When did you consider yourself a runner?

Options
2»

Replies

• workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Ive been running for just over a year and I started calling myself a runner when i compelted the C25K. If you run regularly then you are a runner. I havent even ran as far as you - my longest run is 8 miles. You are a runner. We dont all love it every time and there has been the occasion where I have stopped dead and walked home. Bad runs happen but there is nothing better than that feeling of a run completed :)
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    After you have your first bleeding nipple experience..

Then I hope never to be a runner, because nothing about that sounds fun =)
  • bobbijodmb
    Options
    I think a real runner is someone who runs regularly, you don't even have to enjoy it, so long as you run at least once a week I would call you a real runner.

People I don't consider real runners are like my neighbors. They sign up for races all the time: half marathons, 5k's, 10k's. Then they put their running shoes on maybe 2 or 3 times before the race to train and then end up walking the whole thing. Signing up for a race doesn't make you a runner. Training for it and then continuing with your training for that next race makes you a runner.

I don't care if you run slow, fast, walk half of your run. If you go out consistently you are a runner.

I hear what you are saying though. I started running regularly about 6 years ago. By my own definition I was a runner that first year, but I didn't really feel like a runner until I completed my first half marathon. Now I have run many, many half marathons a few really tough relay races and a marathon. I for sure call myself a runner, but I don't think people have to do all I have done to be considered a runner.

I like that. I think I was your neighbor before ha ha. When I would randomly sign up for 5k's and never train, I didn't consider myself a runner, just something to do. But I feel like its been different now as you have talked about.
  • bobbijodmb
    Options
    I started to kind of think I was a runner when I started a 10k training program after doing my first 5k race last year.

Then, when I was in Hawaii over Christmas, and I got up before my family (so like 630am on holidays) just so I could run while on holiday, in Hawaii, it hit me. I'm a runner. Because only a runner would be in this beautiful place and the first thought that goes through their head is "hey, I'm on vacation in Hawaii but I'm still going to get up at 630 am to run. Which way should I go today?"

I know that story is probably hard to understand, but I got really excited typing it lol

No i totally get this-- I am going to San Diego this summer and when we were checking out the places to stay, I picked the one that had a running path right outside the door to do the same thing ha ha.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    When you run, you're a runner. You can start to consider yourself a runner when running is a part of your life, it doesn't matter how far you go with it, if it still matters to you.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I do marathons but I try to avoid calling myself a runner because I never wanted to be one, it just sort of happened by accident. After July when I have my last stupid run that I've signed up for I shall be retiring. No more running. /hates running
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When I first got out of the Marines after my five year stint I told myself, and everyone I knew, that I would never run again. A decade later my wife informed me that i was required to live past 40, so I had to lose weight. I also really like food, so I needed to find a way to burn larger ammounts of calories so that i could indulge more and still lose weight.

With this in mind, and so as to remain an honest person I must say that I don't run. 4 times a week I go for a stroll at a really fast pace for 3-6 miles a time.

What... Everyone that walks a lot has 2 pairs of fitted shoes and a shelving unit that holds nothing but synthetic socks, wicking underwear, wind pants, mesh lined shorts, technical shirts in both long and short sleeves, reflective vests, tights, I-phone bi-cept pouches, HRM's, tendon straps, poly winter caps, poly gloves and chafe sticks...

Don't they?
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I covered 11 miles yesterday. Am I a runner? Well, I sure didn't feel like one yesterday.

I had an awful time. Nothing went right, Runkeeper kept force closing, my music was messing up, it was cold, I didn't take enough water and got dehydrated, I ate the wrong thing for breakfast and had to stop to heave a few times, and only made 11 of the 12.5 miles I was supposed to do. I'm four weeks out from a half marathon, and I could have really used a more positive experience. I'm slow. I'm still fat. I have to alternate walking and running to cover long distances. I suck at this.

But you know what? I'll go for my short run tomorrow. I'll lace up those shoes and head back out for 12 miles a few runs from now. I'll put on the layers and face the cold again. I won't let myself be defeated.

Yes, I am a runner. And the day I refused to quit is when I became one.

That just means that your next long run will be one of the best runs yet. I find that one or two totally horrible, barely tolerable runs are followed by those run forever and never get tired type of runs. Those are what I live for.

OP, the fact that you've started picking hotels and vacation destinations based on whether there's a running trail near it is proof, that like it or not, you are a runner. :) welcome to the club!
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When you got off the couch and ran, you became a runner! If you do it regularly, then you're a runner. It doesn't matter if you only run one mile 5 days a week, a mile is still a mile, and that makes you a runner! :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're *kitten* is not on the couch - you're a runner :)

indeed.

I am not a runner. except for when I go for my tri annual run... yeah- I literally deciede to start running when I cut- and I go for maybe 3 months a year- inconsistently on and off through the month- not even through the week.

I'm running.

I'm not a RUNNER runner- but I'm running- so there fore- I'm a runner. right then and there- I'm a runner.

When I go back to bulking and I do zip zero nada cardio- I stop being a runner.

but when I go outside take my shirt off- and go for a run.

I'm a runner.
  • bobbijodmb
    Options
    I covered 11 miles yesterday. Am I a runner? Well, I sure didn't feel like one yesterday.

I had an awful time. Nothing went right, Runkeeper kept force closing, my music was messing up, it was cold, I didn't take enough water and got dehydrated, I ate the wrong thing for breakfast and had to stop to heave a few times, and only made 11 of the 12.5 miles I was supposed to do. I'm four weeks out from a half marathon, and I could have really used a more positive experience. I'm slow. I'm still fat. I have to alternate walking and running to cover long distances. I suck at this.

But you know what? I'll go for my short run tomorrow. I'll lace up those shoes and head back out for 12 miles a few runs from now. I'll put on the layers and face the cold again. I won't let myself be defeated.

Yes, I am a runner. And the day I refused to quit is when I became one.

That just means that your next long run will be one of the best runs yet. I find that one or two totally horrible, barely tolerable runs are followed by those run forever and never get tired type of runs. Those are what I live for.

OP, the fact that you've started picking hotels and vacation destinations based on whether there's a running trail near it is proof, that like it or not, you are a runner. :) welcome to the club!

Thanks =)