College & drinking?

Options
Hi everyone :)

So, I've been on a good path of eating healthy and working out. The only thing is that after a long week of studying and school work, I need to go out and have drinks to relax and have fun (senior in college, drinking with roommates and going out to the bars, etc). Also-I've done MFP multiple times throughout college with success, but I cut out a lot of drinking during those times.

What is the healthiest way to go about this while also sticking to my plan? We usually pre game at our place and then go to the bars, so any drink suggestions for either would be great! And yes, I want to get buzzed/drunk doing so and no, I'm not going to completely cut out drinking, that will be after graduation haha.

Thanks!
(feel free to add me too!)

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    As far as drink suggestions, stay away from "girly drinks" that have tons of sugar in them. Besides that, there's not that big of a difference between hard alcohol and beer. It's the actual alcohol that contains the calories. Alcohol has calories but doesn't provide any positive nutritional content to your body, so if you've eaten your regular calorie intake and then drink that night, you will go over your calories. Just make sure you fit your drinks into your diary, or if you know you're going to go over one night, eat less the day before and after to compensate.
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    thanks! i usually work out a little extra on days i know i'll be drinking
  • AJ_G
    Options
    thanks! i usually work out a little extra on days i know i'll be drinking

^ Yea can't believe I forgot to mention that, burning extra calories through cardio on that day will definitely be helpful
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. You do not "need" to drink.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Buy Skinnygirl or just don't drink. I've gone 20 years without a sip of alcohol and I'm doing just fine without it.

ETA: http://skinnygirlcocktails.com/lpa
  • AJ_G
    Options

She's in college...lighten up
  • jackieomara
    Options

ok. i want to. i meant "need" loosely considering i mentioned being stressed out all week.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Here's some more info for you on drinks: I don't know what you like so I'll just list a bunch!

Rum and Diet Coke (8 oz): 100 cals
    Mike's Hard Lemonade (11 oz): 98 cals
    Vodka and tonic (8 oz): 200 cals
    Screwdriver (8 oz): 190 cals
    Champagne (5oz): 106-120 cals
    White wine (5 oz): 120 cals
    Red wine (5 oz):120 cals
    Bloody Mary (5 oz): 118 cals
    Martini (2.5 oz): 160 cals
    Green apple martini: 148 cals
    Margarita (8 oz): 200 cals
    Cosmo (4 oz): 200 cals
    Long Island iced tea (8 oz): 780 cals
  • bny906
    bny906 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Like AJ_G said, if you know in advance that you'll be drinking Friday or whatever, just plan accordingly. Do that extra 20 minutes of cardio and try to lighten up your calorie load the day after. Keep in mind that if you're going to be getting buzzed, you're probably going to want to eat some snacks. Bar food is so delicious, but pretty terrible for you. Have fun, but be aware the calorie count may be monstrous.

I am of the opinion that everybody needs a cheat day every now and then to be successful. You're much more likely to stick to a healthier lifestyle if you know that you have some freedom to have the "bad" foods you want every once in a while.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jack daniels, on the rocks, splash of diet coke - 100 calorie per one ounce pour…no carbs too..

vodak is about 100 calories per serving…

beer is usually what gets me ..I can slug down 10 bud lights no problem but that is like 1200 calories…whoops...
  • smand2000
    Options
    Everyone has their own priorities at different stages of their lives. If going out for drinks is important to you, and not a health or work problem, enjoy! I switched from beer to vodka soda lime (not tonic, as there are way more calories), or whiskey/bourbon with some ice. Plenty of water in between (usually soda water with lime, helps hydrate and prevent hangovers and delays the frequency of drinks).

Beer is fine, but depending on the type there can be more calories per equivalent alcohol serving (I like my craft stouts and porters) ... The typical craft beer is in the mid hundreds per 12 ounces, while some of my personal favorites break 200 or more ... Add up four or five of those, and it's a substantial difference. Also, obviously, beer is just more filling/bloating than an equivalent spirit ...

Of course, ymmv ...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

ok. i want to. i meant "need" loosely considering i mentioned being stressed out all week.

