Is there a such thing as...

Options
2»

Replies

• tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You need to focus on running, push-ups and situps in everywork out. You worth and first impression as a Soldier will be your AFPT score. Make Sure your form is in compliance with Army standards, Pushups - you have to go down until your upperarm is parallel with the ground. Situps - Butt can not come off the ground, knees cannot be more than 45deg, and figures must remain interlocked behind your head.

Strength training will help you out, but it should focus on carrying heavy stuff over long distances. Do a forced ruck march at least once. Get a backpack, load it up with 40-50lbs and walk faster that 3 miles per our (1 mile every 20 mins) with the ideal being 4 mph (1mi/15 min). This will prevent you from being body shocked by that first walk.

There is no such thing as overtraining in the Army, so train harder.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    How many days a week to you think Army PRT will have you doing some form of resistance training?

I honestly have no idea. I just want to be prepared for Basic Training, so I'm not the "weakling" of the bunch.

The answer is all day, everyday. Again, no such thing as over training.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I do a competitive stairclimb every year, so I need both cardio endurance and strength since I'm moving my body up a steep incline.

The strength training will increase your cardio stamina...my stairclimbing requires good muscular in my glutes and legs.

I'm 50, and last year I did 54 flights in 12 minutes, so I can say that at least it works for me.

I think what you want to avoid is overtraining so listen to your body. If you've never strength trained before, start slow. Bodybuilding.com has some good training programs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You need to focus on running, push-ups and situps in everywork out. You worth and first impression as a Soldier will be your AFPT score. Make Sure your form is in compliance with Army standards, Pushups - you have to go down until your upperarm is parallel with the ground. Situps - Butt can not come off the ground, knees cannot be more than 45deg, and figures must remain interlocked behind your head.

Strength training will help you out, but it should focus on carrying heavy stuff over long distances. Do a forced ruck march at least once. Get a backpack, load it up with 40-50lbs and walk faster that 3 miles per our (1 mile every 20 mins) with the ideal being 4 mph (1mi/15 min). This will prevent you from being body shocked by that first walk.

There is no such thing as overtraining in the Army, so train harder.

that's about right.

I'd also say the basis of training is different for the army since you are training for a particular (albeit out of date) standard- it's still the standard.

Lots of running + things would be important for that- but in general- running is over rated- but with the Army they like to do all manner of things for various reasons- one of them is running a lot- and doing things. LOL
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    What you're doing isn't too much at all, especially because you're training to a standard that includes a sizeable cardio component. A lot of people in the military do cardio five days a week, sometimes even more, in order to keep up with the standards.

When it comes to strength, by all means, start now. Just remember to actually perform the actions that are part of the test, too. I've had many troops who have trouble passing the tests despite going to the gym and doing all kinds of exercises becasue they simply weren't practicing the motions they were going to be tested on.