Is NutriSystem worth it?

Options

Replies

• melonylowery
    melonylowery Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have to add the other side. My husband started on nutrisystem and lost about 15 pounds the first month. He has over 100 to lose. Before nutrisystem, if I gave him a normal sized portion he thought I was crazy and that portions must be much larger, even though I was measuring everything. After a month of prepackaged meals (which he says are not as bad as he had feared), he understands portion sizes a lot better and has been making much better choices when he eats. For example, before he would make a sandwich with two slices of bread, mustard, and half a pound of meat. Now, he makes it with two slices of lunch meat. I think it was well worth it for him to learn more about correct portions.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think making your own food is better long term not only because it is less processed, but you can't do NutriSystem forever. It may be a great starting point though. Perhaps doing NutriSystem 6 days a week and one day to try new healthy homemade foods and slowly incorporating more days your own homemade healthy sustainable recipes. Changing your eating is a tough and overwhelming process when all you know how to do is eat bad (speaking for myself lol.) Having NutriSystem plan it in the beginning while learning and trying more may put you on the path toward better long term results.

I have never tried it but have a friend who had great success while on the program but fell back into old habits afterward because she didn't know what to eat once she stopped the program.

Good luck to you.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I find their food to be not very good (have done it in the past). It's great for the portion control part of it though. But you still need to buy veggies and stuff so....I guess decide if the cost is worth it!
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif

Every time I see this all I can think is just how magical and majestic that beard is.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'd do Lean Cuisines 4X per day before I did Nutrisystem
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I tried it, and ended up eBaying the rest of the food simply due to the taste. That said, if your sense of curiosity is really just screaming for you to see what it's like - go to eBay and scoop up a bulk lot of their food from someone else who's bailing on the plan. That way you can give the foods a try without committing yourself to the NS database and mailing lists. ;)
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Mom my swears by it...but the whole thing grosses me out. Nothing has to be refrigerated, and lasts for months and months. I have no idea what they put in their beef patties, etc, but if it doesn't require refrigeration, it can't possibly be healthy. Everything is laden with all sorts of chemicals and artificial this and thats. But then again, my mom says that even the small size pastas, keeps her full for hours on end. I guess it really depends on what's more important, losing the weight or being healthy.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have to add the other side. My husband started on nutrisystem and lost about 15 pounds the first month. He has over 100 to lose. Before nutrisystem, if I gave him a normal sized portion he thought I was crazy and that portions must be much larger, even though I was measuring everything. After a month of prepackaged meals (which he says are not as bad as he had feared), he understands portion sizes a lot better and has been making much better choices when he eats. For example, before he would make a sandwich with two slices of bread, mustard, and half a pound of meat. Now, he makes it with two slices of lunch meat. I think it was well worth it for him to learn more about correct portions.

I'd let him have his 8 oz of meat, and use half the bread, or skinny bread.
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    Pretty much a scam honestly. The food is disgusting, and over priced. If you want preportioned meals that dont taste like dog **** try Smart Ones, or Lean Cuisines. You being mentally prepared is all it takes to lose weight.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No cause once you stop eating their food you gain all the weight back. Don't waste your money. You can lose weight on your own--cheaper.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I had great success on Jenny Craig back in 1992 (dropping from 200 to 140) until I couldn't afford it any more and had to eat on my own again. I gained it all back within 2 years and of course, much, much more as the years went by. It was very similar to Nutrisystem...pricey, mediocre to blah meals, and no real personal responsibility.

You can do what Nutrisystem does for FREE and with the added benefit of learning how to do it for yourself, so you are better set for a lifetime of making better choices to get yourself to and keep yourself at the optimum health and fitness.

MFP is free - track your calories here. Get a reasonable calorie goal. Weigh and measure your foods. You don't even need Nutrisystem or whatever to show you what true portion sizes are. Just a food scale! And it's way more flexible then Nutrisystem.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    This...
    Here is my thought. When you are ready to lose the weight - you will. If you've been on MFP for 2 years and have not taken advantage of all the awesome people on here that can support and guide you? Then you're not ready. NutriSystem will be $309.00 down the tubes - because you're not ready.

It's important to have a plan. A sustainable plan. But the KEY is to get your mind in the right place. Good luck.

and this...
    IXUO5zJ.gif

Every time I see this all I can think is just how magical and majestic that beard is.

yes...it is magical and majestic...

Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+<span class=

And most definitely read this!!!
    http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/#comment-10883
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    No! Why would you want to waste your money?!? Eat right and exercise and the weight will come off!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    No.

Having said that, I did try out for a couple of months because I found a deal. The take home lesson from it is ...portion control. I did learn to cut my meal to smaller size. Some might say it's obvious and I must be really dumb to learn it in such expensive way, but...that was what I got out of it. :blushing:
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options

This can be accomplished by going to the grocery and buying frozen meals that don't taste like crap for less money. Just sayin' :wink:
  • nursebecky4
    nursebecky4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    H20 Maniac -

It is worth a try. At 90lbs overweight, it is a good place to start to get use to portion size and help with food cravings. Perhaps when you get that momentum initiated and going (the way NutriSystem, JennyCraig can kickstart), then you will be better equipped "on your own" with MFP.
    Look at your monthly grocery/eaing out expenses. $309/month (+/- $100 for added fruits/veggies per month) may not be that unrealistic financially. It something I found helpful to do initially, and it worked even on my frugal budget. I enjoy finer foods (like everyone), but I still found nutrisystem foods pallitable.

Best -
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I do know someone who has done this and she dropped tons of weight.
    However, she couldn't afford to keep it up and as soon as she stopped the program she gained it all back and then some.
    She even was trying to be smart about what she ate and control portion size and still started gaining rapidly.
    I'm not sure what they put in it, but the old fashioned calorie counting and exercise is cheaper and works long term.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No. But I hear salads hold their value...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif

This.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's $309.99 per month. I am 90 lbs overweight. Been struggling for years. The last 2 with MFP.

Would you say it's worth it?

What's the plan for when you stop NutriSystem?

The answer is there is no plan. You will have developed no new food habits or learned anything about portion size, calorie intake, etc. You will immediately go right back to your old habits and put the weight back on.