Wrist pain after lifting weights

Options
Im new to lifting but I know that I have to stop depending on cardio so I started stronglifts 5X5 and I really like it. Easy basic cant mess it up and I dont have to think about it I just go do the routine. No 15 different exercise for my sub lateral dorsal fin muscle group bull****...
Squat, Press, Dead Lift, Row. EASY!!!!

Ive developed wrist pain. Id describe it like this. Shin splints but in my wrists starting just below the meat of my palms, the anteriror? Pinky side, where the wrist starts and traveling down 3-4 inches. the reading Ive done says poor form/wrist bending.

Last night I did..Squats, Bench Press, Rows. Wrists super Sore this morning. No idea where my wrists could be bending. bench press Im locked out. Rows???

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Im new to lifting but I know that I have to stop depending on cardio so I started stronglifts 5X5 and I really like it. Easy basic cant mess it up and I dont have to think about it I just go do the routine. No 15 different exercise for my sub lateral dorsal fin muscle group bull****...
    Squat, Press, Dead Lift, Row. EASY!!!!

Ive developed wrist pain. Id describe it like this. Shin splints but in my wrists starting just below the meat of my palms, the anteriror? Pinky side, where the wrist starts and traveling down 3-4 inches. the reading Ive done says poor form/wrist bending.

Last night I did..Squats, Bench Press, Rows. Wrists super Sore this morning. No idea where my wrists could be bending. bench press Im locked out. Rows???

Probably technique issue somewhere. The points I'd check:

Overhead press and bench press, view from the side (use your cell phone and video it) and make sure the barbell lies over the forearm during both presses. If you have your wrists bent backwards and/or the barbell seated too high up in the palm you will essentially create a lever/add torque to your wrists and additionally you'll lose pressing power. (If your wrists are bent back and you view this from the side, the barbell will be behind your forearms rather than directly over them).

You could potentially be having wrist issues if you are low bar back squatting and your wrists are bearing some of the load of the barbell rather than placing your wrists over the barbell. Not as likely an issue with high bar placement.

Could also be a number of other things but I'd check the above first and it wouldn't surprise me if it's pressing movements. It's a fairly common issue in my opinion.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    ^ In addition to the above form checks, which are critical, consider using wrist wraps. They have helped me tremendously with heavy dumbbell work, clean and jerks, and other movements that tend to strain the wrists.

(Waits for the jokes . . . lol)
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    that sounds like an ulnar rotation going on. There is an ulnar nerve that runs right where you are describing and you are probably just putting too much pressure on it. I agree with getting some wrist straps, or more importantly, lift light until your muscle memory is there and you develop proper wrist form so you don't cause serious injury to yourself!
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You also might want to work on strengthening your wrists themselves. Wrist curls and reverse curls can help.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    lift light? I don't understand? You mean give less than 100%?
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Get some wrist wraps from the sporting goods store, they will give you some more support on your lifts
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    lift light? I don't understand? You mean give less than 100%?

Wear the wraps, work on form, and push it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ^ In addition to the above form checks, which are critical, consider using wrist wraps. They have helped me tremendously with heavy dumbbell work, clean and jerks, and other movements that tend to strain the wrists.

(Waits for the jokes . . . lol)

No jokes here...I do the same.

OP, out of curiosity...what weights did you start with? I know with Starting Strength you actually start off really light and just work on form as well as developing those smaller support muscles and tendons so that they are ready to rock when you start really overloading the BB. If you just started out pretty heavy from the get go, that may be part of your problem.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    OP, out of curiosity...what weights did you start with? I know with Starting Strength you actually start off really light and just work on form as well as developing those smaller support muscles and tendons so that they are ready to rock when you start really overloading the BB. If you just started out pretty heavy from the get go, that may be part of your problem.

It started extremely Low... Like painfully low. Like I should just go get some pink rubber covered stuff from the aerobic room and do my workouts. the first few workouts I tentatively added until I was lifting till fail. So I think they wanted me to start at like 45 pound squats?? Ya..not going to waste 20 workouts getting to where I should actually START. I loaded up after warming up and then pushed to see where I could get them.

Squat progression went.. 115, 120, 145, 185, 190, 205 <---between Feb 14th and feb 25th. I did not do a severe an increase in the other lifts. My legs are strong and I knew my body could handle it. 205 lbs squats are really pretty light still I think but its all i could handle 2 days ago... I will say I will probably progress at 5 or 10 lb increments in the squat from here on out.

I do understand the importance of building the smaller support muscles... But as a runner I question its necessity. When I started running at 275lbs My legs hurt! Incredible shin splints. I couldn't lose weight fast enough to decrease the massive pounding my legs took each time I ran it was just a matter of time to allow my body to make changes to the stress I was pushing on it. I'm sure this is similar. I've over stressed the surrounding support structure. Rest and recovery is important I've been training in triathlon and marathons long enough to have learned to listen to my body so I feel comfortable in being aggressive with the weight progression.