weight lifting everyday

Options
How do y'all feel about lifting upper body only everyday really would like some input on this

Replies

• steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    your muscles only grow when you give them time to rest. Besides, why would you ONLY do upper body? So no, I wouldn't recommend this at all
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    you'd be wasting some time and you'll have better results with rest/recovery built into your program. (1) recovery is when the building takes place. (2) without rest, you won't be lifting as much as you could.

Take it from Lyle:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/the-importance-of-rest.html
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    your muscles only grow when you give them time to rest. Besides, why would you ONLY do upper body? So no, I wouldn't recommend this at all

this^^ you should be fine with an upper/lower split, but upper every day with no rest and no leg work makes for a very unbalanced muscular system
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You build muscle by tearing them down then giving them time to recover and rebuild, a little stronger than before. The cycle takes 48 hours. By working the same muscles to exhaustion every day, you'd tear them down, tear them down some more, tear them down some more . . .

So no, don't do that.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

^ What he said.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

this^^ you should be fine with an upper/lower split, but upper every day with no rest and no leg work makes for a very unbalanced muscular system

^ And what he said too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    muscles don't grow in the gym. they grow on rest days.

and just google "everyday is upper body day" as to why you shouldn't do that.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Don't forget leg day.

Eventually your body needs a rest from strength training. I wouldn't do it everyday.. but listen to your body.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How do y'all feel about lifting upper body only everyday really would like some input on this

Umm...why no legs/lower body?

tumblr_m93kp18yja1r783tpo1_500.jpg
  • jvilla432
    Options
    I kind of figured y'all wouldn't recommend to do it everyday thanks for everybody's input. But I dont do legs cuz I'm doing insanity 6days a week I'm on my second round right now and just trying to add a little more muscle work.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    insanity isnt going to add muscle to your legs. its cardio. it will help with your deficit and cardiovascular health, but without resistance training you wont gain any muscle mass.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    44b.jpg
  • jvilla432
    Options
    So then its ok to work legs as well? I was told by some people not to work ur legs while doing the program but they never said why.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
  • jvilla432
    Options
    44b.jpg
    lol good one I think I get it now guys I need to do both lower and upper body lol
  • jlclabo
    Options
    your legs are a huge muscle group and need loads of heavy lifting to really grow. i personally work legs at least 2 days a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So then its ok to work legs as well? I was told by some people not to work ur legs while doing the program but they never said why.

What program?

as others have stated, the benefits of lifting come with rest...you don't want to work the same muscles or groups of muscles every single day...you'd be completely negating your work unless you were going for some major muscle endurance or something...and even then, you'd want to work full body and give yourself a couple days off.
  • jvilla432
    Options
    That sounds like a good deal I think I'll start doing that
  • jvilla432
    Options

What program?

as others have stated, the benefits of lifting come with rest...you don't want to work the same muscles or groups of muscles every single day...you'd be completely negating your work unless you were going for some major muscle endurance or something...and even then, you'd want to work full body and give yourself a couple days off.
    insanity
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I keep it simple, my 3 day work out plan. Day 1 Push, Day 2 Pull, Day 3 legs. With cardio and abs on each day. Years ago I would trade off and do 5x5`s from time to time.