Death, Bariatric Surgery, or MyFitnessPal ??

Options

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    On 7/17/2013 I was 397.6 pounds, with high blood pressure, swelling joints, COPD, and facing Bariatric surgery. I was a time bomb of bad health....Today 2/26/2014, I have lost 111 lbs. Dropped 2 of 3 high blood pressure pills, and am in better health than I’ve been in for a long time.
    Along with the diet, I started to ride a bicycle.....Now I ride 10 to 12 miles a day at blazing speeds and go crazy if the weather or something else makes me miss a day. It helps me lose, keeps me motivated to stay fit and has become an intricate part of MyFitnessPal program.

Congrats on your first 111 pounds of loss! Way to pedal it off!!

Here's to you and your bike chipping off another 80 - 100 this year.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!

This is something I have never understood about people who choose the surgery. Many of them are told they have to lose some weight before the surgery will be safe, and they do that successfully and have the surgery, anyway, claiming they cannot lose weight without it.

I'm glad you chose to do it this way rather than permanently changing your system. I've seen how my friends who have had the surgery are in every day life and it doesn't look fun at all.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good story great choice!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Good job! Very inspiring!
  • annael25
    annael25 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration to me. I am looking to lose over 100 pounds and your story really motivates me to work harder. Congrats on your success -- you're awesome!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    So proud of you!

Surgery may give faster results, I suppose, but i know that earning this without help was what was best for me, and hopefully for you as well.
  • mrsward2010
    mrsward2010 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Brilliant!!! thanks for sharig with us!! xx
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Great job :) Glad you were able to avoid surgery !! Keep up the good work!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    amazing!! thanks for sharing! good for you!
  • bradXdale
    Options
    jubw3q.jpg
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Great job OP, really inspiring! Keep on trucking (biking)!
  • OperationCombat
    Options
    Fantastic story :)
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!!! What an awesome story! Congratulations!
  • mishka45
    mishka45 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great News...Congratulations!!! :smile:
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Woo hoo! Congrats for taking your health into your own hands.
  • Sharoncrdh
    Sharoncrdh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is amazing!

I too was thinking about bariatric surgery. Then I got cold feet. Had my physical with my MD on Monday and told me I was prediabetic, my cholesterol was up, and referred me to a cardiologist to set me up with a harness to check my EKG.
    Huge difference from my physical one year ago. I won't pretend that I'm surprised by any of this news. I felt it coming. I should say I knew it was coming. The hard reality is certain now. For one thing, I don't want to live this way and if I continue the way I'm going, life will be he'll as I age. I'll be 50 in September.

I began my new life change yesterday. Today is my first day on this site. And yours is the first blog I read!
    Continue the great work you have done. It gives me motivation that it can be done!

Thank you!!
  • xPeacefulx
    xPeacefulx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thats Awesome! Congrats!! :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You are proof that it CAN be done, it just takes MORE work. Not that the surgery isn't hard, it's just harder to finally be accountable to yourse
    I come from a big family, literally. My older sister had the surgery and then suffered 3 strokes and is now permanently disabled, but thin. I was kind of jealous that she had lost the weight and was smaller than I, who had been the smallest family member until then. Yeah, sad and selfish of me, I know. Shortly afterwards, I had numbness in my face, went to my 'migraine Dr.', a neurologist and was told that I also, had a small stroke. Luckily, they found out that I had a clotting disorder and put me on blood thinners and blood pressure meds. THAT was my wakeup call.
    I know that we all have to do what works for us to stay alive, but doing it the 'right' way, is the healthiest way. I also believe that getting 'over' whatever issues we have that are making us destroy our bodies, is the first step.
    Again, congrats, I'm proud of you.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you!!!!! Keep going! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!