I JUST RAN 3 MILES!!

Options
I just have to brag, I have been training for a 5k, and when I started I could hardly run a minute, I tried to run a half a mile a few years ago and literally felt like I was going to die, I never thought I could be a runner..but then I was running 1 mile, then 1.5 mile then 2, but its 3 weeks till my 5k and I hadn't gone the distance yet so yesterday I told myself I have to do it. The most amazing thing, my body felt like it could do it, my mind kept telling me "you have to stop, you cant run 3 miles..what are you doing?" but I felt fine so I told myself that I could keep going and I did. Im amazed...

I just want to tell anyone who doesn't think they can run, who can barely walk upstairs without getting winded that that's where I was, and I told people that I wouldn't ever be a runner, but I have been consistently running 3 days a week, I think I can say I'm a runner..and if I can become one, so can anyone else.

with all the negativity and support that we need in this whole health and fitness thing, I wanted to post some success of a different type.

Replies

• loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    awesome for you!!!! I to have discovered I love running (ok,in my case it is still a jog)..lol
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Well done!

If you run, you are certainly a runner!

:)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work.

Good luck on your 5K, remember to smile for your finish line photo! Crossing the finish line for the first time is exquisite, racing is addictive.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    well done you!!!!:flowerforyou:

I go running on and off (bit of a fair weather runner me) and I have a point, usually after about 10-12 Minutes when my breathing adjusts and I get into my own rhythm and I feel like I can carry on forever.....
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    it is such a great feeling- hold onto it as long as you can and way to kick some butt!
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! If you run you are a runner! Enjoy your first 5K and the accomplishment of finishing!
  • jlc041979
    jlc041979 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Great job! And now that you can run 3, you can run 4, then 5, then the next thing you know you will be running a 1/2 marathon.

Congrats!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS. Isn't that feeling of your mind screaming "no" and your body saying "b-b-but I feel fine!" confusing? And wonderful?! Go you!!
  • shscruggs82
    Options
    well done you!!!!:flowerforyou:

I go running on and off (bit of a fair weather runner me) and I have a point, usually after about 10-12 Minutes when my breathing adjusts and I get into my own rhythm and I feel like I can carry on forever.....

I noticed that to yesterday specifically, but I think pretty much every time, I think I looked at my app when that happened and it was about 6 minutes,
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Congrats :) Here's to the beginning of your running career! Can't wait to see you post "I JUST RAN TEN MILES". I felt like shouting that one from the rooftops.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Congrats! The first 3 miles are always the worst.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Totally awesome, hopefully I will be posting something like this in about 3 months give or take!!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    You're definitely a runner! Congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS. Isn't that feeling of your mind screaming "no" and your body saying "b-b-but I feel fine!" confusing? And wonderful?! Go you!!

LOL, this!!

I ran 5k last night having had a break for a couple of months - I did 3km on Saturday morning, which was a bit of a struggle, but then went straight back to 5km and felt fine. So you don't lose it, even after that length of time!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You rock! Getting to 3 miles is an awesome, er, um, milestone. lol. Especially if your goal is a 5k! Gives you confidence to run the distance before an event.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and brag! It's a big deal!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    WOOO FREAKING HoOOOOO!!!!! I can't wait til I get to this point. Are you just doing it on your own or are you using a program? I'm doing the C25K but I quit after week 5 (I ran 2 flipping miles straight!!) and am now back into it again. I hope I can post a 3 mile celebration!! Congrats!!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Kick *kitten*!