Normal glucose tolerance tests but tiredness after eating

Options
I have had a gtt and my fasting glucose was 4.7 and my post pram dial 2 hour glucose was 4.3 (both within normal ranges from what I understand) but my insulin levels were under the normal range, so were marked as "low". I any work out why this night be (haven't spoken to doctor as obviously my blood glucose results show I'm fine).

My problem is I get extreme tiredness after eating lunch, and doctor suspected pcos (had other symptoms) but the post prandial tiredness is a nightmare, I don't function well in the afternoons, feel grumpy; sleepy and get headaches. Obviously, there is nothing physically wrong, and I choose a "balanced lunch" i.e. granary bread with egg mayo sandwich with yogurt and an apple. So by three pm I am dead on my feet and reaching for any carb I can he my hands on. I do suffer from low mood and probably being a hypochondriac! Any advice on diet or gtt result would e great, thank you.

Replies

• cm246
    cm246 Posts: 12
    Options
    I just started on here last week, but I've been eating healthy and exercising since Feb 1st. I am 46, and need to lose 100 lb at least. I don't know if this will help you, this is just my experience. I always, and I mean always got tired after lunch, and usually went ahead and had a nap, I was grumpy with my family more often than not. I started day 1, eating low carb/high protein, and let me tell you, the difference in the way I feel is amazing. I have 100% more energy, and I feel so happy all the time. I'm never tired during the day anymore, and have even more energy after my walk! For me, I truly believe it is all the sugar, I don't eat bread/pasta/rice/milk, etc and have cut out fruits as well for now, as they are high in natural sugars. Not sure if it is right for you, but do some research on it, (I'm still learning), and see what you think.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I'd look at the carbs as well. Not that you have to cut them out completely, but try having a little less, and/or whole grain etc.
    Barring that: maybe talk to the doctor. Your lunch looks pretty good.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Meal composition can help too. For example if you are eating carbs, include some protein and fat as well.

I know you already said that you eat a "balanced lunch" but we really have no way to know how the macros break down. IMHO the food you listed is not really balanced and carbohydrate would be the dominate macro.
  • surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thank so much for you quick input. I'm suspecting it's the bread.. But there must be only two slices there (albeit quite thick ones- an I don't know if there is sugar in the bread). Oddly (or maybe not oddly) if I have no carbohydrate before bed I can't sleep!!!! So I'm wondering if cutting all carbs during the dayay help?
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If your insulin levels are low, it seems it would still be possible to pass a glucose test at 1, 2, and 3 hours but still have spiked your blood sugar enough immediately following the consumption of the glucose to cause tiredness. Your body may just be slow to deal with it. Were your numbers at 1 hour 'high' but still passing, or within the normal range of 70-120? I am a diabetic, and when my blood sugar spikes post meal I become tired pretty quickly. I would work on not spiking your blood sugar and keeping insulin levels balanced. You can still eat carbs, but pay attention to the Glycemic Index. Wheat spikes the blood sugar more than table sugar. Also, be sure to eat carbs along with protein to slow the metabolism of the sugar. All carbohydrate is converted to sugar once it's in the system. There are lots of informative articles on bodybuilding.com regarding insulin levels and diet/nutrition.
  • surreychic
    Options
    I just started on here last week, but I've been eating healthy and exercising since Feb 1st. I am 46, and need to lose 100 lb at least. I don't know if this will help you, this is just my experience. I always, and I mean always got tired after lunch, and usually went ahead and had a nap, I was grumpy with my family more often than not. I started day 1, eating low carb/high protein, and let me tell you, the difference in the way I feel is amazing. I have 100% more energy, and I feel so happy all the time. I'm never tired during the day anymore, and have even more energy after my walk! For me, I truly believe it is all the sugar, I don't eat bread/pasta/rice/milk, etc and have cut out fruits as well for now, as they are high in natural sugars. Not sure if it is right for you, but do some research on it, (I'm still learning), and see what you think.

Interesting ,
    And you have found your mood has improved? I was acted of lowering carbs during the day incase my mood decreased (I know there is a serotonin theory about carbs. Really encouraged you have had improvement though. What would you have for lunch these days? And have you lost weight?
  • traerjudy
    traerjudy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I, too, had the same problem with tiredness after eating. I also had bloodwork that came back just fine.
    One of the unexpected (for me) perks of doing lowcarb/highfat was the sleepiness I always experienced after
    eating completely disappeared. Don't know the science behind it but I surely don't care. It works.
  • cm246
    cm246 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'll friend request you, and we can message if you'd like..:)
  • surreychic
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all the info!

Marathon Mom, they didn't do my glucose at one hour, just the fasting glucose and two hours post 75g of glucose and my insulin 2hr post glucose. I felt pretty awful during though, i got cold, felt sick, had a headaches and my mood crashed and the tiredness was ridiculous so I was surprised all came back fine. i guess it's a lot of glucose to take in at one time. As I said though, I can honestly say some days I can hardly function in the afternoon, if I was able to sleep I would, all afternoon!

I sometimes find it hard to function after breakfast too, but this is usually, I recognise, due to the composition of my breakfast, if my breakfast hasn't been great in composition-a cappuccino and some dark chocolate - so I'm probably not helping myself at this one. Although when I used to have porridge for breakfast I would feel tired and even more hungry. The afternoon slump is usually more horrendous and of course, I have to work, or look after my little one, and I'm "snappy", "grumpy" or "apathetic" and don't feel like doing anything. I also worry I am completely brain dead, forgetting things, I just can't think well. It usually dissipates around six pm! Sometimes it's so bad though I feel dizzy, it's amazing my results seem so normal. My carb ingest at home are nearly always around three pm or 10.30am - because I'm looking for energy. I also drink coffee at these times, so I appreciate I'm probably creating a vicious cycle.

