Arch Pain

Options
Its been an issue for some time and I've tried literally every shoe insert out there. Tomorrow I'm going to a running shoe store and meeting with a pedorthists and going to put my foot on one of those machines that reads your foot type.

I'm sure the main issue has been that I've been wearing cheap BOGO shoes, they are super comfortable but I need to put money into a good pair of shoes since I'm walking about 100 miles per month now on the treadmill.

Any foot exercises that I can be doing or any input for others who have been dealing with arch pain?

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Do the stretches outlined on this sheet:
    https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/ortho/foot-ankle/_documents/plantarfasciitisteachingsheet.pdf
    They really work.
    Best insoles for running shoes are Superfeet. Don't trust any others. And don't bother with super expensive orthotics. They are not any better.
    Also stretch your feet every morning before you get up out of bed and stand on them. That pain that you get every morning with those first few steps? That is you undoing all the healing that had been taking place overnight.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Do the stretches outlined on this sheet:
    https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/ortho/foot-ankle/_documents/plantarfasciitisteachingsheet.pdf
    They really work.
    Best insoles for running shoes are Superfeet. Don't trust any others. And don't bother with super expensive orthotics. They are not any better.
    Also stretch your feet every morning before you get up out of bed and stand on them. That pain that you get every morning with those first few steps? That is you undoing all the healing that had been taking place overnight.

this x 1000. You may be dealing with plantar fasciitis.

I'm currently dealing with nasty arch pain. I saw a sports medicine MD who dx'ed plantar fasciitis in both feet, as well as flat feet. I'm in Superfeet insoles, even in my slippers, and seeing a physical therapist. (side note: I almost never have the telltale heel pain, even first thing in the am, but it's still PF). Superfeet are WONDERFUL. I avoid barefoot as much as possible now.

Right now I'm doing the stretches linked above, as well as several strength building and stretching exercises for glutes, hamstrings, and calves bc my PT thinks strength imbalance may be playing a role in the plantar fasciitis and other issues that crop up in my back.

I'm also rolling gently with a tennis ball (not too deep so as not to inflame it) and ice using a frozen water bottle daily.

Good luck!
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm headed to Schulers tomorrow and will keep my eye out for Superfeet
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Surprised no one else said it - wear a Strassburg Sock.

Insoles weaken the arch, so only wear them for activities that cause pain.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    They weaken the arch?
    Sometimes you have to get over the pain and let the healing occur first. Then you can worry about strengthening your feet.
    I got no problem with the sock. But, at this point, you have to worry about healing, and that requires some kind of support so that re-injury does not keep occurring.
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store to get recommendations for a shoe because I had such a bad case of PF. I was miserable. The person recommended the shoes below. I paid $144 for them at the time and they were worth every cent. The relief was unbelievable. I recently saw them for 34.99 at the website below. Incredible bargain. I ordered another pair this week. The quality is fantastic. Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon.

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=W1260LS2&size=&width=&category=all&selection=wshoes&sort=POP&shoeLast=&price=