Also carry a small pump and a spare inner tube (rather than a puncture repair kit).

But honestly, you'll knock out 15 miles hardly breaking a sweat.

Some tips for group riding are here: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/sportives/article/sp20120110-cyclo-sportive-Guide-to-riding-in-a-group-0
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Read on group riding etiquette. This will probably be the best thing you can do for yourself.
  • girlschmoopie
    Options
    Thanks everyone, especially for the tip to look up group ride etiquette & info. I had NO idea! Oh my, I would've probably caused more than one crash if I hadn't looked into it. I feel a tiny bit more "in-the-know" now.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, especially for the tip to look up group ride etiquette & info. I had NO idea! Oh my, I would've probably caused more than one crash if I hadn't looked into it. I feel a tiny bit more "in-the-know" now.

I would echo the protect your front wheel, do not let someone cut across your front wheel or you are going to crash.

These events attract the full spectrum of riding abilities, from experienced racers to weekend warriors. They can have anywhere from a couple of hundred participants to several thousand participants. Big groups take a while to sort out based on the fitness / experience levels. Good thing is that at 15 miles you will be done quickly.

Watch everyone around you. Learn to get your water bottle without looking at it and place it back, again, without looking at it. If you look away from those around you can find yourself in trouble quickly. That bit about not freaking out when you get bumped is important. Relax, enjoy, stay aware and finish upright.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Definitely invest in a good pair of bike shorts and know that generally you're not wearing anything under them.

Also generally agree that a 15 mile ride is a breeze for you. With several months to train I'd say 30 is well within reach

What kind of bike are you riding? 30 miles on an old mt bike is doable but more work than 30 miles on a carbon fiber road bike.
  • girlschmoopie
    Options
    Great tips mat & Jim, thanks!

To answer your question, My bike is a hybrid. This is what I have (brand new last summer & have loved all the miles I put on it until the weather got bad): http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_3_fx_wsd/#/us/en/model/features?url=us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_3_fx_wsd.

I found a local bicycle club that is welcoming to newbies like me. Their website is amazing and they do daily rides from April-end of October! I emailed for more info, and heard back that I can come try a group ride before joining. The contact person told me which rides/routes would be best for me to try for a first group ride. So I'm looking into that. It was very encouraging! Based on how that first ride goes (15 & 30 mile routes) I just might be convinced to register for the 30mi charity ride. The registration ends at the end of March, so I have time to make sure I'm making the right decision on distance.

I'm looking forward to adding something new to my exercise options!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent bike and should provide years of comfortable cycling. It's also a nice choice for longer leisure rides.

It's up to you whether you want to pursue 30 miles but I would say its a pretty doable goal for you if that's what you decide. I also think It will dramatically improve your running fitness to and cycling is a great way to actively recover the day after some of your training runs.

After that you can take up swimming which is great core exercise and cardio and will also improve your running and will get you ready to start triathlon. :-D
  • girlschmoopie
    Options
    *~~~~*~~~UPDATE~~~*~~~~*

I have officially registered for the charity ride, and I signed up for the 30mi ride (eeeek!). I learned that since it is not a timed event, on the day of the ride, I can choose to do whatever distance I want. So I'm aiming for the 30, but will not be disappointed in myself if I switch to the 15 at the last minute, because I will be running my half-marathon the next weekend... I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that race.

Also, I joined the local bicycle club and have gone on two group rides! One was 16.5mi, and the other was 15mi (on consecutive weekends). They were challenging, the second one especially because it had more inclines. I had to really work to try and keep up, but was able to do the distance without any real problem (I just had wobbly, tired legs at the end!). Everyone was very helpful and encouraging, I'm glad I was able to make this connection, which I wouldn't have if it wasn't for you all here encouraging me to learn about group riding!

I got a new properly fitted helmet, a spare tube and the tool for changing the flat in a new little bag under the saddle, and a hand pump. I don't know how to change the flat yet, but was assured that on the group rides, as long as I had the necessary items someone would help if I had trouble. I signed up for a free bicycle clinic at a local cycling store, and they will teach me to fix a flat on my bike and some other stuff I'm not sure what...I only cared that they were going to cover the subject of a flat, and if I have my bike, I will get the hands on experience. The clinic isn't until after the charity ride, but there is supposed to be assistance there too.
  • jjking54
    Options
    That's awesome! Welcome to the madness :)
  • girlschmoopie
    Options
    Thanks jj!

It just may be madness, as I thought maybe next year I'll be all for the 62mi! lol!