I feel horrible!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat, I stopped smoking, drinking soda AND stopped eating junk all of the time, all at once... and I survived. I still eat a little bit of junk if I can afford it into my calories or if I know I'm going out with friends or something, I plan ahead. If you're use to eating 2k or more calories you just cannot drop to 1200 calories and expect your body to not revolt. I'd trying eating 2k, or 1.9k until you can easily eat that amount without going over, then drop it. I ate 1.9k for about a month and my friend suggested dropping it to 1.5k and IF'ing. It sucks in the morning, but you get over it. Read this link, it'll help and good luck! http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I eat all the "bad" food, see ticker below.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Withdraw OR you are being too restrictive.

I am going with too restrictive.
  • thelynnester
    Options
    I am starting today. I just wanted to say that jessicawrigh is completely correct. My suggestion to you would be to stop beating yourself up! Of course you feel terrible, your brain is trying to get you to push the button like a rat with cocaine. (Search weight loss and addiction on cracked.com) You need to replace your bad habits with good ones. Take a long soak, read a fovorite book. Pop some popcorn and watch a favorite program (or a marathon, with marching in place during the commercials.)

Keeping your goal in mind is important, but, if you try to force yourself to quit everything at once you have to compensate with new choices. If you're suffering headaches from no soda, get a little cafeine in your life - from tea or coffee. Don't give up!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You feel horrible because you've made some rather drastic and sudden changes to your diet, with the goal to lose weight as quickly as possible. That doesn't strike me as healthy or sustainable. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you're more likely to see long-term success by eating at a reasonable calorie deficit and making small changes to your diet over time. By learning moderation, you can include more nutrient dense food into your diet and still consume the things you enjoy. And by losing at a slower pace, you will retain more muscle mass in the process.

^ This.

I agree that depending on your prior caffeine consumption, you could be experiencing withdrawals. But making such huge, immediate changes to your diet can be taxing as well.

In what way(s) are you feeling horrible?

Keep in mind that if you've suddenly added a lot more fiber to your diet than your body was used to, you might experience some temporary cramping or other unpleasant digestive issues, but that should pass as your body becomes used to the extra fiber. :smile:
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I know when I gave up sugar (and have to give up again.....)

First I was like:
    12826331483_f413f113e2_o.jpg
    psycho-ex-girlfriend2-217x300

Then I was like:
    12826266375_770a5bdec7_m.jpg
    psychotic-woman 1

Then it turns to this:
    12826699694_c059ab3a58_t.jpg
    woman-crying-21
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I am starting today. I just wanted to say that jessicawrigh is completely correct. My suggestion to you would be to stop beating yourself up! Of course you feel terrible, your brain is trying to get you to push the button like a rat with cocaine. (Search weight loss and addiction on cracked.com)

Oh yes, the famous Cracked.com Addiction Weight Loss Study that has been referenced by so many.

Oh, wait...
  • tklyall
    tklyall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here are a few tips that lived by for 6 months and I lost over 60lbs. They are simple and easy to get used to.

1. If you're into breakfast sandwiches, go with egg whites. A typical homemade breakfast sandwich I like is an egg white sandwich with chicken bacon with low fat cheese whiz and whole wheat dempsters thins bread. Very tasty and filling and only 300 calories.

2. Diet soda. I know it's arguably worse for you, but it's zero calories as opposed to over 100 calories for a can of Pepsi. It worked for me.

3. Willpower. Snacks are good, but make sure you have room in your diary before endulging yourself. You can eat what you want. That includes cookies, pizza, burgers, etc. just eat this stuff in moderation. Something that helped me a ton was cheat day. One day a weak I would go to my favorite takeout place and enjoy myself.

That's about it. These helped me stick to my plan and reach my goals. I lost over 60lbs and kept it off after 8 months and it's thanks to MyFitnessPal.
  • daniellerigsby9
    Options
    You feel horrible because you've made some rather drastic and sudden changes to your diet, with the goal to lose weight as quickly as possible. That doesn't strike me as healthy or sustainable. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you're more likely to see long-term success by eating at a reasonable calorie deficit and making small changes to your diet over time. By learning moderation, you can include more nutrient dense food into your diet and still consume the things you enjoy. And by losing at a slower pace, you will retain more muscle mass in the process.

^ This.

I agree that depending on your prior caffeine consumption, you could be experiencing withdrawals. But making such huge, immediate changes to your diet can be taxing as well.

