Rewards??

iluvwdw
iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
A friend mentioned to me that I should set rewards for myself when I reach mini goals. The problem is, I do not have a lot of money right now so am having a hard time thinking up cheap or free rewards for myself that I can look forward to.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks. :bigsmile:

Replies

• gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Some people choose a manicure or a pedicure, earrings. It should be something that makes you feels spoiled that you really want. A bubble bath a new book. Hope this helps:smile:
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    I have seen alot of people choose to go by 1 dollar per pound. I treat myself to a self done mani/pedi every Thursday night a reward for my working hard makes me feel so much better about myself.... Anything you think is special to you can be your reward to
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    If money is an issue, i would turn to treats that are rewarding but dont require much or any money. Like stated previously, a bubble bath would be a great idea, maybe with a glass of wine. For me, i like to set time aside for myself and only myself, without interruptions from others, that's the best treat for me. Or maybe set time aside just for you and your family, no interruptions from work; go on a picnic together, watch the sunset/sunrise, spend time at a food depository or soup kitchen, if that's your thing.

The whole point of rewarding yourself for reaching certain personal goals should be something that genuinely makes you feel good. Money doesn't have to be an issue, and a mistake that a lot of people make is rewarding themselves with things that revolve around food (a cheat meal, fancy dinner, martini night, indulging in your favorite dessert...). You have to train yourself to live this new lifestyle that doesn't revolve around the emotional release that food brings, but to desire the richer pleasures that life has to offer, such as a candle lit bubble bath, the feeling you get from helping others, appreciating the beauty in nature, the list goes on.

I believe in the rewards system myself, because like a great exercise, it really works if you do it right. Once you understand this, thinking up ideas won't be hard at all.

Sorry for the lecture :laugh: Hope this helps and good luck!
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    You could make adjustments to something you already have to buy. Something like buying a different brand of laundry detergent because you really like the smell (even if it's a tad more expensive) or trying a new food or something like that. You could also make different experiences a reward. If you have a friend who owns a kayak or horses, etc., you could pick a new experience (kayaking/horseback riding) as your reward based upon what is available to you through your connections. Or maybe picking something you don't normally do but would like to sometime... like buying a coffee and reading a book at the corner coffee shop. Some of these ideas may seem a little silly, but the point is you could pick low cost experiences that you would like to try but haven't.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    When I first started I needed more WATP DVD's so I bought a new workout dvd every 5 or 10 lbs. I have quite a collection now! :laugh: Then I started dropping in sizes so my rewards became something new/smaller from the consignment or thrift shop. I didn't want to pay full price for something I hopefully wouldn't wear long. Most of my current clothes were bought that way. They also have purses, shoes, jewelry and it's all cheap. I've bought stuff that still had the original price tags.
  • iluvwdw
    When I first started I needed more WATP DVD's so I bought a new workout dvd every 5 or 10 lbs. I have quite a collection now! :laugh: Then I started dropping in sizes so my rewards became something new/smaller from the consignment or thrift shop. I didn't want to pay full price for something I hopefully wouldn't wear long. Most of my current clothes were bought that way. They also have purses, shoes, jewelry and it's all cheap. I've bought stuff that still had the original price tags.

Hopefully that is something I will have to do. :bigsmile:
  • iluvwdw
    All good ideas that you have. Very true about the food/reward thing. That is totally me. Now, not so much. I look at it as a treat, not a reward.

I have been wanting a few books and to go to a movie, so maybe one of those will work.

Keep em coming if you have more ideas! Thanks.
  • iluvwdw
    Ok so I was gonna wait till I reached 25 lbs. but decided that I should at least reward myself for the 22 I've already lost. :) Soooo I splurged and bought a book for a whopping 750!! LOL

At least it's something, right?? It made me feel good and it wasn't food.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    A book is an excellent reward. A good way to relax and chill out! Congratulations!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    A couple of towns over a lot of the Nascar drivers and NFL/NBA players have their homes. Sooooo... last time I lost weight I headed over to the Goodwill there and bought "reward clothes". Not to be mean but their wives totally waste money and buy whole wardrobes every year then donate and get more the next year. So I've gotten AMAZING clothes, hardly ever warn and some with tags on. Every 10 pounds is a size so it was the perfect reward.

:D

at $3 a pair of jeans it was a cheap reward too
  • iluvwdw
    I know I will start to need clothes. Unfortunately all my clothes are either stretchy or too tight LOL So I haven't needed to buy new clothes YET. Hopefully I will soon. I wear a lot of yoga capris that are not falling off me yet but once winter hits I will need new clothes!
This discussion has been closed.