I look pregnant

anikab
anikab Posts: 150 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been on MFP for a few months and I've been losing, just not in the area I want....my stupid mom belly. I had my baby in Feb and I still get at least 2 ppl per week that ask me when I'm due. it's really discouraging and I want to die every time I'm asked. Nothing hides it. I wear bigger shirts and I look pregnant, I wear something semi tight, I look pregnant...I don't know what to do anymore!!! I wear shirts with the umpire waist, those def dont work, I wear baggy shirts in general, those don't work. I just don't know what to do about not looking pregnant. please help.

Replies

• rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    To get rid of that, you have to do cardio and abs/strength. You have to work your whole body! I used to look SUPER pregnant...it was gross. I've been on here for just over a month, and I look much less pregnant.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    it could be due to changes in your posture since having your baby. our joints are looser during pregnancy (and breastfeeding too) and can reset themselves out of alignment. an osteopath will likely be able to help. here are some things to look for and correct on your own.
    1 do you lock your knees when you stand? this can add to the curve in your lower back and make your stomach stick out more. keep your knees soft, this may feel slightly bent while you get used to it.
    2 tuck your tailbone down slightly, this contract your lower abs which have been severely stretched during pregnancy, this will help to stregthen them and reset your alignment, other core exercises are really helpfull too, like plank and leg raises but regular crunches mostly work the upper abs which aren't usually an issue.
    3 stretch your chest - holding a baby and many everyday activities cause our shoulders to be pulled forward, this causes the ribs to push into the abdomen which makes the stomach look bigger too. try laying on the floor with a pillow under your upper back arms up in a V shape with the back of the hands on the floor. hold for about 5 minutes per day ((longer if you can/need to)
    4 strengthen your back - this works with #3 because it helps to pull your shoulder back and keep the ribs upright too. lay on the floor on your stomach and stretch one leg and the opposite arm off the floor, hold for 10 seconds and repeat on the other sides, do as many reps as you can.

hope this helps!
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    I used to look pregnant too, yet never have been, which is even more depressing. I have now lost 10 lbs and look a lot less pregnant. I hold most of my weight on my middle.

I had an old guy on the train offer me his seat a few months back as he thought i was pregnant. That was my point of no return. My heart goes out to you because i too tried every item of clothing to cover it up but nothing really worked. In the end i used to carry a big handbag in front of me covering my stomach (which really didnt look that pregnant) either that or i would carry a coat or cardigan over my arms to cover my front. I know its awful but it does get better. Keep up with the cardio and crunches. :)
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Thanks ladies. I guess my biggest fear is it'll never go away and I'll be stuck with it forever. I gained a lot of weight (50+lbs) with both pregnancies so I know that's where it's from but the rest of me is fairly skinny and then I have this nasty gut sticking out it's so annoying. I do do a lot of cardio. and I mean a LOT. just haven't been able to do as much lately with school, work and the kids. but I try to get in as much as possible. I'll be doing a bit today though :)
This discussion has been closed.