Butt and thigh workout easy on the knees?

Hi!

Does anyone have suggestions for a workout I can do for my butt and upper thighs? I'm a pear shape and I feel like the lower half of my body isn't being worked hard enough. I'm finishing up Level 1 of the 30 Day Shred, but Jillian focuses more on abs, back, and arms. And I tried doing squats and lunges, but sometimes my knees start hurting and then I'm out for days :( I take good form very seriously, so I don't think that's the problem.

Are there any exercises lying down that I can do? Or just something a little more gentle on the knees?

Thanks!

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    And I tried doing squats and lunges, but sometimes my knees start hurting and then I'm out for days

They have no-squat ones too :D

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/No-Squat-Leg-Workout-Squat-Free-Butt-Thigh-Workout/c0/
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    One of the things I've read about knees and squats (from Strong Curves and Strong Lifts), is one of the reasons we tend to have knee issues durings squats and lunges is because we're so quad dominant. Strengthening the posterior chain (butt, hamstrings, etc), will help even out these knee problems. This means going deep enough with squats, and can include other exercises to help build the posterior chain.

I have knee issues that have been greatly improved with lower-body weight lifting (my butt looks better too). One thing I had to modify was my toe position in squats. I have to be toe-out with my feet fairly wide or my knees (and hips) start to ache. I have to make sure the knees don't buckle in too. In squats I go just below parallel.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Look up other exercises for posterior chain that don't include hip flexion. I pulled a hip flexor and had to pass on the squats/lunges for a while. Good mornings, stiff legged deadlifts... Many more I'm sure, but those are the two I put in my routine.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    One of the things I've read about knees and squats (from Strong Curves and Strong Lifts), is one of the reasons we tend to have knee issues durings squats and lunges is because we're so quad dominant. Strengthening the posterior chain (butt, hamstrings, etc), will help even out these knee problems. This means going deep enough with squats, and can include other exercises to help build the posterior chain.

I have knee issues that have been greatly improved with lower-body weight lifting (my butt looks better too). One thing I had to modify was my toe position in squats. I have to be toe-out with my feet fairly wide or my knees (and hips) start to ache. I have to make sure the knees don't buckle in too. In squats I go just below parallel.

^^This. Use proper form. Lift what's heavy for you. If it's just bodysquats, make sure you don't allow your knees to carry the load. Squats are a sitting motion that should be felt in your hamstrings, butt, and core. If you're knees are twisting or caving in, and you can't correct it, you're applying too much weight to your exercise. In this case, I would Google modified bodysquat exercises to build up your strength so you can do regular bodysquats.
  • Ramen237
    Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
    Thanks! These are all wonderful suggestions!
  • One of the things I've read about knees and squats (from Strong Curves and Strong Lifts), is one of the reasons we tend to have knee issues durings squats and lunges is because we're so quad dominant. Strengthening the posterior chain (butt, hamstrings, etc), will help even out these knee problems. This means going deep enough with squats, and can include other exercises to help build the posterior chain.

^^This. Use proper form. Lift what's heavy for you. If it's just bodysquats, make sure you don't allow your knees to carry the load. Squats are a sitting motion that should be felt in your hamstrings, butt, and core. If you're knees are twisting or caving in, and you can't correct it, you're applying too much weight to your exercise. In this case, I would Google modified bodysquat exercises to build up your strength so you can do regular bodysquats.

Yes!^^ Do squats all the way down. Toe-out with wide stance is good. Keep that up and you will get the best results in the least time on your legs and thighs compared to anything else IMHO.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Glute bridges are great. You can make them harder by adding weight or by doing them one legged.