Lifestyle maintainence question

Options
I recently start the atkins diet (3 days ago) and have lost nearly a kg so far (water weight, I am told), and I need to plan ahead before I get too invested in this diet.
I've heard a lot of things about people gaining it all back because they return to their past eating habits, and have decided that I am in it for good. However, I need a bit of help.

I have planned out that after maybe 7 weeks on atkins, or however long it takes for me to get to a comfortable weight, that I will slowly increase my carbs by 5 - 8g per week. I will do this until I am taking in around 50g carbs a day again. Now here is the thing I need opinions on-
If I am to do this I would like to have 50g carbs and 1200-1500 calories a day for 6 days, then every friday have a cheat day of 100g carbs+. I will probably consume around 2000-2500 calories on this cheat day as well. If I do this every week for say two years, will I gain back any weight? I will also walk for an hour a night every night. Will I gain or maintain?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    There are way too many factors related to weight loss and maintenance to be able to predict. However, my philosophy in developing a food plan was always "never do today what I am not willing to do for the rest of my life." Doing one thing to lose weight this is only temporary is a sure-fire way to yo yo.

I actually know a ton of people who lost massive amounts of weight on Atkins in the 90's. Most of them are severely overweight today. They were at their goal weight for about 5 minutes before they couldn't take it any more.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This sounds really complicated. Why not just scrap the Atkins nonsense and eat right from the beginning?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    As long as you find out what your maintenance calories is, and your weekly calorie intake does not exceed your weekly maintenance calorie burn, then you won't gain it back. Also, on low carb diets like that, the "cheat day" you mentioned is usually referred to as a "re-feed day" just for future reference. For weight loss, all that matters is calorie intake, if you prefer to do the low carb route, then that's perfectly fine, just understand that there are other ways, and in my opinion, much easier ways, that you will be more likely to stick to, but I do wish you the best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Why did you decide to go with Atkins rather than just lower calories?
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    There are way too many factors related to weight loss and maintenance to be able to predict. However, my philosophy in developing a food plan was always "never do today what I am not willing to do for the rest of my life." Doing one thing to lose weight this is only temporary is a sure-fire way to yo yo.

I actually know a ton of people who lost massive amounts of weight on Atkins in the 90's. Most of them are severely overweight today. They were at their goal weight for about 5 minutes before they couldn't take it any more.

Yup. I couldn't agree more. Hubby and I were on Atkins due to hubby's doctor suggestion. We both lost a lot of weight. But it was terribly restrictive and was depressing. Finally, someone on a TV show explained that whenever you restrict certain food categories from your diet, you will lose weight because you want less of the food you are allowed. Then when you are off the diet, you think you can eat all you want. It is best in the long term to relearn how and what to eat for a healthy body. Focus on health and not weight loss. Study and read everything you can, while keeping a skeptical, open mind.
  • kawyki
    Options
    I'm not ditching the atkins 'nonsense' because I know so many people who have lost a lot of weight on it & it is much healthier than the types of restrictive diets I was doing before - this diet is completely guilt free & I've loved it for the past three days, even though the first week or so is supposed to be extremely hard, which I haven't found the case at all.

And it's not complicated at all, I mean, it's like the 6:1 diet except you're dieting 6 days then eating whatever you like on the 7th - I did it for a bit but my weight was fluctuating so much at the time that it was impossible to tell whether I was losing, gaining or maintaining.

Please, I don't want to be lectured on the fact that 'atkins diet is so bad for you, you gain it all back' and all of that, because this is a big step up from the stuff I used to do, please understand that. I would just like some answers as to whether eating unhealthily one day of the week will make you put on weight. By unhealthily I mean, say a normal healthy breakfast, lunch reasonably healthy with maybe a biscuit or something tasty, dinner pretty unhealthy, like turkish wraps, and then dessert (which i never have except on cheat days). Will this help determine answers?

edit: also, I'm not the type of person who thinks they can eat all they want, trust me! I don't think I ever will be again after a giant weight gain a couple years back.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I'm not ditching the atkins 'nonsense' because I know so many people who have lost a lot of weight on it & it is much healthier than the types of restrictive diets I was doing before - this diet is completely guilt free & I've loved it for the past three days, even though the first week or so is supposed to be extremely hard, which I haven't found the case at all.

