What am I doing wrong? Advice needed!

Hi all! I feel like I'm doing everything right and I'm just not losing!! Below is what I'm currently doing, and if anyone has ANY tips-- I'd so appreciate them!!

-Working out: 4-5x weekly, at least 45 min. of cardio, and weight training

-Eating: I don't eat red meat, or drink... My normal foods: Special K, Eggs (only 1 yolk), grilled chicken over field greens, tuna or brown rice with veggies.

- I average 9 hours of sleep (I love my sleep!!) - Drink at least 2 liters of water a day.

How on earth am I not losing weight?? It's hard to keep working so hard, for the scale not to reflect it. I once had an issue w/ my thyroid but my last check up said it was completely fine (May 13).

Help!

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Weight, height, age please.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Also current amount of calories you eat daily
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    How many calories do you eat per day?
  • ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    I would need to see your diary to offer any a advise. Others will probably want to see it too, you could open your profile to be viewed by mfp members only, just to get some answers.
  • I don't count calories (sorry! My view is that if it's all good for you, as long as the portions aren't huge-- its generally okay)

I'm 24, 5'8 and 225.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I don't count calories (sorry! My view is that if it's all good for you, as long as the portions aren't huge-- its generally okay)

I'm 24, 5'8 and 225.

you're gonna need to count calories if you're expecting to figure out how much you need to eat to lose.

weight loss is a math equation. Gotta have numbers for that.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I don't count calories

Here's the answer to your question.

It's ok to not count calories, really, and you'll be happier and healthier eating better, but just don't expect to lose weight very fast -- if at all.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    I don't count calories (sorry! My view is that if it's all good for you, as long as the portions aren't huge-- its generally okay)

That's what you're doing wrong.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member

I'm 24, 5'8 and 225.

THIS, is what you are doing wrong
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Hi all! I feel like I'm doing everything right and I'm just not losing!! Below is what I'm currently doing, and if anyone has ANY tips-- I'd so appreciate them!!

Hey!
    -Working out: 4-5x weekly, at least 45 min. of cardio, and weight training

Doesn't really matter how long you work out for, it's how much calories you are burning as you need to add that onto myfitnesspals daily calorie allowance
    -Eating: I don't eat red meat, or drink... My normal foods: Special K, Eggs (only 1 yolk), grilled chicken over field greens, tuna or brown rice with veggies.

For losing weight it doesn't matter what you are eating, just total calories consumed
    - I average 9 hours of sleep (I love my sleep!!) - Drink at least 2 liters of water a day.

Sounds reasonable
    How on earth am I not losing weight?? It's hard to keep working so hard, for the scale not to reflect it. I once had an issue w/ my thyroid but my last check up said it was completely fine (May 13).

Help!

You've recently said you don't count your calories. There's your problem. If you are failing by not counting them either count them or continue to fail.

You can't lose weight just by eating "clean" foods. In fact personally I don't believe "clean" foods exist.
  • I may be clueless because I don't count calories, but I believe it IS still possible without doing so. My portions aren't big, and my exercise is consistent...Perhaps I'm looking for advice about exercise more so than food intake.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Count calories, by weighing solid foods and measuring liquids. If your cals are well below your calculated maintenance intake then you may have some type of hormonal imbalance (thyroid) that you want to get checked out.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I may be clueless because I don't count calories, but I believe it IS still possible without doing so. My portions aren't big, and my exercise is consistent...Perhaps I'm looking for advice about exercise more so than food intake.

you're not counting calories and you're not losing.

why keep doing what isn't working? Why not try what everyone here is telling you?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

I'm 24, 5'8 and 225.

well there is your problem right there…

how can you know if you are in a deficit if you are not counting calories…

Go into MFP settings and set your weight loss for one pound per week loss. MFP will give you a daily calorie number…

Get a food scale and weigh and measure all of your food and then log every single piece of food that you eat.
    Log your exercise for the day..
    You should then net the amount of calories that MFP gives you as your target number. So your target is 1500 calories a day. You exercise and burn off 200 calories…you then need to eat 1700 calories to net 1500. 1700 calories consume - 200 calories burned = 1500 calories net for the day.

The only caveat to this is that MFP and exercise machine burns are usually off, so I would recommend only eating half of your exercise calories back to start.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    I may be clueless because I don't count calories, but I believe it IS still possible without doing so. My portions aren't big, and my exercise is consistent...Perhaps I'm looking for advice about exercise more so than food intake.

A double frosted donut is also a small portion. And, no you need advice on food, not exercise.

If you aren't losing, your calorie deficit is non existent.

You said you work so hard, and do so much, yet you don't do the biggest single thing for effective weight loss: count calories.
  • Nikwise
    Nikwise Posts: 4 Member
    For starters, throw out your scale.
    Now, make the tape measurer your friend, you only need to visit once a month though. You should really go by how your clothes fit to gauge where you are.
    Depending on how long you've been working out and watching what you eat, your body may still be adjusting.
    If it's been a couple months or more, then maybe check in to seeing a nutritionist. EVERYBODY's bodies are different, and what works for one person won't work for someone else. It can be as simple as the calories you are taking in either aren't enough, or aren't the right kinds of nutrients for your body.
    Once you find out what your body is wanting, let the slim down begin!!

Hope this helps.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    I've reached the quota on my calories before I leave work before because I had walnuts in my oatmeal and avacado in my chili at lunch time. The little healthy stuff can add up more than if feels like it does. I'm just starting out so I'm not an authority but yeah if I wasn't writing it down I would think my calories are less even though I eat healthy usually.
  • If I made an educated guess, I'd say I eat approx.1300 calories a day. Is there such thing as an average calorie goal for generic weight loss? I guess I will have to start counting, and see what happens.

Thanks all, any other advice is welcomed!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

no you need advise on food intake….

you can do zero exercise, eat in a calorie deficit, and lose weight.

You need to track your calories and weigh/measure everything.

You are doing it your way right now and not losing….why would you keep doing that?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member

Help!

If you have been here since Sept of last year and you haven't been losing weight in all that time - that was probably time wasted. You are doing something wrong, no matter how hard you protest. I was like you. I didn't want to hear that I was doing it wrong.

*eat at a calorie deficit
    *weigh (solid foods), measure in cups/ spoons (liquid foods) and LOG EVERY BITE.
    *find something you love to do and then do it consistently
    *patience

If you're not ready to lose the weight - that's okay. It's hard work. It's doing it every day. It's learning to build better habits around food and exercise. It's learning to eat correct serving sizes of all foods. When you're ready to do these things - you will be successful. Best of luck!