Milk for the gain

Options
Hello again,

I have a question regarding milk.
It seems as if it is the most well balanced single meal out there, at a 45% carbs, 28% protein, and 28% fats more or less, and at a liter of it, you get roughly 700 calories (a whole meal).

I was wondering if during the starting phase (when it is still hard to consume so much solid calories), it would be reasonable and useful to drink one liter of milk after every meal as a snack? So for example:

Breakfast: 600 calories
Snack: 1 liter of whole milk 700calories
Lunch: 800 calories
Dinner: 700 calories

for a total of 4200 calories more or less.

Would there be an drawbacks? I realize that it does contain fats as well, but as an ectomorph I believe that when I decide to go on a lean phase, I will end up burning the fat quite speedily.

Cheers for any feedback

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    So like... almost a whole gallon a day? Anything to extremes can be bad. Here's an article I found on overconsumption of milk. Perhaps others will illuminate more.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000332.htm
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If you aren't used to drinking that much milk you are going to be one miserable person.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    That's only 2100 cals of solid food. I'm sure you can find 2 high cal solid food snacks and use the milk to fill in the gaps.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    GOMAD is a thing- but don't just jump into it.

I would stop making a big deal about the food stuff and just start fitting it in- this is the second thread about not getting enough food.

Just do the thing.

Every day try to eat a little more- no one just jumps up several hundred to a thousand a day without issues- almost everyone goes up by 250-500 increments- a lot of women go up by 100 calorie increments.

Just do it. eat the things- eat junk food snacks- hell 7 oreos is like what 600 something calories?
  • Bombacho
    Options
    Sugalynx, thank you for the link.
    It frightned me q bit to be honest :p
    I obtained the idea from reading this before hand: http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

Hey Susanna,
    I may not be used to drinking one gallon yet, but I am currently drinking half a galon and if spaced correctly I may be able to get in a bit more. Of course I may need to up the dosage steadily by increasing a liter more each two weeks or so.

RobsGirl,
    You brought up another question. Is it different to consume solid foods rather than liquid? Of course maybe I wont be going to the bathroom as much, but besides that? Are solid calories better?

Cheers for your responses
  • JoRocka
    Options
    eating your food is better- but after a while it's harder- drinking them makes it easier when you are on a high calorie diet- mostly it's used to help up calories- but not to make up the bulk of the diet needs.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Reducing the amount of milk by incorporating some high cal snacks will not only helped you adjust to eating more cals but give you a wider variaty in your diet which makes it more enjoyable. Use the milk if you need that extra boost but at only2100 cals of solid food I would think you could easily increase that to 3000 adding peanut butter, butter, oil, cream, cheese, bacon, and a number of high cal additions that will make food taist even better.
  • Bombacho
    Options
    Perfect. Thank you for your feedback.

I will maintain my current ratio of milk and only take more if I cannot fathom to include any more solid foods on that day.

Cheers gain!
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Eat junk food and oreos ? really ?

If you wanna gain 90% fat and 10% muscle, sure why not go ahead.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Eat junk food and oreos ? really ?

If you wanna gain 90% fat and 10% muscle, sure why not go ahead.

have you ever bulked before? DOELB?

I'm not 90% fat and i eat oreo's and ice cream almost every day. I look fricking fabulous. well- squishy because I'm bulking- but still fabulous.

the amount of calories matters- you can only eat so much grilled chicken and quinoa. Seriously. If someone is struggling for calories- quality is irrelevant- making the quantity is- and the best way to do that is to eat calorie dense "junk" food. Hit your protein- get your carbs- and grab a spoon and some peanut butter or ice cream.

If you get home at 1130 at night and still have 500 + calories to eat- are you really going to eat another 3 chicken breasts and 4 cups of steamed veggies?

nope- just crush my oreos' into my ice cream- grab a glass of milk and go to bed 20 minutes later.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

DOELB?

Do you even acronym, bro? :tongue:
  • DrFlave
    DrFlave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Would there be an drawbacks? I realize that it does contain fats as well, but as an ectomorph I believe that when I decide to go on a lean phase, I will end up burning the fat quite speedily.

Dietary fat doesn't make you fat. An excess of calories makes you fat.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    milk is good.
    buy a cow.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Milk has a good balance of fat, carbs and protein. I drink whole milk every day.

As long as you're not lactose intolerant, it's healthy whether you're trying to gain or lose weight. I used to mix it with weight gainer when I was really tiny and lifting a lot.
  • JoRocka
    Options

DOELB?

Do you even acronym, bro? :tongue:

damnit.

stupid keyboard
    DYELB

Today in the news "jo fails at being snarky "

so the answer is clearly I do not even acronym LOL
    I'm a newb.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I will share one last thing with you my friend. If your training and rest are on point, then you will find yourself hungry all of the time. I find the day after I train @ 80% max I am starving. If you overtrain (too long, too frequently) you may find yourself unable to eat large meals. The secret of the pro's is that they eat a little something every 2-3- hours. It does not have to be a large meal. We can sit here and argue semantics all day, but you still have to do the work that needs to be done. There is no perfect ratio of carbs, protein and fat. Everyone is different, that is why you have so many different diets out there. I can sit here and type you an entire phone book of information. It does not mean **** if you don't do what you need to. Do not take the easy way out, if you don't like to eat then do not try to pack on the beef so quickly. You will find yourself frustrated, and headed down the wrong road. One step at a time, do what works for you. Above all, when this gets hard, you need to make that sacrfice. I wish you the best.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I will share one last thing with you my friend. If your training and rest are on point, then you will find yourself hungry all of the time. I find the day after I train @ 80% max I am starving. If you over train (too long, too frequently) you may find yourself unable to eat large meals. The secret of the pro's is that they eat a little something every 2-3- hours. It does not have to be a large meal.

Just a side note/expound on the food comment: one of the reasons they do that- is because on a bulk it's REALLY hard to constantly sit down and eat as much food as they need. So it's much easier to spread it out consistently through the day- it has nothing about the metabolism and meal timing being better persay (to a point it can make an impact but for most people it's not a big deal)... but just consistently eating helps you meet your goal.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I drank a gallon of whole milk every day for 16 months. Every day.

In high amounts, it is not all that helpful for gaining weight relative to other calorie dense foods. 4-6 cups a day is great for adding calories. But milk is pretty challenging for most people to digest and can really fill you up in high quantities. If you drink a gallon every day, odds are that your appetite will be diminished more than if you had just eaten 700 calorie snacks of something less filling.

I have an easier time only drinking 1/4 to 1/2 a gallon 2% every day and getting in more calories via other means.