never satisfied til i eat something unhealthy??

recently i've been running into a bit of a strange roadblock - i'll eat a wonderful, filling, healthy meal ... but i feel as if i won't be satisfied until i eat something unhealthy. if i give in and allow myself the junk food, then i feel fine, no matter how small the junk food portion is - but regardless of how large/nutritious the healthy meal is, i ALWAYS feel that way afterwards!

anyone else running into this issue? and have you found any way to combat it WITHOUT giving in to the snacking urge? it's not as bad as it could be, since i could give myself half a cookie or something and have the urge go away, but i'd rather giving in not be my management strategy.

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    There is nothing wrong with a cookie, a bit of chocolate, a scoop or two of ice cream. Just weigh it, add it to your food diary and go on about your day. You have it listed as a "no-no" so of course you want it.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I've come to the acceptance that I like foods that aren't typically nutrient dense fit into my day as well. I've been trying to focus on an 80/20 approach. Basically, 80% of my calories go towards nutrient dense foods and the other 20% goes to not so nutritious. ..but tasty! The best way to stay on track is to not deprive. Allow yourself a little something ;)
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Nothing to add. Two great replies above. Well said.
  • awesome, thank you guys! i guess i was just blowing it up in my mind as a way bigger deal than it really was.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Since you want to be in control of it. You need to plan for it. Figure it into your calories everyday and have something. I allow myself 1or 2 pieces of chocolate at the end of the day. The thought that I can have that keeps me from eating more than I should at other times.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    No such thing as "something unhealthy", just unhealthy portions of it.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    it could be because youre trying to just eat veggies/rice cakes and cut everything else out. try to eat something from all food groups and even incorporate fats in the forms of nuts and seeds with your meal so you feel satisfied after eating healthy.

healthy food doesnt mean rabbit food! make better more filling, nutritious choices!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Are you getting enough fat in your diet? Fat helps with satiety but it's also super important for your hair/skin/brain/etc. Dietary fat is healthy, which a lot of people seem to forget!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    I combat it by having chocolate, about 100-125 cals worth, with both lunch and dinner.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    this thread is full of sound advice.
    nothing to add.

well done everyone.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    No such thing as "something unhealthy", just unhealthy portions of it.
    <= what she said. You start to come to realise - it is not food that is "good or bad". It is my view that it is healthy to not deny yourself but to work out how to incorporate your favourite foods into your daily life. It sounds to me that you have a great handle on this.
  • l0zar
    l0zar Posts: 2
    Me too!!! I can eat healthy meal for 3-4 days in a row but sooner or later I feel the desire of junk foods (i.e. Nutella and cheese mainly)! Like you I can be satisfied by small quantities, the problem is that if I have this desire in the evening at dinner, when I'm tired and very hungry cause of the low-calorie diet, I'm prone to give up and end up eating a lot of unhealthy foods.
    I think the key is basically to have a strong will, and try to avoid these risk situations. Now when I feel that desire, I stop thinking as soon as I can and I leave the kitchen because I know that if stay there I'll eat that ****ing delicious nutella ahahah :) .
    Moreover I use a technique called 'the chain technique' that consists in drawing a cross on a calendar each day you succeed in something (in this case not eating junk food). You will end up having a series of cross for each day you have been good and will be more unwilling to broke that chain...

Hope this helps!

Stay strong. (y)

Mirko
    Venice, Italy.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    glad to know that i wasnt the first to ever feel this way. it might be old habits, it might be my body begging for sugar, it might be just me craving garbage. still. im glad to know there are others in the same boat. cheers.
  • l0zar
    l0zar Posts: 2
    P.S.
    That said, I endorse other comments. You can allow yourself some tasty food sometimes (once a day/week/month, you choose), and consider it as a reward for your good behavior! ;)
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Are you getting enough fat in your diet? Fat helps with satiety but it's also super important for your hair/skin/brain/etc. Dietary fat is healthy, which a lot of people seem to forget!
    This is something I'd suggest you consider, OP.
  • mytabouly
    mytabouly Posts: 66 Member

Quoted for truth. I feel so much better ever since I introduced more fat to my diet. It seems to have jump started my weight loss too. Now fat constitutes 40 to 50% of my calorie intake.
  • Me too!!! I can eat healthy meal for 3-4 days in a row but sooner or later I feel the desire of junk foods (i.e. Nutella and cheese mainly)! Like you I can be satisfied by small quantities, the problem is that if I have this desire in the evening at dinner, when I'm tired and very hungry cause of the low-calorie diet, I'm prone to give up and end up eating a lot of unhealthy foods.
    I think the key is basically to have a strong will, and try to avoid these risk situations. Now when I feel that desire, I stop thinking as soon as I can and I leave the kitchen because I know that if stay there I'll eat that ****ing delicious nutella ahahah :) .
    Moreover I use a technique called 'the chain technique' that consists in drawing a cross on a calendar each day you succeed in something (in this case not eating junk food). You will end up having a series of cross for each day you have been good and will be more unwilling to broke that chain...

Hope this helps!

Stay strong. (y)

Mirko
    Venice, Italy.

I've never heard of the chain technique but just looked it up. This sounds like a really easy way of trying to motivate me to stay on track with my eating. Thanks for mentioning it. ;)
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    I know for me I usually crave something sweet after dinner. A nice herbal tea with some honey has been helping me immensely. The sweetness of the honey and the warm tea satisfies my brain's longing for sweets, my tummy is happier without the junk, and I can go to bed without feeling like I'm missing something. I'm currently cutting out dessert type junk food just because I was having a hard time keeping things in proportion and I wanted to slim down a bit for my wedding.

Although, now that I've been without sweets for about two months, every time I eat anything sweet (i.e. our cake tasting last week) I feel physically ill afterwards, which is just making me want it less.