How to measure meat ?

Options
I don't eat meat very often & when I do it's usually a pre-packaged turkey burger. So I always get confused when i do make steak or chicken, on how to measure it. Do I weigh it before or after cooking? And how do u pick the right nutritional info from the database? Chicken is pretty straight forward because there is either chicken breast, bone in, bone out, thigh, wing or whatever. Buy steak has so many variations... How do I pick the right one? The calorie content for the same cut of steak varies so much depending on which nutritional post u look at. I just never know what to do so I end up going for a middle number between the highest calorie & the lowest. Thanks for any tips.

Replies

• authentic1
    authentic1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a question? How do you get to responses without posting a reply?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've just entered information a minute ago for beef I've just had and have the same problem with finding accurate info. I don't know an awful lot about the different types but if it doesn't say on the package then I would look online in google etc for the nutritional informational as I find this is far more accurate than MFP's database and consistent through different sites.

You can weigh the amount you're eating before it's cooked, most per 100g information is done on this anyway, and if it isn't it would tell you "per 100g cooked" in which case you can weigh afterwards. Or if that sounds too much hassle you can just estimate the amount you use based on the total weight which is what I usually do.
    Iff there are still differences in calories for the same type of steak, I will always pick the highest, that way I know I haven't gone over on my goal, and if I'm more under then that's an added bonus! :D