New to strength training!

Options
So I want to start lifting weights! No gym membership so just at my house. I still have a lot of fat to lose, but I feel like I have some decent muscle hiding underneath (mostly my legs and butt) However...I have NO idea where to start! I only have 8lb weights (I know I know...very light!) Researching this is a bit overwhelming...do I get a kettleball? heavier weights? olympic bar? Not sure where to start...any help is greatly appreciated!! :)

Replies

• chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What about starting off with body weight exercises?

www.bodyrock.tv is a great place to start! Then as you get more adjusted, you can add things like sandbags and what not.

No need for a huge investment in gym equipment or gym memberships if you are just starting out! :)
  • docbrox87
    Options
    Hey! weight training is AWESOME! You will love it :) Try looking up "calisthenics for beginners". It looks intense but body weight exercises are so effective and the plus side is you don't need a gym! Many of the programs also offer exercises for you as you get more advanced so there will always be a challenge!
    Remember to keep a little bit of cardio in there as well. You say you still want to shed some fat - HIIT (high intensity interval training) is VERY useful when trying to shift fat so be sure to look that up too!

Wishing you all the best!
    x
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    Hi there! I used to do cross fit classes but recently quit to save money and continue to workout at home with weights. I LOVE my kettlebell and recommend one just so you can add variety to your workouts. I bought mine for fairly cheap on Amazon.com (the cheapest iron bell) - it's 25lb. I also have a medicine ball (10lb) and they are fun to use too.

If you are on Pinterest - search for "strength training" or specifics like "kettlebell" and you will find lots of sample workouts you can do from home. I have a lot of workouts pinned and just pick one to do every other day.

Lastly, you don't have to be chained to the dumbbells, kettlbells, etc. You can also use your body weight for strength training with pushups, squats, situps, lunges, etc. Look up "crossfit wods" on Pinterest too for some fun ideas.

Good luck!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    What about starting off with body weight exercises?

www.bodyrock.tv is a great place to start! Then as you get more adjusted, you can add things like sandbags and what not.

No need for a huge investment in gym equipment or gym memberships if you are just starting out! :)

Here's a good website for body weight exercises as well: cardio and strength training. http://workoutseries.com/bodyweightbook/
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Welcome to strength training! 8lbs is a good starting point.

There are a lot of great exercises that you can do with free weights. I divide my workouts each day so I work different muscle groups and give others time to rest and recover. Here are a few examples to get you started:

For each exercise, do 10 reps, rest for a minute, and repeat for a total of 3 sets. Don't overexert yourself. Pay attention to proper form and if in doubt, reference pictures of these exercises online. All movements should be controlled and smooth. If you have difficulty, it doesn't hurt to use lower weights until you build more strength.

Day 1 - Chest and Triceps - Example: Dumbbell flat bench press: lie on your back with your hands just wider than your shoulders, lift weights directly above your shoulders, arms fully extended (there are also incline and decline presses -- the only difference is the angle of your body so it works different parts of your chest), Dumbbell fly: lie on your back with your arms extended, elbows can be slightly bent, lift weights until they meet above you and slowly lower your arms back down. (If you're having a hard time picturing this one, it's like clapping with your entire arms while lying on your back), Triceps extension: standing, hold one weight with both hands, bend your elbows above your ears and straighten your arms (keeping elbows in the same place) to lift the weight over your head. Push-ups are also a great chest/tricep workout.
    Day 2 - Back and Biceps - Dumbbell Rows: leaning forward with your torso parallel to the ground, pull the weight up towards you, bending your elbow until the weight is at your side (do one arm at a time, 10x each), Bicep curls: holding the weight, palm upward, pull weight up to your shoulder. (also look up hammer curls, preacher curls and other variations)
    Day 3 - Shoulders - Shoulder press: hold weights at your shoulders and push upward over your head, keeping hands shoulder width apart (Also sometimes called a "military press." You can also do this one arm at a time, but I prefer to do both at the same time), Dumbbell raise: standing, with arms at your sides, holding weights with your palms facing behind you, pull arms directly up, bending your elbows like you are lifting the weights up to your armpits, Front dumbbell raise: starting at the same standing position, arms at your sides, palms facing behind you, keeping arms straight and pivoting at your shoulder until your arm is parallel to the ground in front of you (this is a tough one, you may have to drop the weight down if you have trouble keeping good form).
    Day 4 - Abs - You may not have to add weights to your ab workouts yet, but if you want to, you should youtube Jillian Michael's ab workout videos since it's easier to understand than trying to type out all of the movements and where your weights should be here.
    Day 5 - Legs - Full disclosure - I go to the gym for leg workouts since my home weights aren't heavy enough... BUT... there are great leg workouts with weights that you can do at home, like holding weights at your side while doing squats.
    Day 6 - Cardio
    Day 7 - Rest