And it's not complicated at all, I mean, it's like the 6:1 diet except you're dieting 6 days then eating whatever you like on the 7th - I did it for a bit but my weight was fluctuating so much at the time that it was impossible to tell whether I was losing, gaining or maintaining.

Please, I don't want to be lectured on the fact that 'atkins diet is so bad for you, you gain it all back' and all of that, because this is a big step up from the stuff I used to do, please understand that. I would just like some answers as to whether eating unhealthily one day of the week will make you put on weight. By unhealthily I mean, say a normal healthy breakfast, lunch reasonably healthy with maybe a biscuit or something tasty, dinner pretty unhealthy, like turkish wraps, and then dessert (which i never have except on cheat days). Will this help determine answers?

edit: also, I'm not the type of person who thinks they can eat all they want, trust me! I don't think I ever will be again after a giant weight gain a couple years back.

Just because Atkins is a big step up from what you did before, doesn't mean it's the best way, but like I said before if you'd prefer to go the low carb route, then by all means go for it.

In terms of your "unhealthy day", it doesn't matter which meals are high in calorie intake, or how many meals you have, all that matters is total calorie intake for that day, and in the long term, total weekly calorie intake vs your weekly calories burned.
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love how you've been on a diet for like a hot second (3 whole days) and have the huevos to dismiss the sound advice of multiple people who have been successfully losing on mfp for 1.5 years and more. Why would anyone give you advice?
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I love how you've been on a diet for like a hot second (3 whole days) and have the huevos to dismiss the sound advice of multiple people who have been successfully losing on mfp for 1.5 years and more. Why would anyone give you advice?

v3oz2q.gif
  • kawyki
    Options
    look, I'm not trying to be dismissive, I swear. I'm not trying to sound like a cow or anything, I'm really not but I've actually been dieting for 2 years now, and the reason I'm asking this question is because I would lose so much weight and then I wouldn't have a clue what to do and I'd gain it all back, nothing more, nothing less. I just really need some help with the maintaining, but I would like to stick to the atkins because it is the only thing that requires you to eat an actual healthy amount of calories I've done so far without guilt, please, I'm not demanding advice as a stuck up snob, I'm just asking for it as someone who is terrified of putting on weight.

And thank you AJ_G I will remember that. I guess that's it then, I won't be getting more advice, I'm sorry if I sounded rude or anything, I really didn't mean to. thanks anyways
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What you're describing is yo-yo dieting (diet / relapse / diet / relapse) and what the thread is gently trying to tell you is to change your focus and your habits and you are less likely to bounce back.

A restrictive, time-based diet like Atkins may help you lose weight quickly, but it doesn't change your eating habits or fitness. And if the first thing you do when going off Atkins is to put the weight back on by dropping into bad habits, then you're going to be going up and down in weight for a long, long time.

A maintained calorie deficit through portion control, accountability and exercise has better long-term effect than Atkins because it changes the way that you think, exercise and eat. When you get to goal weight, it's easier to transition into an ongoing / maintenance mode because you're already doing it.

I don't know how you'll deal with guilt, it's part of the accountability journey.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    What you're describing is yo-yo dieting (diet / relapse / diet / relapse) and what the thread is gently trying to tell you is to change your focus and your habits and you are less likely to bounce back.

A restrictive, time-based diet like Atkins may help you lose weight quickly, but it doesn't change your eating habits or fitness. And if the first thing you do when going off Atkins is to put the weight back on by dropping into bad habits, then you're going to be going up and down in weight for a long, long time.

A maintained calorie deficit through portion control, accountability and exercise has better long-term effect than Atkins because it changes the way that you think, exercise and eat. When you get to goal weight, it's easier to transition into an ongoing / maintenance mode because you're already doing it.

