I always go over my sugar

Options
Soooo... I am on day 50 of sticking with a 1500-1700 calorie a day diet. I weigh my food, track everything I put in my mouth to the best of my ability and eat fruits and veggies.

My one get me going... is 6 Tablespoons of caramel machiatto creamer in the morning. It's delicious, I love it, and I can have it within my calorie goals.

Is this sabbatoging all my work??

I only weigh myself every two weeks. Two weeks ago it was my TOM and I had started a new exercise routine. So... i'm sure it was water retention only showing a .2 loss. However, I have a weigh in tomorrow... and even though I lost inches two weeks ago (2 inches of stomach) (1.5 inches of thighs) .... I want to get rid of the fat.

I know that I lost more inches from two weeks ago (clothes looser)

However, if this drink is totally killing my efforts... I want to know now. Opinions, thoughts, anything?? Thank you all in advance!!!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    What you eat shouldn't matter in terms of weight loss as long as you're in a deficit. It might make temporary changes - salt, for example, makes us retain water weight - but it won't make much difference in the long run. I always eat loads of sugar as I eat about half my calories in fruit, but I seem to be losing weight just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!!! Whoo-hoo. I love my caramel machiatto coffee creamer in the morning. :)
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Your 6 Tablespoons of creamer is probably 36 g of sugar.
    What is your daily goal?
    If you want to lower it bit by bit, try going to 5 T of creamer for a couple of weeks, then drop to 4, etc.
    I set my sugar goal to 75 g, some days I'm over, some days I'm right there. Some days I'm below, when I'm really watching it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, MFP's sugar goals are set a little low, imo. As long as you're meeting your calorie goals you should still lose weight. And as long as the creamer isn't edging out other nutrients you're fine. Assuming you don't have any health concerns, consider swapping out that column in your diary for something more important to track, like fiber.
  • danaberge
    Options
    I actually don't want to lower my sugar. I just don't want it to be affecting my weight loss. I'm on a restrictive calorie goal... and want to lose fat.

I'm not diabetic. I have no known heart problems. These are things i'm trying to prevent... while losing weight.

I also don't do cheat days. I have slip ups... but I don't intentionally (cheat). So, it's better than the splenda I was ingesting.. and getting massive body pains all over my body. I rather have the real stuff. However, I don't want to throw out all my work.

I should be fine. :) I will see tomorrow.. on the scale.. or in inches on the measuring tape. If I didn't lose... I will plan accordingly.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I actually don't want to lower my sugar. I just don't want it to be affecting my weight loss. I'm on a restrictive calorie goal... and want to lose fat.

I'm not diabetic. I have no known heart problems. These are things i'm trying to prevent... while losing weight.

I also don't do cheat days. I have slip ups... but I don't intentionally (cheat). So, it's better than the splenda I was ingesting.. and getting massive body pains all over my body. I rather have the real stuff. However, I don't want to throw out all my work.

I should be fine. :) I will see tomorrow.. on the scale.. or in inches on the measuring tape. If I didn't lose... I will plan accordingly.

My advice would be to get rid of this mindset of being on a diet. Unless you do, you are doomed to failure.

Instead, embark on a long-term healthy living regime. Eat what you want within a moderate calorie deficit. Do the sports and activities you love. Lift.

If you can never see yourself drinking a caramel mochy-choccy-wotsit ever again, then don't have one. Otherwise, make it fit within an overall goal. You can eat what you want, when you want. You can go out with friends. There can be days when *gasp* you go over your calorie limit.

So what? You'll be under the next day, and the next day and so on.

You're not on a diet. You are living a different lifestyle - for the rest of your life! :happy:
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the drink with a little less sugar? My husband tells them exactly how much sugar to put in his americanos and has worked his way down to 2 pumps for a grande. Even a small adjustment can make a difference, especially if you keep cutting little by little. Some days I indulge with a little sugar in coffee, but most days I drink it with just some pumpkin pie spice. A few years a ago I couldn't stand black coffee.
  • mehitabel83
    mehitabel83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a like button... p4ulmiller nailed it. If you go through all the success stories, the biggest commonality is a realization that calories are king but moderation and consistency supreme rulers. There are things we should strive to improve, but unless you are binging on creamer, if you REALLY enjoy it and can't live without it...keep it. Maybe try to balance it out with more protein, veggies, beans, fiber, water, etc....

Of course, I am vested, as I could NEVER give up my Tiger spice chai.
  • mehitabel83
    mehitabel83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh also I like diannethegeek's comment. I want a like button!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm over on my sugar most days as well. Not every day, but most. It starts out high because I drink a glass of orange juice every morning. I love orange juice. It's the only calories that I drink. I tried the reduce sugar stuff they sell... omg is it disgusting. So, full sugar it is. Then this week our girlscout cookies arrived so my sugar has been WAY over, even though I'm always under my calorie goal.

I'm almost 60 days in to MFP and have been losing pretty steadily so I don't think it's affecting my weight loss. But it's hard to lose that mindset that you can't eat anything unhealthy if you want to lose weight. I know it's hard for me anyway!
  • Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do too, but I think it's inaccurate if you eat a lot of fruit and veggies. A carrot is high in sugar, according to MFP, but has a very low glycemic index. I wish it tracked added sugar.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    The biggest concern you might have with this is starting your day with a high sugar influx. Both the creamer and the granola bars are going to be high in fat and sugar, and be considered "high glycemic index" foods. That being said, studies suggest that causing too many big fluctuations in your blood sugar can ultimately hinder your health goals. I know you're not diabetic, but depending on how obese you are, you could be encouraging insulin resistance issues.

