All change

Options
Started my diet 7 days ago and stuck to it religiously weighed myself for the first time since and only lost 3 lbs. should I feel discouraged because I was hoping for more than that

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Is there a typo in here...? 3lbs in 7 days is a LOT.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    That's more than the max of what you should be losing a week (granted, it usually comes off fast in the beginning) so no, you shouldn't be disappointed.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker you have about 25 pounds to lose. Is that accurate?

If so, then 1 pound a week is about what you want to aim for. There are going to be good weeks and bad weeks throughout this process and even weeks where you do everything right and don't lose anything. 3 pounds your first week is great progress. Congratulations!

2cgevdh.jpg
  • Manonmission01
    Manonmission01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys the only reason I thought it would be more was because I have been in the gym lifting and doing running, cross trainer and swimming 5 out of 7 days and walking too and from work which is about 6-8 miles per day so I thought I was well under my calories for the day
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys the only reason I thought it would be more was because I have been in the gym lifting and doing running, cross trainer and swimming 5 out of 7 days and walking too and from work which is about 6-8 miles per day so I thought I was well under my calories for the day

Well obviously you were under your calories...you lost almost half a pound a day!! I don't get it, how much did you expect to lose?
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    3 pounds in a week is brilliant, well done. Now keep at it and don't feel discouraged if your weight loss slows. It's a long process but very, very worth it.
  • Manonmission01
    Options
    In my mind think I was probably hoping for somewhere around the 5 pound mark. Looks like I was aiming too high. I understand its a slow process and if it was that easy then we'd all have the body that we would be happy with ha :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've never ever lost three pounds in a week. Great work.

Now, that said, it WILL slow down. With little to lose .5 or 1 (at most) or less is more likely.

Don't let that discourage you.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

If you just started doing these workouts, you actually may have lost a bit more than you think. When a new workout routine is implemented, your body holds a lot of water for repair of the muscles that weren't adapted to getting worked out.

No matter the case, you are off to a great start so don't get discouraged.

You got this!
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You may not experience the same loss again next week. It doesn't happen linearly btw. Just saying, if you find it was less next week.
  • shmeganrose
    shmeganrose Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lucky! I worked really hard this week and had only a 1 pound loss. Feel good about your 3 :)
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You are kidding right? 3 lbs is above average weigh loss! This is why so many people quit bc they dont think they lose enough or fast enough! Slow and steady wins the race!!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

If so, then 1 pound a week is about what you want to aim for. There are going to be good weeks and bad weeks throughout this process and even weeks where you do everything right and don't lose anything. 3 pounds your first week is great progress. Congratulations!

2cgevdh.jpg

This. Plus visuals help... at least for me. Feel happy you got any ugly fat off of you. It takes time, but you'll see rewards soon enough.
  • Manonmission01
    Options
    :smile:
  • cnl91_W
    cnl91_W Posts: 89 Member
    Options

2cgevdh.jpg

HAHA every time I see this image I want to puke but I love it at the same time.

But seriously, 3 lbs is a lot. In the first week it's pretty normal, but there's no way you should let yourself be disappointed over that!
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

2cgevdh.jpg

This visual really puts it into perspective! 3 lbs in one week is amazing!!