I don't know how you'll deal with guilt, it's part of the accountability journey.

^ Very elegant explanation
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    This sounds really complicated. Why not just scrap the Atkins nonsense and eat right from the beginning?

This. Adhere to a calorie deficit and you'll be fine. Forget the fad diet stuff.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

LOL …how confusing…

ditching restrictive diet for another restrictive diet, but does not want advice on an alternate way to do things that would lead to longer term success..

OP - here is my advice that you will not listen to….

Eat in a 500 calorie per day deficit
    set your macro percentages to 40% protein/30% carbs/30% fats
    follow the 80/20 rule 80% healthy, 20% whatever ou want = ice cream cookies, cake, etc
    work out/exercise more (if you want)
    do not restrict any foods….

good luck to you ...
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Snap! +1!
  • kawyki
    Options
    okay, thank you all. I will stop with the atkins, and go onto a simple clean eating diet. It may not provide me with weightloss as quick as atkins, but from what you describe, it won't come back as easy. thanks again, I really appreciate it!
  • AJ_G
    Options
    okay, thank you all. I will stop with the atkins, and go onto a simple clean eating diet. It may not provide me with weightloss as quick as atkins, but from what you describe, it won't come back as easy. thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Nobody said you had to "eat clean". "Clean eating" is also a restrictive diet. All you need to do is eat a moderate calorie deficit every day (eat about 15% - 20% less calories than you burn). Generally, the faster you lose the weight, the higher the chance that you will put it back on so just be patient and eat whatever you want that fits into your diary goals (calories, fats, proteins, carbs).
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to lose weight in a way that is acceptable enough to you that you can maintain it for a lifetime. Unless you plan to completely cut carbs or non-"clean" foods from your life, I recommend the "everything in moderation" philosophy. Treat your calorie allowance as a bank account, and spend as you like. Nothing is off-limits, but you will learn that most of the time you'd rather have foods that satisfy longer than a quick fix sugar rush that leads to hunger sooner, so you'll find yourself changing your habits to cut out very low value foods in favor of more satisfying foods to save budget for the things you really love.

I've been maintaining for about 2 years at about 6 pounds less than my original goal weight, and I have ice cream EVERY night and french fries a couple of times per week because I love them and found a way to "save" calories in other ways to fit them into my budget.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do Atkins, why not actually do Atkins?

Like most, you're assuming the two week induction period is the diet. It's not. Atkins is not a no carb eating plan. You're suppose to slowly introduce carbs back in as time, and weight loss, ware on until you reach a point of control that does not send you rebounding.

Also, keep in mind, it's not the best plan for everyone. Me personally I loved the way I felt, and looked, on it. Even though I allow any food into my diet now, and keep a deficit from IFing, still a good 70% or more of my diet is comprised of lower carb foods because I just love eating that way as a base. If it wasn't for my enjoyment of desserts I would be fine going the rest of my life without higher carb foods like bread, pizza, and pasta. Those foods I eat only on occasion, but not because I "can't:" have them, but because I don't crave them often. Lower carb is wonderful for my natural inclinations. But it's a HORRIBLE way of eating for people who are huge carb lovers who spend their entire time dreaming off pasta, bread, pizza, and whatever. If your plan is to not actually eat at least somewhat lower carb for the rest of your life, and you're not low carbing for health reasons like diabetes, it's probably best you skip LCing and go straight into a plan that resembles better how you plan on eating in the long run.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Generally, the faster you lose the weight, the higher the chance that you will put it back on

This is a myth. A common dieting myth, but a myth none the less. In fact there are a few studies out there that tested slower and faster weight losers, and the faster losers kept the weight off for longer.

I've lost fast and I've lost slow. The rate of regain was never affected by the rate of weight loss.

There is no advantage to slower weight loss. Rate of loss is far less important than a solid maintenance plan. As real life and study after study bear out, plenty of people have regained their weight after slow weight loss. Most people, regardless of rate of loss, regain their weight back.