HRM question

anikab
anikab Posts: 150 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
When you workout, how long after you've finished do you leave your HRM going? I don't think it's fair to leave it on if you're done working out but I also know you continue to burn quickly after a good workout...

Replies

• sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    I turn it off as soon as I am done working out if I remember too.

But that would be nice if you can leave it on longer and still burn calories.. interested to read what other people say/know!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I turn it off right away. For one thing, as you get fit, your HR drops back to a recovery rate fairly quickly. For another, I consider anything outside of a workout to be daily activity and I account for it in my activity level.
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    I definately include "cool down" calories in my numbers...you're heartrate is still elevated and you are still burning calories faster than your resting rate...regardless don't forget to subtract your resting calorie burn rate from your overall calorie burn....
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    i turn it off right away - this is because i know i usually burn twice as many calories the hour following.

Normal for me is right about 100 per hour.

So if I burn 500 cals working out I really only burned 400 EXTRA. But, I know I burn an extra 100 the following hour so I count all 500 from working out, but don't count those I burned later on.

If you leave the watch on longer, you need to subtract your "resting" calories from what you burned.

It is a good idea to reset your watch for the following hour after various exercises to see what it does to your burn count for the following hour. Ie, for Yoga, I subtract my "resting cals" because I don't burn extra the following hour, but for Zumba, I record what the HRM says because i burn more after.

PS, usually my HR is between 120 and 130 when I turn it off. 155-175 is my target zone. My resting HR is more like 77. My walking around doing nothing HR is about 80-105. If i left it on until I was back to 80 I would definitely be sure to record 100 less per hour in my log.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    If I am in a class, I turn it off after the cool down stretches---I let my HR slowly go down. If I am working out on my own---on a machine---I turn it off after I am done cleaning it which is usually not more than a minute after! :)
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    I wait at least 5 minutes, its proven you still burn calories after working out, so I just wait until my heart rate goes down.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    I usually turn it off after my heart rate returns to normal rate
This discussion has been closed.