Fruits & Veggies: Are they free calories?

Options
Sometimes during the day I feel hungry still, and thought I read somewhere that you can eat all the fresh fruit, and veggies (raw) that you wanted because they are just so healthy - BUT they have calories, so are they really free or will you gain weight if you eat too many?

Also what veggies, and fruits does everyone like to munch on?

Replies

• gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    On here they count as calories but veggies are basically free. Celery has sodium and tomatoes and carrots I believe have more sugar so it depends on how much of what you munch on really. Fruit has a lot of natural sugar so even though its good for you to much can be a lot of sugar, Just use good judgment. To much of anything can add up even in fruits and veggies.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    No calories are free. You can get fat just eating fruits and veggies; it would be very hard, but it can be done. All calories count and count all calories.
  • absie107
    Options
    veggies? yeah basically they're good to go. not starches, but the green stuff. like... eat 3 whole cucumbers and i assure you you'll feel a bit full. fruits? ehh, not so much. they're delicious and good for you, but they still have nutritional/caloric value. you gain weight if you eat too much food, period. eat when you're hungry, but really listen to your body - you might just be thirsty or bored or something. also be sure you're eating enough in the first place.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    There is always celery. It is actually negitive calories. What I mean by that is, your body burns more calories than the food provides to digest it.
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know some people who do weight watchers have 0 points or "free" foods, but that's a different system. On here, you're calorie counting. So you can have all the air and water you want for "free" but everything else counts and can add up if you eat enough of it :)
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    try the cabbage soup from the cabbage soup diet...i dont recommend the diet because A) its not healthy to do this to your body B) you will stink and no one will wanna come near you

This soup is great though in moderation...its negative calories because it uses more cals to chew it than it has.

try looking it up online, im sure you will find the recipe no problem :)
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you must eat a lot of fruit and veggies which everything no matter how good for you should be done in moderation..
    Celery is the only free one, you burn burn to eat and digest. Raw broccoli & baby carrots are great for snacking, they have calories but not so much as to throw you off for the day - add them to green salads with mushrooms.

Here are food that you will be the best bang for your calories following Michi's Ladder. Not free but best choices when eating raw, steamed, boiled, baked.. Never fried.

Carb: C | Fat: F | Protein: P

Tier One foods.
    Apples, with skin C
    Artichokes (no sauce) PC
    Asparagus C
    Beans PCF
    Beets C
    Blueberries C
    Boysenberries C
    Broccoli PC
    Broccoli sprouts PC
    Brussels sprouts PC
    Cabbage C
    Carrots C
    Cauliflower C
    Celery C
    Chickpeas PC
    Cherries C
    Citrus fruits C
    Collard greens PC
    Cucumbers C
    Endive C
    Garlic (fresh) C
    Grapefruit C
    Grapes C
    Hempseed F
    Herbs
    Kale PFC
    Kiwifruit C
    Lentils PFC
    Lettuce (romaine, green or red leaf) C
    Melon honeydew C
    Mushrooms C
    Nectarines C
    Onions C
    Papayas C
    Peaches C
    Pears C
    Peas PC
    Peppers C
    Pineapple C
    Plums C
    Prunes C
    Radishes C
    Raspberries C
    Spinach PC
    Squash C
    Strawberries C
    String beans PC
    Sweet potatoes C
    Tomatoes C
    Yams C
    Zucchini C

Try sticking to these fruits and veggies for better success with weight loss.
  • ivleafklover
    ivleafklover Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I feel better now, was just overwhelmed for a second.

See common sense was telling me that you couldn't eat all you wanted,
    but sometimes you read something some where and it makes you second guess.