Cm246- it would be great to hear how you coped, I'm really pleased for you - and selfishly, this provides me with hope. I don't just worry this is affecting my weight as I reach for carbs or caffeine for energy at "slump" time but also I get worried, I'm with a little one and I'm not so "on the ball" and how work haven't sacked me, I don't know!

Many thanks again everyone.
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Maybe an idea for breakfast: healthy, like porridge, but with a little fat? Look up "refrigerator oats" on Google and you'll find some recipes (you make them ahead of time). My simple version is oats, skim milk, chia seeds and some fruit. Cinnamon and vanilla make it more special.
    BUT: I noticed I was hungry after a bit. I have been replacing half of the skim milk with half-fat yogurt; it doesn't add many calories, but man, I notice I'm staying full longer.
    Might be worth trying.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Marathon Mom, they didn't do my glucose at one hour, just the fasting glucose and two hours post 75g of glucose and my insulin 2hr post glucose. I felt pretty awful during though, i got cold, felt sick, had a headaches and my mood crashed and the tiredness was ridiculous so I was surprised all came back fine. i guess it's a lot of glucose to take in at one time. As I said though, I can honestly say some days I can hardly function in the afternoon, if I was able to sleep I would, all afternoon!

I sometimes find it hard to function after breakfast too, but this is usually, I recognise, due to the composition of my breakfast, if my breakfast hasn't been great in composition-a cappuccino and some dark chocolate - so I'm probably not helping myself at this one. Although when I used to have porridge for breakfast I would feel tired and even more hungry. The afternoon slump is usually more horrendous and of course, I have to work, or look after my little one, and I'm "snappy", "grumpy" or "apathetic" and don't feel like doing anything. I also worry I am completely brain dead, forgetting things, I just can't think well. It usually dissipates around six pm! Sometimes it's so bad though I feel dizzy, it's amazing my results seem so normal. My carb ingest at home are nearly always around three pm or 10.30am - because I'm looking for energy. I also drink coffee at these times, so I appreciate I'm probably creating a vicious cycle.

Cm246- it would be great to hear how you coped, I'm really pleased for you - and selfishly, this provides me with hope. I don't just worry this is affecting my weight as I reach for carbs or caffeine for energy at "slump" time but also I get worried, I'm with a little one and I'm not so "on the ball" and how work haven't sacked me, I don't know!

I would be interested to know what your blood sugar is at 1 hour. You may just have to try some different things and find what works. In the long run, it would be better to resolve the issue through diet rather than meds. Everything you mention for breakfast would be higher on the glycemic index, so it would spike your blood sugar. I urge you again to spend some time educating yourself and changing your diet. If you have any questions, I'm happy to help.
  • samijdkl
    samijdkl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    does the tiredness ;last about a hr around 60-90 mins after you eat i find that im a diabetic and @ 1hr post food when i was first dx i could hit the 11 mark but @ 2 hrs could be back under 5 this fast rise and then even faster drop made me feel very ill but if this is the same in you it could well be your first stage insulin does not work as it should but for now your 2nd stage works fine . the first stage should start as soon as first mouth full goes in from stored insulin then 2nd stage comes along and mopes up whats left
  • surreychic
    Options
    Samljdkl, that's useful information! I presumed I was in the all clear (I have no history of diabetes in my immediate family) but as I have said, the tiredness is horrific. I nearly fell asleep whilst driving with my LO in the car a few days ago and that really worried me.

Marathon mum, they didn't take my glucose/insulin levels 1 hr post glucose. As the doctor hasn't called me back as everything is "normal" I admit I almost felt disappointed be causes I wanted a solution, when everyone else eats and gets energy and there's me feeling the opposite. In all seriousness i will do anything to stop it, through lifestyle.

I notice you are obviously called marathon mum, do you watch your carb intake? Sam have you adjusted your diet and/or are you on meds?

Cynthia that sounds a delicious breakfast, thank you for posting that. I have only made porridge with water or skimmed milk, but as I said it still seems to make me "sluggish'.
  • surreychic
    Options
    PS I also meant to say having carbs at night is quite useful for me, they send me straight to sleep!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid function tested? Look up the symptoms of low thyroid and compare yours to the list. I have this issue and a couple of things you mentioned are symptoms of thyroid problems.

Good luck!
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Hey surreychic, that's why I mentioned the "little bit of fat" thing. It slows the absorption of the carbs (so theoretically you don't peak and crash) and keeps you feeling full longer.
    But you may need to keep looking.

If it were me I'd start by looking at the *kind* of carbs I eat: whole grains vs. refined, for example. There's a lot of information on how they work and how they're absorbed. You want slow, not fast. Try that for a few weeks.
    If that doesn't seem to help after a while you might want to try a low carb diet. But I'd do that with a doctor and/or registered dietician.

Carbs in themselves are not "bad" or "good", but you might be more sensitive to them for some reason.

I hope you'll post about how it's going.

Good luck,
    Cynthia
  • clanmcfleming
    clanmcfleming Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Hi OP, I have no medical background at all but your symptoms sound like me when I eat too much wheat based products! I have recently cut down and feel so much better. As I say, its just my experience. Please feel free to friend me if you want and peep at my diary. I cook for 6 kids every day (not all mine, I am a childminder too) and I dont generally do separate meals but try to up the veggies and protein and lose the pasta for my portions. The slow cooker is my friend!!!