Working towards 1/2 Marathon

I'm a chubby asthmatic who had big goals in April of 2013 when I registered for a 1/2 marathon for April of this year. :drinker:

I'm six weeks out. I'm feeling good, losing inches, losing pounds, but I'm still slow and chubby and asthmatic. I average a 16:00-30mile. I did 6.5 miles on Sunday, I'm going for 2 tonight, 4 on Friday and 8 for Sunday.

There is a 4 hour time limit and...well...I may walk a good chunk. Do folks do that? Would I look like a goober walking a good portion of this thing? I figure it's safer than being scraped up off the pavement... Someone make me feel better. :laugh: I've got big goals, but I'm just not there yet and it's too late to turn back now!

Replies

• ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    I can't run due to shin issues so... you're doing WAAAY better than me! <3

I'm doing the Color Run in April, but my team is walking it lol
  • jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Walking is totally ok. I actually follow the run/walk method which means that I actually put walk breaks in my runs everytime I run, unless I am doing speed work or other such workouts. I usually do 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking. I really like it because it gives me a short rest period and makes me feel like I can go even farther than I would if I didn;t have walk breaks. There will be people who say that you aren't a "runner" if you walk, but they are just dumb. :) Keep at it. My only advice would be start at the back of the pack so that people who run full speed right from the beginning don;t have to dodge you. Other than that, have an awesome race!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Do walk/run intervals for your half. It'll help your time more than just walking.

Make sure the half you've signed up for allows walking. I did one and walking it wasn't allowed (like for miles type walking. Catching a breath walking is ok).

Its probably more possible to finish in sub 4hrs if you walk/run it. To finish in exactly 4hra, you need a 3.275mph average pace which is an 18:19/mi.

I've walked a half as part of the Avon Walk 2 Day and it was day 2 so I was sore. But it took me less than 4hrs.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    I'm a chubby asthmatic who had big goals in April of 2013 when I registered for a 1/2 marathon for April of this year. :drinker:

I'm six weeks out. I'm feeling good, losing inches, losing pounds, but I'm still slow and chubby and asthmatic. I average a 16:00-30mile. I did 6.5 miles on Sunday, I'm going for 2 tonight, 4 on Friday and 8 for Sunday.

There is a 4 hour time limit and...well...I may walk a good chunk. Do folks do that? Would I look like a goober walking a good portion of this thing? I figure it's safer than being scraped up off the pavement... Someone make me feel better. :laugh: I've got big goals, but I'm just not there yet and it's too late to turn back now!

Good for you! I am not as ambitious--doing a 5 miler at the end of April, a 10 miler in October, and considering a 1/2 marathon in November.

Sounds like you can meet the time deadline, especially if you walk/run.

You will do great!:smile:
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    I've done about 7 1/2 marathons and have yet to run the entire time. There are PLENTY of people walking on the course at various stages and paces. I agree with others you may want to do intervals of walking and running (Galloway method) to help you get across the finish line in time.

And another tip - get as far to the front of your corral as possible. The time limit starts when the last person crosses the starting line (at least at the races I've been at where they sweep). So if your corral is further up, you will have extra time to work with - meaning if you went over 4 hours you should be ok.

Good Luck! I LOVE half marathon races - but hate the training :)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    So i normally run half marathons at a 9:30 to 10 min pace. I had a HM last Sunday. I assumed I was going to put out my normal performance, but I've been sick for weeks with a sinus infection and ear infection and just went on dehydrating antibiotics 3 days before the race. I didn't feel great, but it didn't occur to me until I started that i wouldn't be able to run the whole way. I started at a 9+ min pace in the 1st mile, and rapidly decreased my pace. After passing the mile 6 sign, I started walking. I tried to bring it up to a run at mile 7, but i was cramping everywhere so it just wasn't possible. So i kept walking. I was passed by a lot of people, but every time I checked there were still people behind me. My race had 3:30 as the posted cut off, but i checked the results and there were finishers with both their gun time and net time over the 4 hour mark. So check last year's results because you may have more time than you think.

I kind of liked the experience of being at the back of the pack too. I feel like there may be some decent photos for me not being blocked by other runners and i crossed the finish line all by myself. And everyone cheered. My time was still under 3 hours, but i was in the last 100 to come in. And this was such a well organized race that there was still plenty of beer and soup at the party when i arrived.

