Drinking and fitness

Options

Replies

• Teamdhb120
    Teamdhb120 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had to cut my drinking way back. I would drink white wine almost daily. I've only had a few drinks this month and will just drink wine occasionally from now on. I have no plans to stop completely. I love wine and will find a way to include it in my calorie allowance. I'm also increasing my exercise to five days a week.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's not just the alcohol calories that are the problem. As alcohol lowers your inhibitions, you also eat more as you drink, and tend to make poorer food choices. The less you drink and less often you drink, the more efficient your weight loss will be.

Not everyone eats more or makes poorer food choices when they drink.
  • jnb143
    jnb143 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds this past month. The main thing I did was to stop drinking during the week and limit myself to weekends. Occasionally, I will have a beer if I go somewhere with a friend, but even on the weekends, I tend to only drink one day during the weekend, if I'm out. I also try not to drink a 12 pack of beer in a few hours, which it's sad to say, I have been guilty of doing so. You can still lose weight while being a social drinker. Just do it in moderation!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    When I first started tracking on MFP, I was just trying to see where I was with eating. To my surprise, my food calories (and this was normal eating) never passed what maintenance would be for my ideal weight. But my booze calories consistently put me way over. I got chubby from alcohol! This infuriated me.

I've cut back a LOT, but not cut it out. I feel it's cruel to expect a girl to have dinner without wine :)
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    When I first started tracking on MFP, I was just trying to see where I was with eating. To my surprise, my food calories (and this was normal eating) never passed what maintenance would be for my ideal weight. But my booze calories consistently put me way over. I got chubby from alcohol! This infuriated me.

I've cut back a LOT, but not cut it out. I feel it's cruel to expect a girl to have dinner without wine :)

um no - you got chubby from taking in more calories than your body used. Whether it was solid food or liquid food is irrelevant.........
  • rockmama72
    Options

um no - you got chubby from taking in more calories than your body used. Whether it was solid food or liquid food is irrelevant.........

Wow, what a dumb thing to argue about. (As if I haven't been around long enough to know that excess calories cause weight gain.) As I said, my booze calories put me over all the time, and the point I was making was that if I hadn't been drinking so much, I would not have put on weight because my food intake is good. Meaning I don't overeat, I overdrink. And yes, it was way too much, which is why I have cut back.

Would it make you feel better if I change that one sentence? How about this: "I drank so much that it put me over on calories every day and I gained weight." Does this help, dear?
  • luciana131
    Options
    i love wine.
    like seriously. love. wine.
    i work out so that i can have wine.

i have also contemplated quitting drinking so that i can reach my goal weight, because as rockmama72 mentioned, my eating habits are pretty darn healthy. my drinking habits on the other hand... not so much. but it the end, i love wine. there are few things i enjoy more than having a glass while i make dinner or as i read after the kids have gone to bed. i also wish that i could say that i completely budgeted for those calories all the time, but i don't always. i am trying though.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Wow, what a dumb thing to argue about. (As if I haven't been around long enough to know that excess calories cause weight gain.) As I said, my booze calories put me over all the time, and the point I was making was that if I hadn't been drinking so much, I would not have put on weight because my food intake is good. Meaning I don't overeat, I overdrink. And yes, it was way too much, which is why I have cut back.

Would it make you feel better if I change that one sentence? How about this: "I drank so much that it put me over on calories every day and I gained weight." Does this help, dear?

ooooh aren't we touchy. Perhaps a drink to calm? Q.t.i.p.
  • rockmama72
    Options
    LOL! ^^^

Says the dude who quoted me with an obnoxious, "Um, no."
  • Beet_Girl
    Options
    My tip: give up alcohol for a while so your tolerance goes down. Then drink on an empty stomach. Pretty easy to get wasted on not too many calories that way.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I dink some bourbon neat every now and then. Only costs 104 calories.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Like most of my French and Italian friends, I have a glass of wine with dinner fairly regularly, sometimes two, and often a cocktail after work. I did that when slowly gaining weight, and I've done that while losing weight over the last 14 months. I figure the calories into my daily meal plan.

If you want to keep drinking in moderation (more or less), check out the Hash House Harriers, sometimes described as "a drinking club with a running problem": http://gthhh.com/
  • linzkane
    Options
    Im def there with you :) its so hard to go somewhere and be surrounded by deer and not have one, I personally give in everytime!!
    I think its something we would have to do gradually but I don't think I can completely cut it out just cut down(which I have) instead of drinking 3 times a wk I drink once a month this way I still have a drink but not as many as I use to.

Best of luck and keep at it!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I typically only drink weekends and it has not affected my fitness level or goals….

ETA - when I do drink I try to log all my drinks….
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Additionally, your body turns that liquid sugar into fat immediately.
    This ^^ is utter nonsense.
    It's also expensive! Finally, I would rather save my calories for cheese burgers than beer. I don't know why people prefer boozes over yummy food.
    It can be expensive, and while I find it odd that some people would rather have ice cream than wine, I certainly know why. Personal preference.

Exactly! Lmao

I find it odd someone wants a cheeseburger over a shot or a drink. Different strokes for different folks.
  • ipoundstoloose
    Options
    Yes l do also have that problem only mine is home made wine. To night is my first night but l drank a lot of tea.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    alcohol also deteriorates your lean muscle mass.

ehh, I do not think that is accurate….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Additionally, your body turns that liquid sugar into fat immediately.
    This ^^ is utter nonsense.
    It's also expensive! Finally, I would rather save my calories for cheese burgers than beer. I don't know why people prefer boozes over yummy food.
    It can be expensive, and while I find it odd that some people would rather have ice cream than wine, I certainly know why. Personal preference.

Exactly! Lmao

I find it odd someone wants a cheeseburger over a shot or a drink. Different strokes for different folks.

I will take the beer and the cheeseburger….
  • Brina4777
    Brina4777 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You are not alone and I'm glad to see that I'm not alone either! I love beer! It is my biggest weakness and it sabotages me all the time! I try to keep myself busy and drink water instead. I also try not to keep any beer at home so it's not so accessible. I do have days though that I cave in and then feel guilty about it the next day. It's an ongoing battle.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My tip: give up alcohol for a while so your tolerance goes down. Then drink on an empty stomach. Pretty easy to get wasted on not too many calories that way.

That's actually quite true. Once I got down to 110 pounds I can drink much less, for example I can drink 3 vodka sodas and that is plenty! I also make better drink choices than I used to (and I have learned how to make skinny margaritas and piña coladas too).