What Not to Say to Runners

Options
I came accross this on about.com and thought I share this with all the runners on MFP. And maybe for non-runners who have runners on their FL.

http://running.about.com/od/RunningHumorStories/a/What-Not-To-Say-To-Runners.htm

Once you've been running long enough, you'll inevitably encounter some naysayers who don't like, can't appreciate, or just don't understand your running habit (or obsession). Some of them will make comments that are ignorant, silly, just plain clueless, mean, and – yes -- sometimes very entertaining. To help non-runners avoid offending their running friends, here's a list of comments that runners just don't want to hear:

•"Why are you so slow?"

•"Why do you run? It's SO boring!"

•"You run so much -- why haven't you lost weight?"

•"Why didn't you beat your time from last year?"

•"You're running another marathon? Why would you do that?"

•"So when do you think you'll qualify for Boston?

•"I get tired driving that far!"

•"So how far is this marathon?"

•"Running will ruin your knees!"

•"Don't you know people die running marathons?"

•"Why would you pay that much just to run a race?"

•"You're almost there!" (when the finish line is nowhere in sight)

•"So what if you're injured? I'd be happy if a doctor told me I couldn't run a race!"

•"Oh, so everyone gets a medal at the end?"

•"I thought runners were supposed to be skinny!"

•"So did you win?"

•"I tried running once –- I hated it!"

•"I would run but I don't like to sweat that much."

•"I didn't think old people could run that far!"

•"I did a marathon once -- it was one of the 5K ones."

•(to a pregnant runner) "Are you trying to have the baby while you're running or something?"

•"Who cares if you have a race tomorrow? Just have a beer!"

Replies

• knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    lol i've heard a lot of these too. i hate it when people talk to me like what i'm doing is silly.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    "you know you're not going to win, right?"

Wait, you mean I'm not going to win the Chicago Marathon? I am shocked. SHOCKED, I say.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Worst one for me is: "Oh, I ran a marathon once when I was in college" ... Then I learn that the marathon was 5k...

Ugh!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    "You're almost there!" (when the finish line is nowhere in sight)

^^^ THIS!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yes - it still surprises me how many people don't know how long a marathon is and/or think it can be multiple distances (and very SHORT distances)..it is and forever will be TWENTY SIX POINT TWO MILES!

Also, the whole "you're going to ruin your knees" kills me...seriously...I could also ruin them doing other things too...like being overweight. Trust me there are worse things for my health than running!

Those are my biggest pet peeves...
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    "Oh, so everyone gets a medal at the end?"

hahaha *kitten* you, give me my medal. I need something to grip between my teeth while I ice my *kitten* for the next 3 days.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Heck, I say these to myself....especially that first one, "Why are you so slow?" :)
  • RunnerLisa1
    RunnerLisa1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've given up trying to explain to people that a marathon is 26.2 miles, when I run any distance & people ask how my marathon went I just say "Awesome!" lol The worst are non-runners who are drunk that feel the need to butt into your conversation about running & go off on all the things you've listed. I'm not a violent person but nothing makes me wanna go fist to cuffs more than at that moment!
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I will flip you off every time if you yell out your car window "RUN FORREST RUN!" at me while I am running.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    "Why would you pay that much just to run a race?"

I have gotten this one from my husband LOL!!!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    "I only run when someone is chasing me" :noway:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My comeback to just about all of them is "I used to say that. Never believed that I'd ever be able to run. Well, a lot can change in a year."
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I will flip you off every time if you yell out your car window "RUN FORREST RUN!" at me while I am running.

This is when I really wish I had the ability to kill things with my mind.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I haven't been running long enough to get these remarks. Or maybe I just don't hear them because of my earphones...

Of course I tend to be oblivious to things I don't want to hear :ohwell:
  • krys185
    Options
    "run faster" or anything that implies that... what do you think I am trying to do?!
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have heard several of these comments over the years. The best one that I heard was {not on this list} your uterus is going to fall out if you keep on running. LOL.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    •"I did a marathon once -- it was one of the 5K ones."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options

Haha - I say this to myself when I see my shadow!
  • arabellaflagg
    arabellaflagg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have heard several of these comments over the years. The best one that I heard was {not on this list} your uterus is going to fall out if you keep on running. LOL.

Oh gosh! I remember reading at the time of the summer Olympics that women in some countries are still prohibited from sports for this very reason. I was shocked that people could have so little knowledge of the female body. Guess those myths are more prevalent than I thought.

I do mostly sprint work, the occasional 5k and a former co-worker insisted that you have to run marathons to really sweat and lose weight so she suggested I run in a several layers to sweat out more fat. I got a chuckle.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    OMG! I wish! would save me a lot of pain and annoyance