I'm on Crutches, and this makes me sad.

Options
I need some advice from you veterans out there. I'm looking to lose fat, and was doing relatively well before I managed to injure myself (stress fractures and edema in my hip socket, ball joint, and my femur, yay :noway: ) I'm restricted from using my hip flexor and from putting more than 20-30% weight on my right leg.

My question is this, what do you think I CAN do to at least continue to burn calories. Walking on crutches burns a lot, but it also hurts a lot (my ribs are so sore :sad: ). I can swim with a pull buoy, but I have some concerns that this will over work my arms, namely shoulders and traps, and potentially cause excess pain and/or injury.

So what kind of advice can you give me? I miss sweating.

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I was on crutches for 2 months last summer with a broken foot. I just took it easy and let my body heal. I reduced my calorie intake to make up for the reduced TDEE and didn't gain any weight. I didn't try to lose weight (as I was concerned with muscle atrophy) but that could still be accomplished with further reducing calories.
  • jatten
    jatten Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to hear other people's answers to you as well, Bkress, because I damaged my gluteus medius and it seems like every kind of workout I try has a component of pain and damage involved.

The thing I got to do the most of was an Aqua Yoga class (skipping some of the kicking) because the water supported so much of me that my muscle didn't freak out as much. Still not exactly a sweatmaker, though.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I swim (attempt to swim 4-5 days a week) and I have had no issues with pain or injury.

A friend of mine was training with me and she ended up with a slight injury in her shoulder. She went to a physiotherapist got some exercises and was back swimming a week later with no problems since.
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Between the crutches and the cold, I guess I've got some cabin fever. I do keep active, but have been detered from walking since you can't really do that on the treadmill (indoors), and the air outside, well it hurts and it's not exactly strolling weather.

I'm working on keeping my calories in check, trying to stick to about 1300-1800 per day (I like ranges), but it's difficult when the 2 hours I used to dedicate to working out (including prep/drive/shower time) is now vacant.

Like I said, I miss sweating!