Right time to workout??

Options
Is there any specific time of the day when which is the best time to workout??
Is it bad to sometimes workout at 2 in the night minutes before you go to bed...??

What time you usually do your workouts and also How many times a day?? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• HugeBum
    HugeBum Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I workout after I finish uni, usually about 3pm. I like it as I've had enough food throughout the day to give me energy but it's all had time to settle so I don't feel overly full
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I think the "best" time is whatever time in the day you'll do it regularly enough to get the benefits. For me that time is in the evening during week days and afternoons on the weekends. I only workout once a day for 40-60 minutes. I have worked out about an hour before sleep. I slept fine. I don't know how it works for others.
  • Gdmerrit1
    Options
    Morning is optimum, but if you do at night, make it a few hours before you go to bed.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    When it fits with your schedule and you actually go do it. I work out in the mornings some days, and in the afternoon other days. I'm a morning person and prefer early workouts to get me ready for the day. I get to the gym at 5am. But, my boyfriend sleeps in, works late, and so dinner is late. I end up with more down time after work, and I'm STARVING. So, I switched most of my workouts to the afternoon (right after work) because it can give me something to do to not think about food. And if I step foot in my house after work, I will not make it to the gym. The call of the couch is just too great.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    The best time to workout is two-fold

1) Whatever time you can get a decent workout in that works with your schedule
    2) Whatever time of day you feel your body is best suited to respond to the rigors of a good workout
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, the ideal is in the morning and then in the evening, hours before bed because of the hormones it can elevate and lower.

That said, I work out before bed because it's the only time I can do - after we get home and the kiddo is in bed. I frequently work through lunch and eat at my desk and the mornings are a no-go for us because of when we have to get up and get out the door. I figure it's better to work out than not and those are my options.

Now having said that, I do find that I am a bit hyped up after a workout and it can take me longer to fall asleep than it did when I was not working out.

Find your balance. If you are thinking of skipping a day because it's late - that's silly. If you have multiple available times, then consider earlier in the day.
  • DGK24
    DGK24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do 6:30 in the morning. It has been great for me and has allowed me to really stick with my program and be consistent. Another positive aspect is that I am much more aware of my eating habits and don't want to go off track since I already started my day off well. Once in awhile I will work out with my cousin on the weekends in the evening/8pm. Each time I find that I have too much energy when I am done and have a hard time going to bed.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    The best time to do it is the time that you are doing it. The important thing is to do it.
  • jnb143
    jnb143 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    530 am for me
  • losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think the "best" time is whatever time in the day you'll do it regularly enough to get the benefits. For me that time is in the evening during week days and afternoons on the weekends. I only workout once a day for 40-60 minutes. I have worked out about an hour before sleep. I slept fine. I don't know how it works for others.

This is pretty much exactly the same for me.

I only get the chance to work out when I get home from work - so that's been pretty late these days. Kind of helps me sleep, but I have to deal with the nausea from having just eaten dinner for a little while during the cardio, but it's tolerable and helps me digest.
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Somedays i miss my workout for some reason and at night I feel so guilty..then late night at around 2 am i Wonder should i just do it now... its pretty confusing if working out at that time will benifit you or harm your body.... :indifferent:
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you are working out ... it doesnt matter the time. It matters that you are doing it.

Sure people say working out in the morning helps get your metabolism going, but not everyone has the life that allows that.

I work out 3 days a week at 5am and 3 days a week between 6-8pm. I work a 9 to 5 job, and have a kid. So whenever I have the best energy to go.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

QFT!

I workout shortly before bed. I put in 100% effort, bust my @$$, and barely have enough energy to get home, shower, and get under the covers. I sleep wonderfully on workout nights! Then again, when I was in my 20s, working out late would keep me up until 2am. Come to think of it, I watched an awful lot of late-night Star Trek during the summer of '04... To each their own! Best wishes on your workouts!