Keep in mind that if you've suddenly added a lot more fiber to your diet than your body was used to, you might experience some temporary cramping or other unpleasant digestive issues, but that should pass as your body becomes used to the extra fiber. :smile:

I am feeling tired, more stressed out than usual, I feel like I am starving (like sick hungry), just altogether bad. I am making myself drink one -two cups of coffee a day and this has helped with the headaches that I was having. I figured that my body was just like "what is going on, where is the good (bad) stuff" I know that you cant eat all of those bad foods and just give them up without feeling something from it. I just wish this starving feeling would go away!
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just quit one thing this morning. Then quit something else the next month.
    Quit nothing at all even.

I eat out 80% of the time and I am still able to make good choices. So instead of McDonalds I get Sumo Sald and I do some research on calories and go from there. I had gozleme for lunch that was 1000 calories.. oh well, better walk for 45 minutes tonight instead of 30.

I also drink diet soda. Its not killing me. My hair is not falling out. I dont have cancer from the horrid chemicals.
    I just try and balance it out a bit with my water intake.

It doesn't have to be a drama.
    Get out of the house and stop thinking about all the stuff you gave up and embrace your new healthier lifestyle by going for a walk.
    Or the alternative, jam a box of cookies down your throat, live in regret and then get on the forums and have a pity party :D

The choice is yours.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

^ This.

I am feeling tired, more stressed out than usual, I feel like I am starving (like sick hungry), just altogether bad. I am making myself drink one -two cups of coffee a day and this has helped with the headaches that I was having. I figured that my body was just like "what is going on, where is the good (bad) stuff" I know that you cant eat all of those bad foods and just give them up without feeling something from it. I just wish this starving feeling would go away!

What is your calorie goal? Maybe you're feeling so hungry because you've cut your calories too much. When I am really, truly hungry, I feel generally terrible and am not a pleasant person to be around.
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Try and find a quiet place to sit. Close your eyes. Breathe. Feel your breathing. Focus on your breathing. Now focus on the various parts of your body and acknowledge how they feel. If you start thinking about food, gently bring yourself back to your breathing.

No, this is not meditation...at least I don't consider it that. I consider it getting the heck out of your head for a few minutes. It's OK to feel horrible. It's not OK to let it control or push you into something you don't want to do.

Feel like crying? Cry. Let it out. Want to scream? Grab a pillow and scream. Let it out.

Weight loss is not just about numbers and movement. It's also about your mind. Often, I feel crappy and just want to eat...and eat...and eat. It doesn't help when my wife has had a long day and *she* picks up junk fast food.

Want to to control that? You have to use your mind. We've let our bodies dictate our actions and it has gotten us here. You feel horrible. Focus. Use your mind. You are smarter and more powerful than you know. *YOU* are in control...your body needs to learn that.
  • Areneholmes
    Areneholmes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I understand this feeling all too well. My first attempt at eating better and getting into shape failed I think because I tried very hard to instantly change everything about my diet. I dropped soda, fast food, milkshakes, candy, chocolate, fried foods... What I learned on this second round that seems to be working much better is that for me, cold-turkey doesn't cut it, and completely altering everything you do all at once I think makes this harder for people like me than it should be.

What I did was I started slowly weaning myself off of the things I was used to having all the time that weren't at all healthy. I started replacing a soda here and there with water (flavored with Mio because I craved the sweet taste). Recently I've weaned myself off of Mio and I enjoy water alone or with lemon just fine. I didn't just stop drinking soda- It happened as a process over time. It's the same with other foods, too. I started replacing chocolate, ice cream, milkshakes, and other sweet things with fruits, which eventually morphed into me making my own fresh smoothies and adding protein scoops when I started working out more and needing the extra nutrients and such.

This is a process. You don't have to do it all at once, and you shouldn't. If you are feeling hungry, sick, tired, then scale the changes/exercises back some. You can write out a few small goals a week and also reward yourself for meeting goals. Also calculate what nutrients you need for your goals- make sure you're getting enough protein, fiber.... and enough calories.
    Vitamins, Iron and such too. Your body needs all of these things whether you're losing weight or not, no matter what you're doing, and if you aren't taking in what your body needs then you will continue to feel bad, possibly sick, and unmotivated/discouraged.

You'll feel better soon. Don't give up! Just don't overdo it all at once in the beginning. :) One step at a time.
  • jesssargent2
    jesssargent2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is just my fourth day trying to eat better and lose weight and I feel HORRIBLE!! I have stopped drinking soda, stopped fast food, and have started counting calories and trying to eat better. I thought that I would feel better after stopping the bad stuff but I don't! I am so tired of being fat and miserable and I don't want to give up but its hard to stay positive when you feel so bad.

Make sure you are eating snacks and maybe take a vitamin. You shouldn't feel hungry all the time. Make sure you eat plenty of healthy items not just what fits in your calorie range. Good luck and I do understand, I am farely new here but I have lost 10 pounds and working on more. Also foods with high fiber or protien are really good.