Compromise when working out with other people???

Options
jr1985
jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
So... I like the idea of working out with other people in theory... Not so much in actuality...

I love that you get to see people and are not wasting the time/money eating out (which is about all there is to do in my town :( )

But... I feel like it is annoying to other people in the gym when you go ahead and have your conversation on the Cardio Machines loud enough to hear each other over all of the other gym noises.

There is always walking the track which is much more secluded... But first off I don't really like it, and second, the people that I work out with are in much better shape to begin with than I am, so I'm either completely out of breath just to keep up or they are not moving as fast as they would like to be moving...

I like that on the machines that we can in theory each go at our own pace... But again the people that generally want to meet up at the gym with will really give me a hard time if I dont' do their exact routine, even if I'm there with them the whole time at the machine next to them... but I have 100lbs on these girls, some of them are marathon runners... I can't even run a 'warm up mile"

Plus their gym ediquette as far as wiping down the machines, putting weights back etc is just terrible...

Any similar experiences?

Suggestions?

I do like getting to see them and like the idea of working out together in theory, any compromise?

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't work out with others for this very reason - and because my WO are my only "me" time. That said I do occasionally go running on the weekends with a neighbor. We do have our own pace and she's usually ahead of me and that's fine.

Wear headphones and listen to music during your WO to avoid the banter. It's one thing for your friends encourage you to challenge yourself, but sometimes it's enough to just have the accountability to make it to the gym together, but go about your own WO's.

Maybe sign up for a joint class or just make a point to say "I think I'm going to focus on X activity, you keep doing what you're doing and I'll see ya in an hour". Or something to that effect. Good Luck. It sounds like you need to assert yourself with your gym friends though or find WO buddies with the same intentions/goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you are talking while you are doing cardio- I feel like perhaps your cardio isn't challenging enough.

gym time isn't social time- sure it can be a thing to go do- but it's not social time.

I don't mind working out with other people- but it's rarely about chit chat
  • jr1985
    Options
    I don't work out with others for this very reason - and because my WO are my only "me" time. That said I do occasionally go running on the weekends with a neighbor. We do have our own pace and she's usually ahead of me and that's fine.

Wear headphones and listen to music during your WO to avoid the banter. It's one thing for your friends encourage you to challenge yourself, but sometimes it's enough to just have the accountability to make it to the gym together, but go about your own WO's.

Maybe sign up for a joint class or just make a point to say "I think I'm going to focus on X activity, you keep doing what you're doing and I'll see ya in an hour". Or something to that effect. Good Luck. It sounds like you need to assert yourself with your gym friends though or find WO buddies with the same intentions/goals.

Class sounds lke a good idea! then you can't really talk as much but still get your work out in!
  • jr1985
    Options
    if you are talking while you are doing cardio- I feel like perhaps your cardio isn't challenging enough.

gym time isn't social time- sure it can be a thing to go do- but it's not social time.

I don't mind working out with other people- but it's rarely about chit chat

I agree, I'd like to be working out hard enough to not be able to talk well... Which is at a lot lower rate than my marathon running friends :) I would love to meet up with people, maybe chat during warm up, then just leave around the same time as opposed to actually doing the same work outs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    So... I like the idea of working out with other people in theory... Not so much in actuality...

I love that you get to see people and are not wasting the time/money eating out (which is about all there is to do in my town :( )

But... I feel like it is annoying to other people in the gym when you go ahead and have your conversation on the Cardio Machines loud enough to hear each other over all of the other gym noises.

There is always walking the track which is much more secluded... But first off I don't really like it, and second, the people that I work out with are in much better shape to begin with than I am, so I'm either completely out of breath just to keep up or they are not moving as fast as they would like to be moving...

I like that on the machines that we can in theory each go at our own pace... But again the people that generally want to meet up at the gym with will really give me a hard time if I dont' do their exact routine, even if I'm there with them the whole time at the machine next to them... but I have 100lbs on these girls, some of them are marathon runners... I can't even run a 'warm up mile"

Plus their gym ediquette as far as wiping down the machines, putting weights back etc is just terrible...

Any similar experiences?

Suggestions?

I do like getting to see them and like the idea of working out together in theory, any compromise?
    I run into this alot. 2 friends want to train together, but one being way more fit than the other. So one of two things happen. I either modify for the lesser person, or have them do a different exercise altogether. They still get to work out together, but different programs.
    Now it's great if you can work out with people who WANT to compromise, but don't put them in a position that they have to. If a person has to "work down" to accommodate someone who is as fit, it stalls their progress. I wouldn't have a beginner workout with me on my program because they wouldn't be able to keep up.
    Another option is to do group class programs like yoga, Zumba, or say Les Mills bodypump together.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nourishnotpunish
    Options
    I HATE working out with others. Working out is my "me" time where I get to relieve all my stress and the last thing I want to hear about is the stress going on in someone else's life, lol. Also, no matter how hard I try to get an amazing workout WITH someone else... it just never compares to a workout with me, myself and I. I'm more focused and in the zone when I'm by myself.

My suggestion, just workout alone.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym together - go off in your own directions then agree to meet up for coffee or whatever at the end? I can understand that everyone is at different levels of fitness so unless you have someone at the same level it could be slowing them or you down. Or as previously suggested take a class together so that you are all exercising at your own levels and intensity. Eventually everyone will catch up with one another and it will be easier to workout together - lifting free weights could be an option as they rest between sets you would change up the weights and do your sets and vise versa.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I don't work out with others anymore. They always give up after a few weeks, or make me late, or even worse, try to talk me into doing something else too because they no longer feel like going.
    So basically I rearrange my life around another person for a month or two and they end up not going anymore. No thanks.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i was a "test subject" at my local college fr someone, and part of the class we did a jllian dvd. they were all fit and working hard, and due to my knees, i had to modify pretty much everything. and i felt self conscious because i didnt know the dvd and was way off, as everybody is the first time. classes are not for me. but i did enjoy working out with my niece. she was studying to be a personal trainer.