Everyone else got it

Just drink simple drinks (beer, liquor, wine rather than the fru frus) and moderate your intake
  • jackieomara
    Options
    thanks everyone!!
    Here's some more info for you on drinks: I don't know what you like so I'll just list a bunch!

perfect!! thank you! omg, yikes @ the long islands.
    Everyone has their own priorities at different stages of their lives. If going out for drinks is important to you, and not a health or work problem, enjoy! I switched from beer to vodka soda lime (not tonic, as there are way more calories), or whiskey/bourbon with some ice. Plenty of water in between (usually soda water with lime, helps hydrate and prevent hangovers and delays the frequency of drinks).

Beer is fine, but depending on the type there can be more calories per equivalent alcohol serving (I like my craft stouts and porters) ... The typical craft beer is in the mid hundreds per 12 ounces, while some of my personal favorites break 200 or more ... Add up four or five of those, and it's a substantial difference. Also, obviously, beer is just more filling/bloating than an equivalent spirit ...

Of course, ymmv ...

thank you!! yessss, i normally drink water in between drinks at the bars just for the hangover issue hahaha.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    thanks everyone!!

perfect!! thank you! omg, yikes @ the long islands.

Of course, ymmv ...

thank you!! yessss, i normally drink water in between drinks at the bars just for the hangover issue hahaha.

My eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw how many calories were in them! Stay away haha :tongue:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

WTF long island iced tea are you drinking? The highest calorie one I've seen in 500 calories at TGIF for 12 ounces.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I go for vodka with sugar-free redbull. Basically, your best bet is going with hard liquor mixed with diet pop, or other sugar-free stuff.
    Stay away from the sugary, girly mixed drinks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I go for vodka with sugar-free redbull. Basically, your best bet is going with hard liquor mixed with diet pop, or other sugar-free stuff.
    Stay away from the sugary, girly mixed drinks.

yea, they make you sick, give you a nasty hangover, and have a crap ton of calories in them...
  • caffeinatedbookworm
    Options
    Hey! I totally empathize with this post, drinking is DEFINITELY my biggest downfall. I would give it up but...it is honestly so hard to be social without getting drunk. But anyways, I usually like beer (from cans/bottles) because of the portion control. Also when I'm at a bar I always order a vodka soda. If it's too bitter for you, ask for some extra lemon slices. Sometimes I'll have a glass or two of wine if I'm staying in with my friends. I also like doing tequila shots (I try to stick to 2-3) because if you just use lime and salt to chase, I don't need any sugary chasers like juice. I also second the vodka + sugar-free Red Bull thing!

Good luck!
  • jackieomara
    Options
    Hey! I totally empathize with this post, drinking is DEFINITELY my biggest downfall. I would give it up but...it is honestly so hard to be social without getting drunk. But anyways, I usually like beer (from cans/bottles) because of the portion control. Also when I'm at a bar I always order a vodka soda. If it's too bitter for you, ask for some extra lemon slices. Sometimes I'll have a glass or two of wine if I'm staying in with my friends. I also like doing tequila shots (I try to stick to 2-3) because if you just use lime and salt to chase, I don't need any sugary chasers like juice. I also second the vodka + sugar-free Red Bull thing!

Good luck!

perfect, thank you!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

So, I've been on a good path of eating healthy and working out. The only thing is that after a long week of studying and school work, I need to go out and have drinks to relax and have fun (senior in college, drinking with roommates and going out to the bars, etc). Also-I've done MFP multiple times throughout college with success, but I cut out a lot of drinking during those times.

What is the healthiest way to go about this while also sticking to my plan? We usually pre game at our place and then go to the bars, so any drink suggestions for either would be great! And yes, I want to get buzzed/drunk doing so and no, I'm not going to completely cut out drinking, that will be after graduation haha.

Thanks!
    (feel free to add me too!)

you don't NEED to go to a bar and drink. you want to.

i'm not saying you have to stay home and abstain from drinking. i like to have a drink or two myself. but a while back, i learned to not blow off steam like that.

make working out the way you relax. seriously, a good work out lets out all those good endorphins, and you can then go out and drink without any type of guilt or thinking "ugh, more time at the gym tomorrow."

and if you think you'll stop drinking when you finish college and fully enter the workforce, lol, good luck!