Thoughts on fiber?

Options
I looked at my fiber intake a couple of weeks ago and found I was no where near the MFP "goal". So I started putting a fiber supplement in my water. It's easy enough and I think I do notice a difference in the efficiency of my bodily functioning. But I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on how important it is. I have read that it helps you feel less hungry. I've also read it helps calories pass through your system, so you absorb fewer. Any truth to either of those?

Thanks

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Fiber adds bulk to your diet and can effectively increase satiety. I would generally suggest paying attention to fiber intake. I'm on the high end, generally getting 40+g during dieting phases, largely because there are certain high fiber foods that I prefer because I enjoy them AND for hunger blunting.

IIRC--certain insoluble fibers generate short chain fatty acids in the intestine and these do effectively add something like 2cals/g, so there is some calorie factor with fiber. I'd have to revisit the specifics on that though to make sure I'm not talking from my *kitten*.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It lessens your chances of developing certain cancers, so it is quite important. The MFP goal is WAY low.

Berries are one of the best sources of finber (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries).
  • Fiber adds bulk to your diet and can effectively increase satiety. I would generally suggest paying attention to fiber intake. I'm on the high end, generally getting 40+g during dieting phases, largely because there are certain high fiber foods that I prefer because I enjoy them AND for hunger blunting.

IIRC--certain insoluble fibers generate short chain fatty acids in the intestine and these do effectively add something like 2cals/g, so there is some calorie factor with fiber. I'd have to revisit the specifics on that though to make sure I'm not talking from my *kitten*.

no no no...that's ok...it's fibre...

please continue talking from your *kitten*.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Fiber adds bulk to your diet and can effectively increase satiety. I would generally suggest paying attention to fiber intake. I'm on the high end, generally getting 40+g during dieting phases, largely because there are certain high fiber foods that I prefer because I enjoy them AND for hunger blunting.

Awesome, thank you. I have a feeling I'd do better to get fiber from food, but I'm not sure about that. Do you have any thoughts specifically on using supplements to get there?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Awesome, thank you. I have a feeling I'd do better to get fiber from food, but I'm not sure about that. Do you have any thoughts specifically on using supplements to get there?

I would think you would get more satiety benefits getting your fiber from food than adding it to beverages and otherwise supplementing...that said, I've never supplemented so I can't be 100% sure about that. I generally get around 40 grams per day, all from food, which helps keep me full. I eat a lot of beans, lentils, etc as well as quite a bit of veg. I eat oats about 3x weekly as well as other whole grains, brown rice, quinoa, avocados, etc. Basically a lot of whole foods.

Fiber is also important if you have cholesterol issues...fiber helps block the absorption of numerous nutrients, including cholesterol. Soluble fiber is particularly good for cholesterol issues which is why I eat my oats and have pretty much an apple a day...both good sources of soluble fiber. Beans (legumes and lentils in general) are an excellent source of phytosterols which also help block absorption of cholesterol...another reason they are a mainstay in my diet.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I tried the fiber supplement thing for a while. It did nothing for my digestive system and was a pain in the butt to remember all the time. Instead I've tried to incorporate more high-fiber foods such as beans, veggies, and certain fruits (like avocado) into my diet.

I think fiber intake is more a sign of a healthy diet versus a number to aspire to.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I tried the fiber supplement thing for a while. It did nothing for my digestive system and was a pain in the butt to remember all the time. Instead I've tried to incorporate more high-fiber foods such as beans, veggies, and certain fruits (like avocado) into my diet.

I think fiber intake is more a sign of a healthy diet versus a number to aspire to.

agreed
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    Thanks guys. That's kind of what I instinctively thought. Appreciate the input.
  • mominstands
    mominstands Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking my fiber the last week and trying to incorporate more of it into my diet. I just read the Full Plate Diet and I'm trying to power up the dishes I already eat. Mostly by adding beans and veggies and fruits to dishes. Not a big change to make.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

agreed

agreed as well. I'd say at least 20g of fiber from fruits and vegetables in particular.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

agreed

agreed as well. I'd say at least 20g of fiber from fruits and vegetables in particular.

Ah, that brings up a good point. MFP has my "goal" at 38. I'm not sure what that's based on. Maybe that's unnecessarily high?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

agreed

Ah, that brings up a good point. MFP has my "goal" at 38. I'm not sure what that's based on. Maybe that's unnecessarily high?

That's pretty high. You should be looking at 14-15 per 1000 calories.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    38 is higher than DV, but it's a fine #.

20g/day from fruits and veggies is more of an internal "strive to" goal than a hard goal for me. It's easy to meet when berries are in season and cheap..:)

It's also a near assurity of eating a good amount of micronutrients if you get close to that daily.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, broccoli, asparagus and spinach have quite a lot of fibre. I regularly make myself a breakfast smoothie including the above and some blueberries.
    Stef.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I tried the fiber supplement thing for a while. It did nothing for my digestive system and was a pain in the butt to remember...
    translation_i_see_what_you_did_there-321463.jpg
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Helps ya poop.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take a supplement for it. I don't think it fills those satiety roles as well. However, I am a big fan of the (no sugar added) Carnation instant breakfasts, which have protein and fiber in them to help keep you full, so I guess the supplement isn't much of a stretch.

I would just up your fruits and veggies. If you're not coming close to your minimum fiber requirements then you probably need more fruits and veggies.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I find it to be good for fullness and satisfaction of the meal. Also, good for digestion, colon, etc.

You should get at least 1.2g fiber / 100calorie, so work out if your fiber goal is in line with your calorie goal.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My goal is 25 right now. Sometimes I eat over, sometimes I eat under. But it usually is pretty close to point on weekly basis.

I eat a good amount of fruits and veggies and I dont think I would get to my goal without a fiber bar or protein bar.

Take it a step at a time. But you will poop a lot more :)
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

Take it a step at a time. But you will poop a lot more :)

I'm going to look at some diet changes. I think I got obsessed with the protein thing and just neglected some other things. Berries and grapes and such are awesome snacks I used to eat a lot more of, and it's not like you take much of a calorie hit with them. But the supplement is working well on that last point. I'm taking it again today, but once I get to the store tonight I'll see how I do with some more fruit.