I hope this helps and if you need any more tips, feel free to add me as a friend and send me a message.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Lot of great info.

depending on money, you can just get two 1 gallon milk jugs and use that.

If I could fit it. I would get a 4 post squat rack, barbell and plates.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Have fun - - it is a lot of fun. I'm not that good because of the arthritis but baby I try.
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    Thanks MeredithEve - I was looking for the same info!
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Bump for later - I'm in the same boat!
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I am doing ChaLEAN Extreme. Its a good way to get into lifting, IMO. I had to get heavier weights, though.
  • hezzer0203
    Options
    bump :)
  • jdot107
    Options
    If you are going to use resistance training, the key to results is progressive overload (increasing the weight over time). If you aren't getting an adjustable, heavier dumbbell set then I'd stick to bodyweight exercises. Bench dips, lunges, squats, planks etc.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    In for the advice.

I am currently doing Chalean Extreme(2-3 days a week, only doing the weight lifting, not cardio videos) and LOVE it!! I asked my bf for adjustable dumbless for xmas this year and he got me the Bowflex adjustable ones that go up to 50 pounds each. They are awesome!!! (and expensive!! $300) However, I won't outgrown them ever, so it is a worthwile investment. I like the advice of others to start with body weight exercises. That's what I did too before I got my weights. I think weight lifting is totally awesome!! :) Good luck!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    well the point to strength training is to consistently overload your muscles so that you are getting stronger. in this sense strength training is a bit different than resistance training, especially since in strength training you should be trying to increase your weights with every workout until you stall and after that there's a few other technique.

with that said if you are going to work out at home then you need to formulate a plan to progressively increase your weights/load because you will very quickly go through the 8 pound dumbbell.

also strength training involves a combo of low reps and higher number of sets. so for instance instead of 3*15, you might do something like 5*5 or 5*3
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The idea behind strength training is progressive loading (doing more weight with this workout than you did at the prior workout) which is easiest with either dumbells or a barbell, IMO. You won't gain much strength doing the same weight every workout. If you use the same 8 lbs every time, your body will only adapt that far and no further.

As far as programs, strong lifts (stronglifts.com) is very simple and it's free, and a very easy way to get started and something to keep you gaining strength while you're doing more research into the more advanced or complicated stuff. :happy:
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes you need to lift! We all do! Lol. I don't have any weights at the moment either but I'm starting a body weight program on Monday. I found it on bodybuilding.com (which is a great resource btw). I can link you the program. Message me if you're interested in that.
  • smand2000
    Options
    Start with a bodyweight program. Stick with it for a couple of months. Make it a part of your life. When you start to outgrow it (you will intuitively know when you are ready to move on from these programs), purchase a power rack online (doesn't need to be new - people are always getting rid of these). Purchase an olympic barbell. Purchase an adjustable bench (one that goes from flat to upright). Purchase either an EZ bar or adjustable dumbbells (preferably both). Purchase some weight plates (rubber or iron, whichever best fits the space you will be working out). Make sure to get clamps for your bars.

That is all the equipment you will ever need. Except to eventually purchase more plates!

Good luck!