For those who have started gaining

Options
I have inadvertently dropped weight from changes in training and mostly from giving up my chocolate addiction lol.

I am 43, 164cm small frame and about 45kg. This time last year I was about 50kg.

My questions are. How do you overcome the mental aversion to seeing numbers rise. And how have you done it healthily so it's not just gaining all fat. Which I'd be more than happy to do if it all went on my pitiful chest lol.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    keeping the food healthy won't stop you from gaining fat- but lifting weights will.

If you are after gainz- you have to eat. Start with a small surplus- 1-200 calories.

Wait a week or two- for me it was almost a month to see any significant changes. Depending on how much you are willing to put on and deal with will help. If you start having issues- go to maintenance and keep doing what you are doing only eat at maintenance. it should help- then you can go back up if you want.

Takes time and patience and some mental fortitude for sure.

and for me- wanting to get bigger was more important than putting on fat- doesn't make it easy- but my long term goal is more important than my personal comfort/discomfort in the now.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Just to add, you'll have to engage in progressive strength training and eat adequate protein-in addition to a calorie surplus-to ensure that a significant portion of the increased mass is from lean mass and not predominately fat. Depending on genetics, you could add 50%, more than, or less than 50% of surplus calories to lean mass.