Honestly? Six seems an awful lot to me, and I love me some creamed up coffee. It sounds gross, I really hope it's not all in one cup :oS

I wholeheartedly believe in making it a lifestyle, not a temporary diet... But I can't say I support a daily habit like that. Of course, that's just my opinion, and you don't sound like you want to give it up anyway, so I'm not sure why you're asking. If you seem to be progressing, I don't understand why you would think it was causing you a problem...

Ultimately, I tend to dislike posts where people feel guilty about things they are doing and therefore seek permission to continue those things here on the forums. If you want to do it, then do it. If it worries you, then stop.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly believe in making it a lifestyle, not a temporary diet... But I can't say I support a daily habit like that. Of course, that's just my opinion, and you don't sound like you want to give it up anyway, so I'm not sure why you're asking. If you seem to be progressing, I don't understand why you would think it was causing you a problem...

Ultimately, I tend to dislike posts where people feel guilty about things they are doing and therefore seek permission to continue those things here on the forums. If you want to do it, then do it. If it worries you, then stop.

Yes, then no, then yes again.

Eat what you want within your calorie limit. Then when you've got that figured out, learn about macros. The when you've got that figured out, learn about proper nutrition.

Whatever you do, make it last for a lifetime. Don't feel guilty, do what makes you feel good.
  • danaberge
    Options
    I only weigh myself every two weeks (so i'm not bent out of shape about the numbers on the scale) I'm also in this for life yet it's hard to get out of the "diet" mode as I have been dieting since i'm 12 years old.
    I'm about 120lbs over weight. My goal being a size 10 at 175lbs. Like I was at 19 when I lost 95lbs.
    I didn't lose that weight the healthy way. I didn't maintain that weight the healthy way. I did maintain for 5 years until I got pregnant and the food addiction came back and I gained all the weight back with my first pregnancy.
    Because I only lost 1.8lbs in the last 4 weeks.. I must be doing something wrong. My diary is open. I log all my veggies, I weigh my dressing, meats or anything that is calorie dense. So, i'm either retaining a lot of water because I started exercising a lot (I was totally in active for months before) or... i'm eating too many calories. But i'm only eating maybe half of what I exercise off back (if that) and am pretty accurate 99% of the time. UGH.
    I am back to half and half for my 24oz coffee in the morning. I'm going to see if this makes the difference. I really would like to be losing at least 1.5lbs a week. As, I really have a looooong way to go.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    People always say "I wouldn't worry about it"... but you should... particularly if there is diabetes in your family. My dad was diagnosed with diabetes when I was in high school..... and there for a while I was going WAAAAAY over on my sugar.... but I noticed I was tired all the time, thirsty all the time, and I wasn't losing. Then I started doing a little research. Getting too much ADDED sugar can stall your weightloss... and the first signs of diabetes are... you guessed it... being constantly thirsty, fatigued, etc. So, the recommended amount of ADDED sugar (not naturally occurring in fruits and veggies) is 36g based on a 1500cal diet. I upped my diary settings to 50g factoring in natural sugar... and I have found since I've been doing that... I feel alot better.. and I'm losing again. Some people may not give a hoot.. and maybe they have great genes and diabetes isn't a factor... but I would definately keep an eye on it just for overall health reasons... just my opinion.
  • danaberge
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your input!
    I have decided to trust my instincts and genes and cut out my delicious extra sugary treat every morning. I have decided it will be okay 1 day a week... maybe after these next two weeks. I want to see if this is stalling my progress. If it is.. I may give it up completely as I really want to be back down to at least a size 12 by next year.

Thanks!!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I go over my sugar all the time. My daily limit is 45g ... easily do I go over.

But I eat a lot of fruits and "better sugars"

Skip the creamer in the morning and you will be fine. It may take a while, but black coffee if you get a good roast is really good!
  • tbucks
    tbucks Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I keep sugar and carbs to a very minimal level and have been dropping weight like crazy. There are some good books out there about sugar. These were good reads and helped me a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259
    http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462/

Of course everyone has different opinions, but I have been eating around 1000 calories a day for a month, and have dropped just over 25 pounds. I'm 6'4" and weighed 393 to start, so there was a lot to lose which makes it easier. But, that was with no exercise routine and keeping carbs and sugars pretty much out of my diet.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I keep sugar and carbs to a very minimal level and have been dropping weight like crazy. There are some good books out there about sugar. These were good reads and helped me a lot.

Of course everyone has different opinions, but I have been eating around 1000 calories a day for a month, and have dropped just over 25 pounds. I'm 6'4" and weighed 393 to start, so there was a lot to lose which makes it easier. But, that was with no exercise routine and keeping carbs and sugars pretty much out of my diet.

^^ Yeah ... don't eat 1000 calories a day.
  • tbucks
    tbucks Posts: 72 Member
    Options

^^ Yeah ... don't eat 1000 calories a day.

Do you have any basis for that other than what the app tells you? Have you seen a nutritionist/are you one?