Beginner

Options
Hello my name is Marcey and I would like some tips on low calorie meals. I also would like some advice on what exercises is effective without gaining muscle. I lost three pounds between Friday and Saturday and have been stuck every sense I try and walk 30 minutes a day, but it seems as if I loose more when I don't walk. Any suggestions?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    With only 17 lb. to lose, set your goal to .5 lb. per week and be patient.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Why do you not want to gain muscle?

A higher lean body mass means you burn more calories at rest. Which means a higher basal metabolic rate which means more calories. More muscle mass means less jiggle.

And how low is your calorie goal
  • marceygates
    Options
    Well I was told that if you gain muscle then that's more weight and I am doing a 1200 calorie diet.
  • marceygates
    Options
    Okay, that's going to be challenging, but thanks. I guess losing some weight is better not losing any.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Well I was told that if you gain muscle then that's more weight and I am doing a 1200 calorie diet.

1lb fat = 1lb muscle = 1lb watermelon.

A pound of fat takes up more space than a pound of muscle.
    So you can have 2 people.
    Person A is 120lbs but 30% bf.
    Person B is 135lbs and 20% bf.
    Person B is going to look smaller and wear smaller clothes than Person because of their higher muscle mass. They are going to jiggle a lot less as well.
  • bradXdale
    Options

That is false and true. The numbers on the scale will not move but you will be visibly thinner because muscle is less dense (smaller) than fat appears.

As a woman you will not get bulky because women do not have enough testosterone to get huge muscles.

Also being strong is good! It opens you to a new world of fitness and you do not have to start heavy, pick up some weights that feel good and provide a nice burn. If you've never used weights before start with a 3 or 5 pound dumb bell and work your way from there!

Best of luck!
  • fitgirldanyel
    fitgirldanyel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have seen more physical change in a month of regular strength training than I have in three months of just counting calories only and doing cardio. I think you will be surprised at how you look and feel with some strength training. Just give it a try :)
  • marceygates
    Options
    Hi thanks I will try the weights and I think what you are saying is true because I notice that I have lost some inches and that things are tightening up, although the scale may not say so. Thanks so much for the advice.
  • marceygates
    Options
    Okay thanks
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bradXdale, I have a ?? for you. I'm just curious, and obviously dumb about this. the women that do really bulk up, like the pro or even semi-pro body builders, how do they get their big muscles? do they take some kind of supplements? or does the prolonged lifting alter their body chemistry or hormones? I know that athletes that exercise a lot can stop their monthly cycles. Is it something along those lines? Just really curious about that. Thnx in advance.
  • marceygates
    Options
    Yes I am sure they take some type of supplement to build up the way they do. Because it doesn't come just naturally as it would for a male.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    they must then. that's the only thing that really makes sense. some of them get so muscle bound, just like guys. thnx. hopefully brad will see this.