Lent

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
Now before we get started, I do Lent in memory of my Grandpa. We were raised Catholic, but got the choice to participate when we were 15. Grandpa was VERY Catholic, and has since past away. Every year, in memory of him, we participate in Lent. What are you give up (or going to do that's special) for Lent? I haven't even thought about it yet, i failed miserably last year when I gave up all booze.

Exclaimer, today is the anniversary of my grandpa's death, please have a heart and don't rip me a new *kitten*.

Thank-you

Edit to add: Lent is from March 5th - April 17th

Replies

• loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    See below
  • lilRicki
    Options
    See below

nice, that's actually a great idea
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    What are you give up (or going to do that's special) for Lent?

Haven't given a great deal of thought yet but most likely *kitten* or dessert.
    I am leaning toward dessert as the easier choice (think Seinfled).
  • lilRicki
    Options
    What are you give up (or going to do that's special) for Lent?

Haven't given a great deal of thought yet but most likely *kitten* or dessert.
    I am leaning toward dessert as the easier choice (think Seinfled).

lmao *kitten* isn't special...but dessert sure is.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    lmao *kitten* isn't special..

I dunno 'bout that. Personally that would be tough to go without. I'm like Crammer.

"I'm Out!"

http://youtu.be/89Ob_QmJu2o
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options
    I'm not Catholic but I do believe I'm going to participate in Lent this year to support a friend of mine. I'll be giving up flour based products. Bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, crackers etc. I think it's wonderful that your doing this in remembrance of your grandfather, I'm sure he would be proud :-)
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up dieting. .
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Nothing.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I hate emptying the tray in the dryer, I always forget!!!!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I usually give up chocolate :)
  • Chrissee
    Chrissee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    See below
    Great idea but I think I would go bonkers! Whether I should or not, I RELY on that scale:tongue: I work with sophomores at our church and they all have to come to Ash Wednesday mass next week prepared to give up or do something extra special for Lent. Problem is I have to set a good example and have no idea what I will do...chocolate isn't a big deal for me, booze is but sadly I am not willing to go without that for the long haul, lol! I need ideas!
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options

You are one hell of a woman :drinker:
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Lol it's hard as hell, but I usually do pretty ok with it! I eat chocolate a lot, so it's a huge one for me to give up. The point of Lent is to make a pretty big sacrifice, and eating no chocolate is mine! LOl
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options

Lol it's hard as hell, but I usually do pretty ok with it! I eat chocolate a lot, so it's a huge one for me to give up. The point of Lent is to make a pretty big sacrifice, and eating no chocolate is mine! LOl

Thats great! Well bread is definitely a huge one for me. I eat 2 slices every morning and could sit down and eat a whole pack of those Hawaiian Sweet Rolls so this is going to be a huge diet readjustment. Oh boy, what did I just get myself into?? Lol
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Now before we get started, I do Lent in memory of my Grandpa. We were raised Catholic, but got the choice to participate when we were 15. Grandpa was VERY Catholic, and has since past away. Every year, in memory of him, we participate in Lent. What are you give up (or going to do that's special) for Lent? I haven't even thought about it yet, i failed miserably last year when I gave up all booze.

Exclaimer, today is the anniversary of my grandpa's death, please have a heart and don't rip me a new *kitten*.

Thank-you

Edit to add: Lent is from March 5th - April 17th

Very sorry for your loss.

Here is the link to another thread about Lent that was started just few days ago: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1209146-anyone-participating-in-lent-this-year

Edited too add: Just for you to see what other members are doing or giving up.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I don't typically celebrate/observe Lent, but my dad was raised Catholic (although he has not been since before I was born). But one year I decided to give up stepping on the scale for Lent :laugh:

But it wasn't being snide or anything. I was literally weighing myself many times a day and obsessing about it. It was soooo hard for me to not step on the scale once for those weeks. But by the end, I was over the unhealthy obsession and could just monitor it weekly.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Someone on a previous thread said swearing ...so I am going to join them

Ill go to a noon mass 3 days a week