Exercise Too Hard

Options
HELP!!!! I am four days into a four week challenge and I had a little break down today. The break down came from the walk down push-ups and the other exercises where I had to rely on my arms, I have absolutely no strength in my arms (it takes a lot out of me to wash my hair because I have to hold up my arms) so it was very hard to complete the whole 50 secs. I really couldn't do more than four reps and I wasn't even sure I was doing them right and this includes any exercise I have to rely on my arms! Someone told me that if I stop when it starts to feel too hard it doesn't count and will take longer to loose the weight! Is this true? I don't want to feel frustrated...where should I begin?

Also, I am so concerned that my form is not correct (ex. back flat). Does that really mess with the effectiveness. Someone (the same person) told me that my back will get flat eventually (the more flexible I get)...is this true? Or Should I only bend till the point that it is flat? Sometimes my body can't get in the right form because I am out of shape

PLEASE HELP THERE REALLY WAS A FEW TEARS TODAY AND YES I STOPPED THE WORKOUT(yes I know it is not healthy to not include a cool down)...I WILL COMPLETE IT...I DON'T WANT TO BE A QUITTER!!!

Replies

• popshoveit
    Options
    Try starting with wall push-ups. You do a push-up against the wall. It's a lot easier but you're still working out the arms and shoulders. I had to do this for a long time because my carpal tunnel made my wrists hurt too much to support my weight doing normal push-ups.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You do as many reps as you possibly can, next time or the time after you may be able to do one more. Eventually your strength will improve. Stopping your workout completely is not going to help the situation, just keep going and do as much as you can! 'Working out is hard, it will always be hard because you are pushing to improve yourself :)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Darlin, If you give 100% then that's all you can do and the rest will fall into place. Focus on your diet for the long term, give it hell when you workout and you will get to where you want to go.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Please don't stress this much about it. It's OK.

Remember that weight loss is about a calorie deficit: 4 reps vs 6 reps of a particular exercise is not going to make a very big difference right now. Do the best you can. Maybe substitute in an easier variation to build up your strength.

You don't say why you started this challenge. It's great to challenge yourself, but you may want to assess whether this is the right exercise regimen for you, at least starting out. When I started losing weight, the only exercise I did was walking. For many months. As I got leaner I started doing more, and I've got progressively better, stronger and faster.

Sending good thoughts your way.
  • NakiaDM77
    Options
    Thank you....Ironically I started a fitness challenge with my friend as a contest...something we hoped to take very seriously to help lose weight. The day after the start of the contest I was diagnosed with diabetes in the emergency room. So now the contest seems silly and this is my life. The program I use is by Fitness Blender and it is their 4 week challenge for beginners. I am starting to think it may still be too hard and maybe I need to start with just walking but the weather has been so bad. Thanks again for the advice and encouragement.
  • NakiaDM77
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You have the right idea and if you were diagnosed with diabetes then exercise and diet changes are the way to go. There are many modifications to most exercises that you can do. Don't give up! Try exercising for 10 minutes several times a day. That might be easier til you can do more. Good luck. Friend me if you want.