weight gain

Options
Dearest Esteemed MFP'ers,

You're help and or advice is sought.

I've gained a lot of fat over the last 5 months (30 lbs). So I restarted my journey at 329 lbs. The last two weeks I've made an effort to attend the gym or exercise, and averaged three days per week. I've been loosely watching what I eat. I lost 6 lbs.

On Sunday night while in bed, I decided I needed to buck up my ideas and committed myself eating properly and watching every calorie so I stay within my allowance as well as to attend the gym more and start the Couch to 5k programme properly. Monday I did week 1 ok C25k and did the same yesterday with additional exercises. On in between days I've lifted weights (something I've loved to do for years). Today I intend to do a little cardio and train my back muscles. I've strictly logged my food and have been within my allowance.

I've stepped on tbe scale and seemed to have gained 2lbs (I noticed a gain of 1 lb, earlier in the week), now although I appear to be a scale obsessive, I'm not, but my next official weigh day is nearly here and don't wanna become despondent; let's face it, I am a heifer and should be melting away. Instead I'm gaining.

Has anyone experienced weight gain like this? When does it stop and I start losing fat?

Cheers dears!

Replies

• Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    new fitness routine - muscles are retaining water and recovering, no biggie you will see a nice drop in 1-2 weeks, keep up the awesome work!!
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    new fitness routine - muscles are retaining water and recovering, no biggie you will see a nice drop in 1-2 weeks, keep up the awesome work!!
    agree'd.

On another note; just keep at it. Don't stress so much about little gains. Through my journey which started nearly where you are, i've gone up and down a lot (between 1-10lbs! wowowow!) but don't let it get you down, most of the time it's just water weight or something silly like that that our bodies do. Just make sure to weigh at the same time each time... also, the best time i think is generally after you've woken up and gone to the bathroom. Just get completely naked and weigh yourself. Or one step better is if you wake up, go washroom, shower, dry off and then weigh yourself. At that point it's 100% pure you if you wanna get real strict haha. Goodluck though! just keep swimming :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

^ Yep, that's what I came here to say. My weight was all over the place when I started C25K in mid-January, and when I added in some cross-country skiing in early February, due to water retention from recovering muscles. Here's a chart of my last 3 months: daily weights are the white diamonds, while the red line is the exponentially smoothed weighted average:

http://brianogilvie.net/images/chart-20131127-to-20140227.png

You can see a few patterns there: weight loss into mid-December, followed by a slight gain over the holidays into early January, then the downward trend resumes. However, if you look at individual days, they bounce all around!

Meanwhile, if you look at my weekly MFP weigh-ins, things appear different:

http://brianogilvie.net/images/mfp-chart.png

I update MFP only once a week, so that my feed doesn't show every daily fluctuation. However, the result can be big steps up, like on Feb. 10. Last year I had a few weeks that looked like plateaus on MFP, but my daily trend was still down - Mondays just happened to be anomalies.

Give yourself another couple of weeks to adjust to the exercise before you start to worry.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate your inputs.

Hugs, kisses and cwtches all round.

xx
  • Supadoopafly
    Options

^ Yep, that's what I came here to say. My weight was all over the place when I started C25K in mid-January, and when I added in some cross-country skiing in early February, due to water retention from recovering muscles. Here's a chart of my last 3 months: daily weights are the white diamonds, while the red line is the exponentially smoothed weighted average:

http://brianogilvie.net/images/chart-20131127-to-20140227.png

You can see a few patterns there: weight loss into mid-December, followed by a slight gain over the holidays into early January, then the downward trend resumes. However, if you look at individual days, they bounce all around!

Meanwhile, if you look at my weekly MFP weigh-ins, things appear different:

http://brianogilvie.net/images/mfp-chart.png

I update MFP only once a week, so that my feed doesn't show every daily fluctuation. However, the result can be big steps up, like on Feb. 10. Last year I had a few weeks that looked like plateaus on MFP, but my daily trend was still down - Mondays just happened to be anomalies.

Give yourself another couple of weeks to adjust to the exercise before you start to worry.

Watching the winter Olympics has really giving me the inkling to try cross country skiing, because it looks like one of those exercises that works nearly every muscle in the body. Whereabouts do you live? North Pole?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Watching the winter Olympics has really giving me the inkling to try cross country skiing, because it looks like one of those exercises that works nearly every muscle in the body. Whereabouts do you live? North Pole?

Today it feels like it! This morning it was 5 F (-15 C) outside when I fetched the newspapers.

But it's only western Massachusetts. Skiing has been episodic for the last few years, since we have often had a January or February thaw that melts most of the snow and leaves the rest a slippery, icy mess. I'm hoping to get back out tomorrow if conditions permit.