MY PERIOD IS RUINING MY PROGRESS

Options

Replies

• Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. No... I have severe issues with my cycle and am facing a hysterectomy.. I am even on hormone supplements to help regulate some of the issues I have been having.
    Still having my period, on hormones and I have managed to lose 8 pounds in a month and 7.75 inches off of my frame.
    It is discipline. Calculate your deficit, your macros and stick to it. I plan smaller meals and more snacks so I am literally eating every couple of hours. And drink more water.

Plan ahead. You know your body better than anyone else. If cravings are normal for you, pre plan your meals and snacks or the following day within your macros and deficit. That way you don't have to worry about if you are over eating. You don't have to eat "meals" You can literally snack at will.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    It's normal to be hungrier when you are menstruating. I'd suggest eating at maintenance during that time.

You didn't provide much information… What are your goals? How old are you? How tall are you? What is your weight? How many calories are you currently consuming? Your diary isn't visible. Can you please open it?
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't worry much about making progress when I feel my period coming on, but I try not to eat more than what I need to to maintain. This is largely because I'm also still breastfeeding my kid and during my period my milk supply decreases and I definitely don't want to make that any worse.

This is a hard one because it's so different for everyone. One option might be for you plan to eat more when you have your period and then make up the deficit the rest of the time, but this will only work if you're reasonable with your deficit to begin with. It will not work if you decide to go to 1000 calories the rest of the month to make up for you "overeating" by 300-400 calories the rest of the month. It's essential that you have a good handle on what's good for you and what you need to eat to survive.

Good luck.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    YOU are ruining your progress. No blame game, no excuses. It's all YOU.

You think no one else gets their period? Well, we do. We get it and it sucks and it makes us cranky and hungry too. But we suck it up and we stick to our plans. It's called willpower. You either have it or you don't. It's a choice. Make it.

It's a period, not the apocalypse. You're going to get one every month for almost the rest of your life. Get used to it. Manage it.

Try allowing yourself 500 extra calories during that time. Double down on vitamins as you are losing most of them. Especially iron.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Overeating (which it doesn't even sound like you did) is absolutely fine to do when you have you period. Personally I indulge at those times because it helps me not want to stab people to death. Then everyone wins :-)

It's what you do for the rest of the month will make the most difference. Eating more for dinner will help with satiety. Good luck!

Ummmm.....this can be really taken out of context.

"Overeating" can make the difference between not losing at all or gaining. Getting into this habit could potentially cause you start feeling like you're spinning your wheels.

Also, as SunofaBeach mentioned.....how do you know you're hungry because of your period and not because you haven't eaten enough?

I thought it was clear I mean overeating when you have your period...? So just to explain: overeating once a month won't make the difference unless you are *massively* overeating, which it didn't sound like the OP was. And since I was providing advice specific to this situation, not in general, I stand by my comment.

But generally speaking? I think in most cases, if someone has a blow-out once a month it actually won't "make the difference". What you do on 12 days of the year doesn't magically erase what happens on the other 353 days.

It's totally fine for you to stand by your comment....what I said was that it can be taken out of context. For those of us who have been at this awhile, we know what you meant, but there are MANY newcomers to the forums that are maybe new to this whole lifestyle or "dieting" and *could* take your comment out of context and then be posting another thread in a short bit asking why they are gaining. I'm not sure if you have been on the forums before, or if you are newer and your 100+ posts are accurate, but this is a very common occurrence around these parts.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I had half of a large meat lovers pizza for dinner tonight. For anyone wondering, no, it did not fit my macros/calories.
    My brain said no, but my uterus said "yes please, and add some olives".

Does anyone know if it's okay to freeze pizza? I doubt i'll feel like eating the other half tomorrow.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat at maintenance around my period because I am hungry. I eat more protein and exercise (exercise helps me with the cramps and mood swings) and don't worry about it.

This. I do this & still lose weight the week of my period, I just work out a little harder. Like I'll usually jog another mile or 1.5 miles that week. Don't be so hard on yourself.

^^What I was going to say too... Today is a prime example (day 1 of not being pregnant lol)
    Im 1000 cals over. Tomorrow I'm going to reign that in by a bit more than half cuz I certainly cant keep that up. I definitely notice I crave more protein kinds of foods (cheese, chocolate, ice cream, nuts) so I try and make healthier protein choices. Making sure you get exercise, making wise food choices and eating at a reasonable level (ie maintenance) and indulging in a treat or two will help you get through the month
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    increase your protein intake during your peroid. I have PCOS and so lets just say my periods are horrible and last long periods of time. I have found that by increasing my protein this has done two things, one helped with energy and two helped with not feeling hungry all the time. Protein actually helps stabilize your blood sugar which is one reason why it helps with the full feeling. Also helps with building iron back into the system (depending on the protein you eat)
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    You've barely eaten and yet you're hungry because of your period?

I'm also curious about your diary.

