Tips for the people that sit in an office chair all week

Options
If you sit in an office chair 5 days per week what are some things you do to prevent the dreaded secretary spread ??

I hate it and know its a result of sitting on my butt for many years in an office....

Replies

• Speakaboo
    Speakaboo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I get up every hour, if at all possible. I stretch, then go for a brisk walk around the office. I found an empty floor a few stories higher up, and basically do quick "laps", at break or after I eat lunch. Bonus point for taking the stairs up to the empty floor. ;) I have a webpage bookmarked at work that lists 33 different exercises you can do incognito at your desk. I don't have the bookmark here, but can link it tomorrow.

The sedentary life of an office employee can be difficult to overcome, for sure!
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just bought a mini-stepper to use on my lunch. It just came tonight - very excited to begin using it at work! I also get up and make a bathroom trip/water trip at least once per hour as a previous poster mentioned.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.

Was doing those this morning! Been doing some weight training that includes lots of those! Hope they help! Thx for posting!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I put a mini-stationary bike under my desk. They are made to be used while sitting in a chair. It's not going to replace a full workout but it definitely keeps the circulation going. I use it to wake up, to loosen up my muscles, help manage my fibromyalgia, and for someone like me who is very heavy and trying to lose, it does help you lose when coupled with watching your diet.

I also try to keep from having snacks and finger foods at my desk unless I plan them into my diet, but always have water. Don't generally participate in office food days because people often don't care about what they bring in, and it's temptation city.

My diary demonstrates how much I'm failing right now... We're in the process of moving, all my stuff is packed up and we can't keep stuff in the fridges right now, so I'm eating terribly :(

I also get up and walk around as much as possible, as well as listen to music and "chair dance"
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I just bought a mini-stepper to use on my lunch. It just came tonight - very excited to begin using it at work! I also get up and make a bathroom trip/water trip at least once per hour as a previous poster mentioned.

Depending on what kind you purchased, you can also use it while sitting to keep circulation going.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I workout either at lunch or after work and I maintain a calorie deficit based in my activity level. Seems to be working so far.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I put a mini-stationary bike under my desk. They are made to be used while sitting in a chair. It's not going to replace a full workout but it definitely keeps the circulation going. I use it to wake up, to loosen up my muscles

^^^ I love it .

I also do squats ( but I work alone ) I dance and sing terribly , I do youtube short exercises anytime I am not busy . My work is feast or famine though, like today I have been alone 1.5 hours now ....walk in drug testing when I don't have any occupational health patients .... so I have plenty of time to move around.
  • fatdollar145
    Options
    I do jump rope during my lunch hour and every hour i do some push ups or some dips at my desk.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I try to get up often. Instead of sending something through inter-office mail, I will physically walk it to them. I also walk at lunch.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I work by myself in a very small office, this week I started doing squats whenever I get up and cross the room to scan something or file something. I also try to leave on my lunch as much as possible just to get up and move. If it ever warms up I plan to do some walking at lunch, in fact I ordered a new pair of shoes TODAY so I can keep a pair at the office!

I used to keep snacks at the office, not anymore, I plan my day so that I have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and nothing else. It's too easy to snack out of boredom if there are snacks sitting around.

Office work is hard, you just have to be creative... I love seeing some of these other ideas. I have a spare set of 5 lb dumbbells, I need to take them to my office too!
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I try to get up often. Instead of sending something through inter-office mail, I will physically walk it to them. I also walk at lunch.

^^This. Get up and move. Walk the long way to talk to people or deliver something. Use a bathroom across the building. If you can - walk a quick lap in the morning, lunch, and afternoon.

Move.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I get up every hour, if at all possible. I stretch, then go for a brisk walk around the office. I found an empty floor a few stories higher up, and basically do quick "laps", at break or after I eat lunch. Bonus point for taking the stairs up to the empty floor. ;) I have a webpage bookmarked at work that lists 33 different exercises you can do incognito at your desk. I don't have the bookmark here, but can link it tomorrow.

The sedentary life of an office employee can be difficult to overcome, for sure!

This is what my secretary does. Every hour, on the hour, her reminder would go off and she would do a brief stretch and then walk the 7 flights of stairs in the office. It became such a habit that a few of us, even some vendors, got into it as well.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Well today is your lucky day! I had an ergonomic assessment done on me (which I failed) and I was given a handbook.

Try these exercises! The peekaboo burns more calories than using a mini trampoline!

f9JGmull.jpg
  • Speakaboo
    Speakaboo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here's the link I was talking about:

http://greatist.com/fitness/deskercise-33-ways-exercise-work

I can't believe I never thought to stick a stationary stepper or cycler under my desk! I always seen them for cheap and thought they were silly. That's actually not a bad idea, and now I'll be keeping my eye out for a sale. ;)
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    "Secretary spread"? Is that a thing? lol I have been a secretary for 5 1/2 years and don't have anything like that. I stay active when I'm not working, and I also get up and move around a lot during the day.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of secretary spread. I exercise 5-6 times a week usually before work. Also, having a fitbit has made me realize how little steps I was getting in during the day. So I have made every moment count:

1. I take the stairs instead of the elevators
    2. Make trips to visit co-workers/customers on different floors or a good distance away
    3. I walk in place: at in front of my computer, while microwaving my food, talking to co-workers/customers, washing my hands in the bathroom
    4. Park farther away from the building and shuttles buses

I basically create ways to get moving. It has definitely helped me. Also, I love the desk exercises someone posted.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    My mom works a desk job. These are some of the tips I have given her.

*Sit on a stability ball instead of an office Chair. Or switch it up. Half of the day in office chair other half on stability ball.
    *Walk to co-workers instead of e-mailing/calling
    *Stand up every 45-60 minutes. If it's possible, remaining standing for 10 minutes, If not, stand do some stretches and calf raises.
    *Take the stairs instead of elevator
    *Walk/run the stairs on break
    *Take a walk during breaks
    *Bring your own healthy snacks to have on hand when office temptations come up(It's also ok to indulge from time to time. Everything in moderation)
    *Tricep Dips(Holding edge of your desk)
    *Squats
    *Walk in place while working. For example, when waiting for photocopies, faxes, on the phone, etc
    *If you drive to work, park further away

Good luck!!
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Squats, office yoga, find some stairs and run up and down them for five - ten minutes...there are options. Every time your phone rings, vow to stand while talking. :)
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I do finance so my *kitten* is glued to a computer 8 hours a day.... I go on about a 1/2 mile walk every break I get (twice a day) and I make sure Im doing something on my lunch like walking around the mall or taking a longer walk etc. Lately though, I am sure everyone thinks im crazy because Ive been working out a lot and am constantly sore - I stand up and stretch something about every 20 minutes. I get so stiff if I dont :-(