Do it! Coming up with a specific run walk strategy might be a good idea rather than what I had to do, run half then walk half. Just have fun!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    First off, congrats for signing up for one! That is huge on it's own!

Second, I signed up for my first 1/2 for last Sept, I ended up walking quite a bit (due to pinched nerves in both my feet). There was a cut off of 3hrs 15min and I ended up crossing the finish (which my best friend begged them to keep it open for me) at 3:29;53. And I could see the few people ahead of me in the far distance walking often as well.

I don't have asthma but I beyond chubby. I weighed 235lb when I crossed the line.

Best of luck to you!!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Also, I'm determined to do the same coarse either this year or next year now that my pinched nerves are under control.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Thank you guys! I still have 6 weeks so I'm hoping I can step it up quite a bit...I just don't want to stick out too bad if I walk/run. I'm doing it alone so I'm a little nervous. :laugh:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Make sure they allow walking. If you think you can finish in the allowed time, go for it.
  • charming12u
    charming12u Posts: 49 Member
    There are LOTS of run/walkers, jalkers (that's what my friends call me) and walkers out there at races. If you race isn't new, go look at last year's results to get an idea on what the pace for the later finishers was. You might be surprised to see people finishing over the limit (not that you need to worry about that! But it does give you peace of mind) Even when I busted myself on on 1/2 and had to take a strolling paces, still finished around 3:30. You've got this!
  • nkovacs1954
    nkovacs1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Good for you. Doesn't matter if you "finish" or not...it does if you start.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    And another tip - get as far to the front of your corral as possible. The time limit starts when the last person crosses the starting line (at least at the races I've been at where they sweep). So if your corral is further up, you will have extra time to work with - meaning if you went over 4 hours you should be ok.

Just to clarify this: If your race seeds people into corrals based on a qualifying time, it is fine to go to the front of your corral. But please do not go all the way to the front of the entire pack and line up on the starting line. It will be no fun for you and the thousands of people who will be trying to pass you without tripping or bumping in to you. If everyone is starting as a single group, you should be near the back of the pack. Unless the race has tens of thousands of runners (in which case they will be in corrals), it will probably take no more than 5 minutes for everyone to cross the start, so that should not be an issue.

If your race has a 4 hour time limit they almost certainly expect a lot of people to be walking; you could actually walk the entire race at that speed if you kept up a decent clip. I would suggest run / walking it -- you will definitely finish quicker! Look up the Galloway method for more tips!

Good luck in your race! It's a huge accomplishment to complete a half-marathon, no matter how long it takes you!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member

Just to clarify this: If your race seeds people into corrals based on a qualifying time, it is fine to go to the front of your corral. But please do not go all the way to the front of the entire pack and line up on the starting line. It will be no fun for you and the thousands of people who will be trying to pass you without tripping or bumping in to you. If everyone is starting as a single group, you should be near the back of the pack. Unless the race has tens of thousands of runners (in which case they will be in corrals), it will probably take no more than 5 minutes for everyone to cross the start, so that should not be an issue.

If your race has a 4 hour time limit they almost certainly expect a lot of people to be walking; you could actually walk the entire race at that speed if you kept up a decent clip. I would suggest run / walking it -- you will definitely finish quicker! Look up the Galloway method for more tips!

Good luck in your race! It's a huge accomplishment to complete a half-marathon, no matter how long it takes you!

They are corraling people by their qualifying time (I remember having to give a guesstimate on how long it would take me, I was conservative thankfully). There will be 12,500 runners total. It's a 1/2 and full marathon. I will look up the Galloway method, thank you!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i'm a firm believer to aim high. so aim to not walk it. work hard, train hard, and tell yourself you aren't going to walk it.

but keep it in your back pocket that if you have to walk it, you can.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member

Absolutely don't put yourself too far ahead that you could injure yourself or others by being in the way. Many of the half's I've been in the corrals are sectioned by times with rope or something between the corrals - so I'm simply implying get to the front of the assigned corral.

I do realize this is a bit trickier in non-corralled races, however IME those are races that don't have strict cut-off times.