Who Said Bananas Are Not Good For You?

Options

Replies

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard anyone say a banana was bad until I joined MFP. Totally weird to me.

QFT!!! Ridiculousness - wait, thats a word, right?? :smile:
  • TX_Rhon
    Options
    Bananas are bad for you and bad in general.

* This post brought to you by the "I don't like this food, therefore it is demon food" Department of MFP Forums and the number 666.

FIFY - in keeping with the "demon" food theme!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

* This post brought to you by the "I don't like this food, therefore it is demon food" Department of MFP Forums and the number 666.

The community guidelines do not allow the promotion of evil demon calorie intakes below 1200. :devil:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I... Really, someone thinks bananas are bad for you? I mean they're foul little fruits, but not unhealthy.

It's because sugar. If a person thinks sugar is the debil then they think bananas are "bad."

Or, like another poster mentioned, when someone talks about eating mostly bananas, to the exclusion of other foods (like the aptly-named "banana girl" from YouTube)
  • TX_Rhon
    Options

The community guidelines do not allow the promotion of evil demon calorie intakes below 1200. :devil:

Ooops! My bad. I was channeling my inner Sesame Street when you said "brought to you by....the number 1200" :laugh: :laugh:

Especially since I get hangry if I eat only 1200 - that's not even in my vocabulary!!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    useful tips on storing bananas.

http://www.chiquitabananas.com/Banana-Information/selecting-handling-ripening-bananas.aspx

i don't like mine to get over-ripe (too sweet) and since i usually buy 6-8 at a time, this causes me a problem leaving them on the counter. therefore, when they are all at the ripeness i prefer, i put them in the fridge where they will stay at that ripeness for a few days until i've eaten them all.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Bananas are also supposed to be loaded with potassium.

But I like bananas, anyway.
  • scoutli
    scoutli Posts: 33 Member
    Options

http://www.chiquitabananas.com/Banana-Information/selecting-handling-ripening-bananas.aspx

i don't like mine to get over-ripe (too sweet) and since i usually buy 6-8 at a time, this causes me a problem leaving them on the counter. therefore, when they are all at the ripeness i prefer, i put them in the fridge where they will stay at that ripeness for a few days until i've eaten them all.

Exactly what I do!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I love bananas best that have a teeny tiny bit of green on them. The more ripe they are, the less I like them. I didn't know about that refrigerator trick, thanks so much for sharing. What we sometimes do with overripe bananas, instead of throwing them away, make banana or banana nut bread (from scratch) instead.
  • running_tall
    running_tall Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost every day! Love 'em!
  • MasterKat
    MasterKat Posts: 149
    Options
    :bigsmile: This makes me happy I :heart: bananas!
  • kosuski
    kosuski Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!!

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I... Really, someone thinks bananas are bad for you? I mean they're foul little fruits, but not unhealthy.

Actually, bananas are not a fruit, it's "technically a berry and a strawberry is not a berry?!?:noway: ...it's funny what I've discovered doing research on foods I'm eating: I found this on OMG Facts
    http://www.omg-facts.com/Science/A-strawberry-isnt-an-actual-berry-but-a/1339

A strawberry is not an actual berry, but a banana is.

By technical definition, a berry is a fleshy fruit produced from a single seed. The strawberry, however has its dry, yellow "seeds" on the outside (each of which is actually considered a separate fruit). True berries, such as blueberries and cranberries have seeds inside. However, the banana fruit is a berry for the same reason strawberries are not.

There is a theory that strawberries were named by 19th century children who picked the fruit, strung them on grass straws, and sold them as "Straws of berries".
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Great article! ***:love: *** I eat a banana everyday! Thanks for sharing!

You are so welcomed my friend :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Only ads on the internet say they're bad..........lol
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bananas are YUM!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate a banana, some banana bread and a slice of banana cream pie. I've already had today's banana and am looking forward to some more pie. I love everything banana. . . I'm remembering the banana bomb pops I used to get from the ice cream truck that drove around my neighborhood when I was a kid.
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    How can someone not like bananas? That's like not liking Christmas or Matt Damon movies.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I recon it's time for me to learn the art of loving the Banana :drinker:

Me too! :drinker: :heart: :drinker: Having one for breakfast is now a nice option for me, instead of skipping having something in the morning.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I like bananas alright (mostly combined with other things), but how are they considered high in iron? It's like 1% of your daily iron value.