Question about caloric deficit

Options
So I am allotted 1550 cals per day by MFP (I eat as clean as the dining hall allows me).
I have always heard that burning 500 calories more than you take in per day will = 1 pound lost per week. My question is; is this number the golden rule? Are deficits under 500 going to bring results? If I stay at 500 or more, I'm usually only getting around 1200 calories, unless I went extra hard at the gym that day and earned my full 500. If anyone can explain, please do!

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, a deficit under 500 calories will bring results. The 500 calorie thing is just an average anyway.

If you burn (through normal activity and just existing) 2050 calories a day, and eat 1550, your deficit is 500. If you do that, plus burn 350 calories through exercise, your deficit is 850. MFP is already calculating your deficit in for you when they give you your calorie goal.
  • amg394
    amg394 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, a deficit under 500 calories will bring results. The 500 calorie thing is just an average anyway.

If you burn (through normal activity and just existing) 2050 calories a day, and eat 1550, your deficit is 500. If you do that, plus burn 350 calories through exercise, your deficit is 850. MFP is already calculating your deficit in for you when they give you your calorie goal.

Oh wow, I never knew this! I have been looking at everything all wrong. So I can eat back the calories I have burned? Wow, this is a revelation haha
  • Str0ng_Heart
    Options
    Bump!
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The number MFP has given you already takes a deficit into account, so if you're eating your allocated 1550, you're eating less than you burn before taking exercise into account. If you told it you wanted to lose a pound a week, then that deficit is already 500.