How to determine mini goals??

iluvwdw
iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello all,

I have been on here for a little over 2 months and have lost over 20 lbs. My question is although I have been averaging about 2 lbs per week event though I set my goals to 1 lb per week. How do you determine your mini goals by a certain date. Do you just pick a number? Or do you just minus the pounds per week and multiply by the number of weeks???

I set a goal of 2 lbs per week on the wii fit and have been reaching that but not sure how you come up with the mini goals months away??

Thanks.

Replies

• xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    I picked mine based on what seemed right (along with guidance from what was happening at that point in my life... I had a date that I wanted to lose 10 lbs by, so I put that as a mini-goal). I find the mini goal works better if you don't do it mathematically--it's more motivating to say "by x date I will lose y pounds", rather than "if I lose z pounds per week, then by x date I can lose y pounds". (Reading over that last sentence, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me... sorry if that's confusing.)

Great job with your loss so far, and keep up the good work!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Alright, I think I can answer you on this one. :) In my signature, I have mini goals set for every 10 pounds, because I just love the feeling of seeing a new, lower "middle" number, If you know what I mean. These don't have any time frames.

As for the Onederland by Christmas, I was thinking that would be the best Christmas present ever. So, to see if it was attainable for not, I counted the weeks until Christmas. Then, multiplied by two because I average about 2 pounds loss per week. Now, I know that it's possible and I'm not setting my goals too high. In fact, if I lose 2 pounds per week just as planned, I should be around 195 at Christmas. :) Good luck to you. Congrats on losing over 20 pounds!!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    I chose not to set my mini goals by dates, but rather by pounds. If you chose dates (ie. 175 by 10/31) then you will be seriously disappointed if your body decides to stall out at 180 for a while and you don't hit that 175 until turkey day, which will make you want to give up. If you do it by weight and say 'screw the dates' it does not matter if you hit a plateau, you will still feel very accomplished when you hit your mini goal. This is my logic and experience, and everyone is different. Some people probably use those dates as a motivational push, it just doesn't work that way for me too well.

I decided when I started my goal was to be 140, right in the middle of my healthy weight range for my body type and height. With my starting weight it made it 84 pounds to lose total, so I broke my mini goals into 20 lb segments and left those last 4 lbs as a big reward for a job well done. I don't have dates to get there by, but I know I will hit each goal eventually and my body is free to lose it how it wants to.

You can see my mini goal - rewards in my sig or my profile if you wanna see what I chose, or if you need ideas for your goals. Pick something a little fun and not something you would normally do for yourself to make it more rewarding imo.
This discussion has been closed.