How my journey begins

BMW6Series
BMW6Series Posts: 124
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, My name is Richard. I am very much encouraged by what you have going on here.

2008 started out rough for me. I used to be a pastor and was asked to resign (due to politics) and moved with my family back to Washington State to be close to parents and grandparents. While I was out of work, I finally went to a doctor to see what the heck was going on with me, because I felt so much pain, and fatigue. February 2008 I was diagnosed with Lupus. I was weighing about 230 at that time. My lupus medication felt like it was putting a whole in my stomach so I ate and ate.

Trying to find work, I sold insurance for a while, which put me out on the road a lot, eating fast food. Since then I started work at a fast food restaurant (because trying to start out in insurance in this economy is awful). I have ballooned up to 260lbs.

I was really hoping for a couple of new jobs to open up for me this fall, so that I could get back into ministry and those didn't happen. I was really hoping that a new Lupus medication that has been in the works for a bit was going to come to the market to help me feel better this fall as was promised and it didn't happen.

I figured that I needed to help myself where I could. I ordered a book on recovering from Lupus (There is no cure for it, so even the premise is kinda dubious). I read it and it made sense even though I didn't like it. It is basically a vegan diet, minus caffeine, white flour and other things that could trigger inflammation.

So I am now trying to go vegan for the sake of pain and fatigue, but I am starting to lose weight as well, and I figure that is a good thing.

I figure that it would be better to go through this with a group of friends, than to try to go through it on my own.

So I am joining MFP today.

I am kinda of a forum junkie, so I figure this will be good.

BMW6Series

Replies

• stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Welcome & God Bless you on your journey to health!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Hi Richard,

You have definitely come to the right place. BTW, what part of Washington are you in? I am in the southwest part of the state. Also, I definitely understand about the economy and getting established in the insurance business, as I am just getting established with a new company in that business myself.

I don't know much about lupus, but the dietary program you are following certainly sounds like a positive step toward feeling better, and obviously, weight loss will certainly make you feel better in other ways.

Good luck!!!

Barb
  • Thanks Weaklink and StringsnLinks. Trying for figure out how to sort my ticker now. LOL! It doesn't seem to be added to my signature like I expected.
  • I am in Spokane. Southwest Washington? I used to live in Vancouver, Washington and Portland, Oregon.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    We used to be neighbors, then, as that is the area I was referring to. I was actually born near where you are living now. 'Tis a small world.:smile:
This discussion has been closed.