Sudden significant weight gain

Options
This AM I weighed myself 5 times because I just knew it was wrong, suddenly I have gained 7 lbs. I have been staying withing my calories and working out, I have went over on sodium a few days, and last Sunday & Monday I was sick w/ a stomach virus to didn't eat much those days. Anyone have any insight on what would cause a gain like that or suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? My diary is open if anyone cares to look.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates day to day (and throughout the day). Don't panic! Just keep doing what you're doing.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Probably water.

Sodium will cause water retention. Ovulation and Period also can cause water retention. Also, while you had your stomach virus, you probably lost water (and if you weighed then, your weight would have been less than today), and since you recovered, the water has replenished.

Point being, there's alot of different factors like that that are beyond your control. It's not that you're doing anything wrong. Give it time to resolve and the weight will begin going back down.
  • Marcus_Anthony
    Marcus_Anthony Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium! Same thing happened to me....
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Whenever that happens to me, its usually water weight in my stomach. And its during ovulation and menstruation. Are you about to have your period soon?
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't panic or get stressed like i did last night and ended up eating over 1000kcal of junk out of frustration.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Water, no question. It will likely take a while to go, but drink lots of water and it will go.
  • sjones215
    sjones215 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 6 yrs ago so not menstrual so probably water retention then from the extra sodium and maybe the dehydration of being sick........panic over.........lol