Why am I so scared?

Options
Hi,

I have been trying to lose weight since November 2013 and the problem I keep coming up against is anxiety about exercising. I mainly get nervous about going up to the next stage. I am doing both c25k and 30ds. I have gotten to week 5 with c25k and did get through all of level 2 of 30 ds. But its now been nearly two weeks since I went for a run and I can't remember when I done 30ds last. I feel horrible for not doing as much as I should as the benefits to my mental health have been extraordinary but I can't seem to get out of the way of myself to keep on track. I know I am scared of failure and a bad run or workout have a bad effect on me and the logical part of me knows that not doing anything is a bigger failure.

How on earth do I get past this because time so far hasn't been the answer?

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Just go out and run or do your workout. Sometimes you just have to face the fear without needing to understand why it's there. Say "F* It" and do it (or choose your own less offensive imperative). All I've got for you - good luck! :drinker:
  • deadyankee
    Options
    It's because your identity is currently not 'that' person, not the fit person who works out. Same here. It's hard but you just have to push through the mental barrier. Only you can do it, and you have to grab it by the scruff of the neck and just do it. No thinking, no posting, just get out there. Your motivation has to focus on the future benefit, not the immediate anxiety and hard work. You can be 'that' person and you deserve to be.
  • phantomjam
    phantomjam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do you run because you enjoy it? Perhaps, you need some variety. Maybe, you'd prefer something more social?

Just thoughts
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm not following why a bad workout would have a bad effect on you. You're doing better than the person sitting on the couch........
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I work out often and am not afraid to try anything usually. On Monday I was offered free dance lessons at my daughters dance school. I have also liked the idea of dancing but was terrified of making a fool of myself. I made myself go alone as I had no one to go with and loved every minute. Yes it was difficult, it was streetdance and they are 8 weeks into rehearsing their show dance. I tried my best I couldn't keep up but I tried. I enjoyed it so much and signed up for classes. I am also taking part in the show. I am so proud of myself for doing this and you can push yourself too. You will be so proud of yourself when you do.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Running is just not some people's cup of tea. I agree with the above poster-- do you like other exercises? Swimming, spinning, step aerobics, etc.? If so, then do those.

There's no law that says you have to run to be fit.
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Really enjoy the running. I find it relaxing and I can go when its suitable for me which as a working mum who is also doing a degree with a partner who works shifts!

I enjoy my workouts while they are happening but the anxiety before hand is close to panic and that is really starting to get to me.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I agree
    Do you like to run? Are you afraid of actually Doing a 5K and all the people? then maybe its not your thing.

The only Real thing to be afraid of with a workout is Not doing it.

Do you have anxiety in other area's of your life that stop you from doing things, or just this???

If its just this, then see yourself as a Changing person. there's not a finish line, its a new life.

If you have other anxieties to this degree, see a doc. Truly NOT being mean, but they can spiral out of control. I'm watching my sister do that, to where she's 'afraid' to go to work.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I would consult a mental health professional ASAP.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Give yourself permission to do less than you think that you "should".

You don't ALWAYS have to progress (within C25K or in the 30DS program). Give yourself permission to do the same routine for several days or even several weeks, if you need to. You are doing this for you to improve or maintain your fitness, for YOU. It is not a competition, and you don't even have to compete with yourself.

Just go out and be active! Don't put so much pressure on yourself to achieve X, Y or Z.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I used to be an avid runner in high school but later in life, venous insufficiency has forced me to stop running altogether (doctor's order). I always feel a bit inadequate when I see people on the treadmill next to me running at a healthy clip for several minutes or more. I just can't do that anymore so I power walk at 4.2 mph with the incline at 10-12 for 35-40 minutes. It's a tough workout but I do it and I don't feel guilty anymore for not running. I'm proud of myself when I step off the treadmill and know I've kicked butt....even if everyone around me was running at 6-7 mph.

My point is, you have to find a workout that makes you feel like the person are becoming and own it. Ask yourself why you're feeling anxious before a workout. What makes you so panicky? Adjust your training so that you feel good about it and you'll move past this anxiety. The sooner, the better :)
  • chapklc
    chapklc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will stop you, is yourself. You already know this... so just take a deep breath, keep breathing, and make yourself move.

It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you can get your heart rate up where it needs to be, and warm up those muscles. How much, is up to you and what results you want to see. Push that mental thing aside, and just look down the road, only just a little bit... the long term window can be hard to swallow, so just take it day by day... and you know what, like another posted comment, You are out there doing what it takes... much better than sitting on the couch or hiding away.

I look like a total goober running, and it isn't my thing, so i'll never be a runner, but lately I've been dabbling in walk/jog, just really speeding up my walk, and actually feel like i'm jogging, just on the slower side. Thought my hubby would be embarrassed, but he just keeps on encouraging...

So i see you've lost weight already... JUST keep up the good work... and keep moving forward!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Could the fact that your workout programs have strict progressions be causing the issue? For example, if you're supposed to be starting on Week 6 and you end up only doing a Week 5 run, are you counting that as a "failed" workout? That kind of rigid structure works for some people, but they're not the only way to exercise. Would it work better for you to just have a goal to do a 30-minute run? In the end, whatever gets you moving is the right program for you.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You like running and find it relaxing. I honestly would talk to a doc.... asap.....

How old is your baby? hormones may be messed up and throwing off anxiety. If you Truly feel you cannot control it, seek help.
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind responses. The baby is not really a baby anymore at 21 months! I have had anxiety problems before but don't want to see a dr just yet as I want to try everything I can first before seeking help. The mental health support around here is terrible and its very stressful mearly trying to get the right support.! I think I have come up with a little plan after reading all of your responses.

1. Talk to my partner about how I am feeling and ask him to help me past this
    2. Go back to level 1 on 30ds and stay on week 5 of c25k until I am feeling more comfortable, no pressure just getting out there again
    3. Buy some new workout pants so I get all excited about trying them out.

If all else fails then seek medical help
  • chapklc
    chapklc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That, is great news!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan to me! Go for it and know that you have plenty of support here from people who understand struggles. It comes with the territory. Now go get yourself some nice work out pants : )