Am I losing weight too fast?

Hi guys - I started on 1/20/14 weighing in at 141lbs, 5'7, 29yo Female. Waist: 28, Hips: 39

Measured today & weight was about 137lbs. Waist: 26.5, Hips: 37.5

Exercising 5x/week 30-40minutes of cardio and weight training 2x/week. I am portion controlling. Don't know how much I'm eating, but I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full.

My goal was to be down to 130lbs by June. Worried that I'm losing muscle mass by losing weight this quickly 'cus I anticipated losing about 2lbs/month. What's concerning me more is the 1.5inches I've lost on both waist and hips.

I don't want to be "skinny fat" - I'd have been fine at 141lbs, but my body was very soft & doughy so I decided to lose a few pounds to get a more toned look. Now I look slimmer, but is it mostly muscle mass I'm losing?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    You might be losing muscle. Maybe not. Why not starting today, start tracking your body fat %. It's really just an estimate, but it can help you gauge whether you're losing fat or muscle.

You can do it like the army does it, or use a calculator like this one. And, it might not be the exact correct number, but if you track the same method (measured the same time of day) for a long period, it will give you an idea if you're losing fat or losing muscle.

here's an online one that's like I'm talking about
    http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html
  • flame_retardant
    flame_retardant Posts: 49 Member
    Thanks - I will keep up with this. 22.6% body fat - that's a start. Don't have a goal, but I guess if I keep up with it, I'll at least know if the # is moving the right direction or the wrong direction.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    So, is your profile set for losing half a pound a week? Do you eat more for exercise (since MFP doesn't include that in its calculation)

You might want to focus more on the strength training, make sure you are getting enough protein (MFP protein goal is low), and do less cardio.
  • flame_retardant
    flame_retardant Posts: 49 Member
    Hey deskgrl, thanks for the reply.

I am eating back my exercise calories. But I don't want to let up on the cardio 'cus I'm really trying to build up my endurance. With the coming zombie apocalypse, running is going to be important. My goal is to run at 8mph for 40minutes at 2.5% incline by July. I've thinking about upping the strength-training for a while, but don't really know how to do it.

I am not controlling my protein too much - just cutting down on carbs 'cus I used to eat like 600-700 calories of rice everyday and just taking that down has been a big difference in my diet.
  • montoyarenee
    montoyarenee Posts: 15 Member
    You've lost 4 lbs in a little over a month. That's just under 1 lb per week, which is perfectly healthy. You can actually lose 2 lbs per week and that's ok.

If you are worried about muscle, do more strength training and make sure to refuel properly after the workout. Chocolate milk is the perfect protein drink for muscles, but if you don't like milk, eat a mix of protein and carbs.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Actually strength training helps build the muscles you need for running too :) It seems you're losing weight a healthy pace. Just make sure to eat tons of protein and lift.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    YOU GO!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    You've lost 4 lbs in a little over a month. That's just under 1 lb per week, which is perfectly healthy. You can actually lose 2 lbs per week and that's ok.

If you are worried about muscle, do more strength training and make sure to refuel properly after the workout. Chocolate milk is the perfect protein drink for muscles, but if you don't like milk, eat a mix of protein and carbs.

That's a recipe for muscle loss, trying to lose 2 pounds per week when you are a low body fat % and only 7 pounds from goal weight. It would be a detriment to her goal.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator

That's a recipe for muscle loss, trying to lose 2 pounds per week when you are a low body fat % and only 7 pounds from goal weight. It would be a detriment to her goal.

agreed, don't speed up your loss

lift and lift heavy

protein protein protein, try to get 0.5-1 g/ lb lbm