I am too, actually.
  • Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've been having my period for almost 20 years now and I have no idea what you're talking about. I have never noticed a correlation between it and wanting to scarf everything in sight. Yes, I gain a little bit of water weight which makes me look bloated and puts a couple pounds on the scale...but it doesn't make me crave massive amounts of junk food.
  • gettingsexy94
    gettingsexy94 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hey :D
    I read somewhere that due to hormonal changes you should be stronger during ur period.
    So you would be able to train more and lift heavier weights than usual.
    During ur time of the month ur body will function more like that of a guy, so you should be able to do more :D

Anyway, as long as you don't do exercises like handstands and stuff, you should be able to get through your period easily, and without mood swings :D

So, chill and have fun!

Besides you get to be as strong as a GUY when you have your period.
    So, imo, guy strength vs period crappiness, guy strength is gonna win everytime :P

PS: It's okay to eat more :) So long as you eat healthily ;)

xoxo
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've been having my period for almost 20 years now and I have no idea what you're talking about. I have never noticed a correlation between it and wanting to scarf everything in sight. Yes, I gain a little bit of water weight which makes me look bloated and puts a couple pounds on the scale...but it doesn't make me crave massive amounts of junk food.

this can vary from person to person depending on length and flow of the period. As an individual with PCOS mine are bad and I do notice a correlation in wanting to eat more when on my period............my body's way of saying hey I am losing way to much iron and nutrition to build it back up, thus why I find more protein to be helpful
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It's totally fine for you to stand by your comment....what I said was that it can be taken out of context. For those of us who have been at this awhile, we know what you meant, but there are MANY newcomers to the forums that are maybe new to this whole lifestyle or "dieting" and *could* take your comment out of context and then be posting another thread in a short bit asking why they are gaining. I'm not sure if you have been on the forums before, or if you are newer and your 100+ posts are accurate, but this is a very common occurrence around these parts.

Yeah I appreciate other people can read things and take it out of context. I also know this is very common with dieting and fitness advice, and it is even more common with advice handed out on the internet. I generally try and be careful of this, but I still think there is still a time and a place to provide specific/tailored advice that doesn't apply to all situations.

I apologise for not being clear enough when I made my first comment (unfortunately I can't edit it any more). My reading of the initial question is that j34lr was unduly restricting their diet and feeling disproportionately anxious about it (threads like this are also extremely common!). I was attempting to provide reassurance that a) you don't need to overly restrict yourself to reach your goals b) a "slip up" won't ruin everything, especially if this "slip up" is happening once a month.
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Yeah I appreciate other people can read things and take it out of context. I also know this is very common with dieting and fitness advice, and it is even more common with advice handed out on the internet. I generally try and be careful of this, but I still think there is still a time and a place to provide specific/tailored advice that doesn't apply to all situations.

I apologise for not being clear enough when I made my first comment (unfortunately I can't edit it any more). My reading of the initial question is that j34lr was unduly restricting their diet and feeling disproportionately anxious about it (threads like this are also extremely common!). I was attempting to provide reassurance that a) you don't need to overly restrict yourself to reach your goals b) a "slip up" won't ruin everything, especially if this "slip up" is happening once a month.

I think we are in the same chapter, just different pages lol :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options
    I think we are in the same chapter, just different pages lol :flowerforyou: :drinker:

:flowerforyou:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

this can vary from person to person depending on length and flow of the period. As an individual with PCOS mine are bad and I do notice a correlation in wanting to eat more when on my period............my body's way of saying hey I am losing way to much iron and nutrition to build it back up, thus why I find more protein to be helpful

Yes, every woman is different and the fact that I have seen this topic turn up more times than I can count, suggests that cravings during that time of the month are more the norm, rather than the exception. It is all down to how people deal with them. I myself have always experienced insane cravings for 2-3 days in the time before I start. Usually for cream, ice cream, pizza, cake. Sometimes I give in, other times I manage to tide myself over with low calorie hot chocolate, 81% dark chocolate, Greek yoghurt, oatmeal and nuts. I have had some of my worst binges prior to starting my period... which I prefer to forget. fortunately, I workout pretty hard and my metabolism seems to be fairly efficient. Unfortunately, all that junk never does a body good so it is a pattern best avoided.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I had half of a large meat lovers pizza for dinner tonight. For anyone wondering, no, it did not fit my macros/calories.
    My brain said no, but my uterus said "yes please, and add some olives".

Does anyone know if it's okay to freeze pizza? I doubt i'll feel like eating the other half tomorrow.

Never tried but should freeze great, since tey do sell it frozen too... Bread freezes beautifully so I think pizza is no exception.

OP disappeared... It seems to me it was just another "Call for reassurance" thread but the sheer diminutiveness of what she said she ate that day is what worries me.
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    - Find out what you are craving. Is it sweet food, is it savoury, is it carbs?
    - Try to satisfy cravings with healthier food. I used to eat so much chocolate during my period, but now I buy fruit instead, pretty or fancy fruits that are a little more expensive so I don't indulge in them normally.
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options

Around my period sweet things doesn't taste as sweet to me, I would add extra sugar to my tea to get the same taste. I used to love to eat chocolate during that time, but I've started eating bananas instead which works the same for me.