"round," is a shape...isn't it?

Options
Hello,
I've been reading Tamishumate's blog - Finally Fit at Forty. I started my weight loss journey last year at 38, stalled a bit, and am now getting my mojo back to continue on. Fighting flab in the name of fitness!! Or to get into a size 6 - depends on the day :wink:

Has anyone been working with intervals? I am loving them - takes the boredom out of cardio.

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I don't do intervals, but I figured I would let you know people are out here in mfp-land. ;)

It is 6:38 (EDT) here on the Eat Coast, USA. I started, no let us say, I successfully started this aspect of my weight loss journey in Feb 2010, and with this site's help--thank you folks--I attained my goal: 142 lbs. In fact, I am 141 right now.
    I am 58yo. I am glad you are trying harder at this at 38yo than I did. Your skin gets less rescilient as you get older and lose the fat that has stretched it for so many years.
    The secret to my success: More water; more fiber (fruits, veggies, whole grains); less fat; and less salt. Plus I walked at least a mile a day.

Best of success in attaining your healthy-life goal! Hugs!! :drinker: (water)
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I also started later in life so wtg at starting younger. Now for the question, what are intervals? I just rejoined a gym yesterday.
  • sharonsds
    Options
    Intervals come in many forms. For example, I am doing mine on the elliptical (crosstrainer). After a warm up I do 30 seconds all out as fast as I can followed by 2 mins recovery pace, then I repeat 6 times for a total of 20 mins.
    You shouldn't be able to any more than 20 mins or you arn't working hard enough. It's a lot more fun than 45 mins plain cardio, and I find it more of a challenge.
    I'm sure someone more experienced/knowledgable can explain the science behind it, but basically I've been told it works because your body burns fat for a longer period of time (like restistance training) than cardio. Doing intervals puts you in an anaerobic state, as opposed to an aerobic state which is the goal of cardio.
    To progress, you either change your intensity level on the machine, or change the times. I'm testing out 1 min on/ 2 mins off this week, eventually to 30/30.
    Hope this helps. :smile:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I do intervals, but not really intentionally. I just let my music go on my ipod and it just seems that every other song is fast paced and gets me pumped so I end up going faster and harder than I would normally. :laugh:

Normally I go about 2.2-2.3 mph on the elliptical but when those certain songs come on I find myself up around 2.8. Not a huge jump but you can really feel it when you end up doing it every couple songs for the entire song.
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ha I love your thread title! My husband constantly said "round is a shape" while I was pregnant.. I do intervals. Majority of my cardio is interval cardio. I love it, I feel like I am actually doing something good for my body while I exercise.